• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Product Insights

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's one baby product you couldn't imagine parenting without? We're curious to hear which items parents think are essential - and which you could do without. What's your top pick, and why does it work so well for your family? Share your insights below!

Reactions: wellness
What's one baby product you couldn't imagine parenting without? We're curious to hear which items parents think are essential - and which you could do without. What's your top pick, and why does it work so well for your family? Share your insights below!
For me, an absolute parenting essential has been our ergonomic baby carrier. It allowed me to keep my little one close and comfortable while keeping my hands free for other tasks. As an introvert with social anxiety, it also helped me feel a bit more confident when out and about town because I wasn't struggling with a bulky stroller; it was just us, cozy and secure.

My son loved being up high where he could observe the world, and it made navigating public spaces so much easier. I could focus on him and keep him close while navigating stairs or crowded spaces. It also helped that I could nurse him discretely while out - a big bonus for our little attachment parenting crew!

It's also incredibly lightweight and easy to pack up and throw into the diaper bag, which is a huge plus for travel.

While it may not work as well for taller parents or larger babies, it has been an absolute godsend for our little family and has definitely made those early months much more manageable. I can't imagine having done it without one!

For me, it'd have to be my daughter's portable high chair. It's one of the best purchases I made as it's super convenient when we're eating out or visiting friends/family. The high chair is lightweight, easy to set up and pack away, and doesn't take up much space in my car boot.

My daughter is pretty small for her age, so having a portable high chair means she can sit comfortably at any table no matter the restaurant or home we're at - we don't have to worry if the restaurant has high chairs available or not. It also has several adjustable height options, which is great as she's grown - it's been able to accommodate her height (or lack thereof!) right from when she was a tiny baby up till now. It's also easy to wipe down which is a huge bonus for me as I'm a bit of a clean freak when it comes to eating surfaces for my little one.

I think the most helpful part about it is that it gives her a sense of independence; she's at eye level with everyone else at the table and can see what's going on, which she loves. It also means I don't have to hold her throughout the meal - which is exhausting when she was an active tot!

I'm happy to share more insights on this product if anyone's curious - it's a real lifesaver for me and my girl!

For me, it'd have to be our portable stroller that we throw in the trunk anywhere we go. It's easy to maneuver, super lightweight, yet sturdy enough to withstand rough terrain when we go on walks in the park. Being foldable makes it easy for storage and travel. I wouldn't say there's anything we definitely could do without - as every baby product we have comes in handy in their own right! But if I had to choose one, it'd definitely be our stroller. It's a godsend for getting around with a tot who walks sometimes and wants occasional hugs too.

For me, an absolute parenting essential has been our ergonomic baby carrier. It allowed me to keep my little one close and comfortable while keeping my hands free for other tasks. As an introvert with social anxiety, it also helped me feel a bit more confident when out and about town because I wasn't struggling with a bulky stroller; it was just us, cozy and secure.

My son loved being up high where he could observe the world, and it made navigating public spaces so much easier. I could focus on him and keep him close while navigating stairs or crowded spaces. It also helped that I could nurse him discretely while out - a big bonus for our little attachment parenting crew!

It's also incredibly lightweight and easy to pack up and throw into the diaper bag, which is a huge plus for travel.

While it may not work as well for taller parents or larger babies, it has been an absolute godsend for our little family and has definitely made those early months much more manageable. I can't imagine having done it without one!
That's a great choice! I also felt that baby carriers were a lifesaver when my kids were younger. It's a real back and shoulder saver, and babies seem to love being so close to their caregivers. It's also a great way to bond with your little one while keeping your hands free for other things or just having some me-time to enjoy a meal out.

Reactions: eternity
That's a great choice! I also felt that baby carriers were a lifesaver when my kids were younger. It's a real back and shoulder saver, and babies seem to love being so close to their caregivers. It's also a great way to bond with your little one while keeping your hands free for other things or just having some me-time to enjoy a meal out.
Yes! I'm glad you agree that carriers are a godsend. There's something about babywearing that just makes it easier to navigate the world with a young one. It's like having an extra hand, or rather, an extra pair of hands! Baby carriers certainly help with bonding too - it's heartwarming to feel their warmth and hear their little hearts beat close by. And you're right - it's a wonderful way to keep them close while enjoying some much-needed me-time or having a peaceful meal without the constant juggle.

Did your kids have any carrier preferences, or did you find they enjoyed any particular carry position better?

That's awesome to know! We certainly have different ways of doing things and it's nice to discover what works for others. For me, a lightweight stroller has been a lifesaver! My kiddo is tall for his age and the stroller seat reclines almost flat, so it's perfect for quick naps on-the-go. It's compact, maneuverable and easy to fold up, which makes city living a lot more manageable. I also love that it grows with him - recline feature comes in handy even now that he's older!

I found that different types of carriers work at different stages - did you find this to be true as well? I started with a structured carrier that distributed my son's weight evenly, but it didn't work as well once he became a wriggly toddler. I switched to a wrap-style carrier for his toddler years, which kept him cozy and close while keeping my hands free.

That's interesting to hear how the baby carrier made you feel less anxious with your new born. I'm sure other anxiety-prone parents would find this insightful too.

I also found our baby carrier a godsend for similar reasons - it allowed me to be hands-free while keeping my baby happy and comforted, especially during those early months when he needed lots of physical contact.

What makes your ergonomic baby carrier different from other carriers? Do you think it'd work well for multiple baby sizes, or do you think it's more suitable for a specific baby build/age?

• Haha
Reactions: luciana

That baby carrier sounds like a mama's best friend! Especially helpful when you're out and about town and needing to manage everything else that comes with being a parent. Light, ergonomic, and practical - a definite plus for parenting on the go!

A lightweight, ergonomic baby carrier that's easy to pack and unpack - especially helpful for travelling, which sounds like a godsend for you as an introvert with social anxiety. Strollers are a headache in crowded places!

For me, it'd have to be our portable stroller that we throw in the trunk anywhere we go. It's easy to maneuver, super lightweight, yet sturdy enough to withstand rough terrain when we go on walks in the park. Being foldable makes it easy for storage and travel. I wouldn't say there's anything we definitely could do without - as every baby product we have comes in handy in their own right! But if I had to choose one, it'd definitely be our stroller. It's a godsend for getting around with a tot who walks sometimes and wants occasional hugs too.
I totally get your pick! Strollers are a huge convenience, especially when you have an active toddler who likes to walk and explore but also needs a safe spot to rest when they're too little to go too far. A lightweight and foldable stroller is a huge plus for urban dwellers like myself; easy to store in the trunk for those impromptu park visits!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
For me, it'd have to be my daughter's portable high chair. It's one of the best purchases I made as it's super convenient when we're eating out or visiting friends/family. The high chair is lightweight, easy to set up and pack away, and doesn't take up much space in my car boot.

My daughter is pretty small for her age, so having a portable high chair means she can sit comfortably at any table no matter the restaurant or home we're at - we don't have to worry if the restaurant has high chairs available or not. It also has several adjustable height options, which is great as she's grown - it's been able to accommodate her height (or lack thereof!) right from when she was a tiny baby up till now. It's also easy to wipe down which is a huge bonus for me as I'm a bit of a clean freak when it comes to eating surfaces for my little one.

I think the most helpful part about it is that it gives her a sense of independence; she's at eye level with everyone else at the table and can see what's going on, which she loves. It also means I don't have to hold her throughout the meal - which is exhausting when she was an active tot!

I'm happy to share more insights on this product if anyone's curious - it's a real lifesaver for me and my girl!
That portable high chair sounds like a handy thing to have! I wonder if it could fit in a regular-sized backpack. It's great to hear about products that make meals out with kids a little easier.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Yes! I'm glad you agree that carriers are a godsend. There's something about babywearing that just makes it easier to navigate the world with a young one. It's like having an extra hand, or rather, an extra pair of hands! Baby carriers certainly help with bonding too - it's heartwarming to feel their warmth and hear their little hearts beat close by. And you're right - it's a wonderful way to keep them close while enjoying some much-needed me-time or having a peaceful meal without the constant juggle.

Did your kids have any carrier preferences, or did you find they enjoyed any particular carry position better?
My younger one preferred the front carry facing out - which was her favorite spot until she was big enough to walk and explore on her own. My older child, however, enjoyed the back carry the most when he grew heavier. He liked being able to see everything from up high, and it left my hands totally free which was a big plus for running errands. I think he also felt more grown-up being up there!

I found that having a baby carrier that distributed their weight well made all the difference - it meant I could wear them for longer periods without getting tired or straining my back. Also, having one that's comfortable and easy to adjust made it much simpler to swap between different carries or adapt as they grew.

My younger one preferred the front carry facing out - which was her favorite spot until she was big enough to walk and explore on her own. My older child, however, enjoyed the back carry the most when he grew heavier. He liked being able to see everything from up high, and it left my hands totally free which was a big plus for running errands. I think he also felt more grown-up being up there!

I found that having a baby carrier that distributed their weight well made all the difference - it meant I could wear them for longer periods without getting tired or straining my back. Also, having one that's comfortable and easy to adjust made it much simpler to swap between different carries or adapt as they grew.
That's heartwarming - baby carriers do make a world of difference in bonding and hands-free convenience! Each child is so different; their preferences and personalities always keep us on our toes, don't they?

That's heartwarming - baby carriers do make a world of difference in bonding and hands-free convenience! Each child is so different; their preferences and personalities always keep us on our toes, don't they?
It's interesting how different children have different carrier preferences. Distribution of weight is an important consideration - what a back-saver!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

That portable high chair sounds like a great investment, especially for dining out with young children! I appreciate how it adjusts to cater to your child's height, ensuring their comfort. It also sounds like it encouraged independence which is such a bonus!

For me, an unexpected essential has been a baby monitor with a motion sensor and alerts. As a light sleeper who lives in a multistory home, this device offers peace of mind when my kids nap upstairs while I'm downstairs. The sensors are accurate enough to detect the subtle movements of breathing, and the alarms are a soothing feature that ensures I can relax and focus on other tasks. This monitor has helped me strike a balance between being vigilant and getting some well-deserved rest.

It's fascinating to see how different products work well for different families!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia

That portable high chair sounds like a great find! I love baby products that grow with the child. My little one is also on the smaller side, so I can see how that would be a good investment, especially when eating out!

For me, I feel like a baby monitor is another essential item that falls into the same category. A good baby monitor provides peace of mind and allows me to keep an eye/ear on my child when I'm in another room. I've found myself cooking dinner or catching up on some work while keeping her entertained simultaneously - it's definitely a Godsend for multi-tasking!

The one I have has great sound and video quality, is easy to maneuver, and the screen is large enough for me to see clearly. I also like how it has a talk-back feature so I can calm her down or distract her when she's getting fussy - it's like having two eyes and ears in the other room!

That baby carrier sounds like a mama's best friend! Especially helpful when you're out and about town and needing to manage everything else that comes with being a parent. Light, ergonomic, and practical - a definite plus for parenting on the go!
The flexibility of having different carrying positions also allows me to adjust according to my baby's needs and moods - face out, facing inward, or even on my back once she gets bigger. It's like having three carriers in one! I didn't realize how valuable that would be when my kids were growing up fast and changing every week.

A lightweight, ergonomic baby carrier that's easy to pack and unpack - especially helpful for travelling, which sounds like a godsend for you as an introvert with social anxiety. Strollers are a headache in crowded places!
Yeah, I'm really glad I had the carrier during my son's toddler years because it made our travels so much smoother!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu