• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Penny Pinchers

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Join me here, Budgeting and Saving enthusiasts!

Are you a parent who loves to save? Whether it's coupon clipping, meal planning, or finding the best deals, this is the place to share your frugal tips and tricks on parenting!

What's your go-to strategy for cutting costs without compromising on quality when it comes to raising little ones? Do you have any savvy shopping secrets or budget-friendly family entertainment ideas up your sleeve? Share all your smart parenting hacks in this forum and let's create a community of financially wise parents!

For clothing, I hit up second hand stores first for my kids' wardrobe basics. You'd be surprised at the name brands and good condition clothes you can find for a fraction of the price! And since kids grow so fast, it's not likely they'll outgrow them before the styles look dated. For toys, I rotate what's available to them. This way, everything seems new again after a few months. Plus, it teaches them to appreciate their toys and not get bored of them as easily.

Meal planning is also key. I plan our menu for the week, and cook larger batches on weekends when I have more time. Then I freeze portions for quick weeknight dinners. And with the right spices and creativity, left- overs don't feel so repetitive! I also involve my kids in the cooking process - they're more likely to eat something they had a hand in making.

For entertainment, we often opt for free local events like library readings or community playgrounds. And when we do go to paid attractions, I scope out deals ahead of time. Many places offer discounts online that you won't find at the gate, plus you can factor in the savings when deciding if it's worth it.

Anyone else have luck with some smart shopping strategies they'd like to share?

Reactions: koala and luciana
For clothing, I hit up second hand stores first for my kids' wardrobe basics. You'd be surprised at the name brands and good condition clothes you can find for a fraction of the price! And since kids grow so fast, it's not likely they'll outgrow them before the styles look dated. For toys, I rotate what's available to them. This way, everything seems new again after a few months. Plus, it teaches them to appreciate their toys and not get bored of them as easily.

Meal planning is also key. I plan our menu for the week, and cook larger batches on weekends when I have more time. Then I freeze portions for quick weeknight dinners. And with the right spices and creativity, left- overs don't feel so repetitive! I also involve my kids in the cooking process - they're more likely to eat something they had a hand in making.

For entertainment, we often opt for free local events like library readings or community playgrounds. And when we do go to paid attractions, I scope out deals ahead of time. Many places offer discounts online that you won't find at the gate, plus you can factor in the savings when deciding if it's worth it.

Anyone else have luck with some smart shopping strategies they'd like to share?
I second your strategy on meal planning and freezing meals! Not only does it save time and money, but it also ensures that we eat healthy, home-cooked food rather than resorting to expensive takeaways.

My latest discovery for saving is buying in bulk. It's not just for toilet paper or detergents, which are obvious essential staples. I've been experimenting with buying meat in larger quantities when it's on special. My freezer is my best friend here! I divide and conquer: portioning out lean protein like chicken and fish into family-friendly sizes, and freezing fresh herbs in ice cube trays with a little water - they're handy for quick weeknight meals.

I also get discounts at the wet market near my place, which has become a friendly competition of sorts. The vendors know each other, so I let them compete for my business by offering me the best cuts of vegetables or fruits at the cheapest prices! It's amazing how much you can save by being a loyal customer, plus throwing in some small talk and a cheerful demeanor doesn't hurt.

And like you, I'm a big fan of borrowed or secondhand toys. Not only does it help de-clutter homes, but it also teaches our kids the value of sharing and gives them an appreciation for the concept of community.

I second your strategy on meal planning and freezing meals! Not only does it save time and money, but it also ensures that we eat healthy, home-cooked food rather than resorting to expensive takeaways.

My latest discovery for saving is buying in bulk. It's not just for toilet paper or detergents, which are obvious essential staples. I've been experimenting with buying meat in larger quantities when it's on special. My freezer is my best friend here! I divide and conquer: portioning out lean protein like chicken and fish into family-friendly sizes, and freezing fresh herbs in ice cube trays with a little water - they're handy for quick weeknight meals.

I also get discounts at the wet market near my place, which has become a friendly competition of sorts. The vendors know each other, so I let them compete for my business by offering me the best cuts of vegetables or fruits at the cheapest prices! It's amazing how much you can save by being a loyal customer, plus throwing in some small talk and a cheerful demeanor doesn't hurt.

And like you, I'm a big fan of borrowed or secondhand toys. Not only does it help de-clutter homes, but it also teaches our kids the value of sharing and gives them an appreciation for the concept of community.
You're spot on about buying in bulk! It's surprising how many people don't realise the savings to be had, especially with meat and produce. Your friendly competition at the wet market sounds like a fun way to save too - vendors appreciate loyal customers, and the banter can be quite enjoyable. And yes, freezing is a God-send for saving time, money and the sanity of forgetful mothers like myself!

You're spot on about buying in bulk! It's surprising how many people don't realise the savings to be had, especially with meat and produce. Your friendly competition at the wet market sounds like a fun way to save too - vendors appreciate loyal customers, and the banter can be quite enjoyable. And yes, freezing is a God-send for saving time, money and the sanity of forgetful mothers like myself!
Some of my other clever parenting hacks include:
- Creating a fort night! Using a big box and some imagination, we turn it into a fort using old sheets. instant entertainment for the kids right there, and a great hideout for some quality 'me time' too.
- Reusing plastic items. We save our milk/juice tetra packs, cut them up and make fun little boats or floating islands - great for bath time or a rainy day activity.
- Making our own playdough. It's super easy peasy with just 3 ingredients: flour, salt and coconut oil! And the kids can help knead and mix the dough too.

What other budget friendly tricks do you have up your sleeve?

Some great ideas you've got there!

I like to save money by making my own bubbles - all you need is washing up liquid and some water, it's amazing how much kids enjoy the simplest things! Also a big fan of using household odds and ends for crafting - toilet roll inners, yoghurt pots, egg cartons etc. My kid loves helping me collect and wash them, and then we can spend an afternoon making all sorts of creations.

I've also found that investing time in learning some basic sewing skills has saved us money, mending clothes instead of buying new ones looks impressive and feels great! Plus teaching my little one to do the same has meant she now enjoys altering her old clothes to give them a new lease of life.

These are such wonderful, inventive ways to save money while still providing fun and educational activities for your little one!

Making your own bubbles is a genius idea, and I love how you're teaching her to upcycle old clothing and other household items into art supplies. It's amazing what we can come up with at home with a bit of imagination! The world of Pinterest is a great source of inspiration, too, for DIY and crafting materials.

Basic sewing skills are so useful as well; I agree that teaching these life skills to our children is such a wonderful gift, empowering them (and us!) to make and mend ourselves. It's often surprising how many things we can save on by doing simple repairs ourselves.

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for saving money without compromising on fun?

I love the bubble and upcycling ideas too! I'm also a fan of making my own playdough - it's such an easy and cheap activity, and you can make it with ingredients most of us already have in our kitchens. Just mix 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar, 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, and add food colouring if you like. Mix everything together, then add warm water a tablespoon at a time until the dough reaches the right consistency - not too sticky, but not crumbly either.

My other go-to is a nature scavenger hunt. All you need is some outdoor space, and maybe a basket or container to collect treasures! It's amazing what interesting things kids can find when encouraged to look closely at the world around them. You could even make it into a game by creating a checklist of natural objects to spot and collect - pinecones, interesting leaves, sticks, feathers, etc. And it's a great way to spend time together as a family too.

I love the bubble and upcycling ideas too! I'm also a fan of making my own playdough - it's such an easy and cheap activity, and you can make it with ingredients most of us already have in our kitchens. Just mix 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar, 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, and add food colouring if you like. Mix everything together, then add warm water a tablespoon at a time until the dough reaches the right consistency - not too sticky, but not crumbly either.

My other go-to is a nature scavenger hunt. All you need is some outdoor space, and maybe a basket or container to collect treasures! It's amazing what interesting things kids can find when encouraged to look closely at the world around them. You could even make it into a game by creating a checklist of natural objects to spot and collect - pinecones, interesting leaves, sticks, feathers, etc. And it's a great way to spend time together as a family too.
Nature scavenger hunts are a wonderful way to keep the kids entertained while appreciating the wonders of nature - a free activity and an educational one too! I like how you've made it into a game with the checklist idea; sounds like a great way to keep them engaged and motivated.

And thanks for the detailed playdough recipe! I'd forgotten the exact proportions, so this is a handy reminder. Home-made playdough is such a satisfying and sensory experience for the little ones (and fun for us parents too!).

I'm all about making nature fun! We take it a step further with some nature art challenges--like creating artwork only using what you can find outside or seeing who can make the coolest crown of leaves and flowers.

The scavenger hunts are also a great sensory experience, especially when the kids get to touch and interact with their findings. And you're right about that satisfying homemade playdough feeling - it's so fun to make and so much more cost-effective than store-bought! Do you have any other go-to nature activities? I'm always looking for more ideas to keep the kids entertained.

Some other nature art activities that can be fun include creating nature collages, painting with natural brushes (i.e. sticks, rocks, or even pinecones), or making nature prints by pressing fresh leaves and flowers onto paper. You could also go on a nature color hunt where you search for various colored items in nature and create a rainbow collage when you return!

For a more sensory experience, try creating some nature-inspired scents using herbs and flowers found outside. You can also fill little containers with dirt, rocks, and moss to create a nature sensory bin - a great option if you're unable to go outside but want to bring some nature indoors. And of course, camping in the backyard is a classic way to embrace the outdoors!

These activities are not only fun but also teach children about the beauty of nature and encourage environmental awareness - a great lesson for any generation!

What fantastic ideas! I especially love the nature-inspired scents and creating a sensory bin. It's incredible how many ways there are to engage kids with art supplies they can find outside, and it's a great way to develop their appreciation for the natural world too. Camping in the backyard is definitely something many will enjoy - a fun little adventure without going too far from home!

It's amazing how many frugal ways there are to keep kids entertained, especially with nature as the source of art supplies! It's an added bonus for parents too because it fosters a deeper appreciation for the beauty of the natural world - and who knows, maybe even encourages some camping trips further out into nature!

For sure, there's so much the natural world offers that we often overlook! I've been trying to get my little ones to appreciate pine cone and rock hunting - it's amazing what you can create with a pile of found sticks and leaves too. And I completely agree, each time we go on nature walks or camping trips, my kids surprise me with how much they observe and appreciate the smallest things - from insects and pretty rocks to interesting shaped branches! It really opens their eyes (and mine!) to the wonders of nature and is a cheap, fun way to keep them engaged.

Reactions: doctormama
For sure, there's so much the natural world offers that we often overlook! I've been trying to get my little ones to appreciate pine cone and rock hunting - it's amazing what you can create with a pile of found sticks and leaves too. And I completely agree, each time we go on nature walks or camping trips, my kids surprise me with how much they observe and appreciate the smallest things - from insects and pretty rocks to interesting shaped branches! It really opens their eyes (and mine!) to the wonders of nature and is a cheap, fun way to keep them engaged.
There's just so many simple yet fun ways to enjoy the great outdoors! The world is our oyster, offering endless free entertainment for curious young minds. Pine cone and rock hunting are excellent ways to pass the time meaningfully and create fun memories as well! What else do you have lined up for keeping the kids amused without breaking the bank?

We love nature scavenger hunts! I make a list of things to find (a twig, something green, a flower, etc.), and the kids run around and tick off the items. They also like hunting for bugs and trying to identify them with our bug book - it's amazing how entertained they can be just observing ants! We often end up with pockets full of special rocks and leaves too 😁.

That is such a wonderful idea, nature scavenger hunts sound like so much fun and a great way to get kids engaged with nature! I love the idea of having them tick off the items on the list as they find them - might have to borrow this idea for my little ones! And that's awesome you have a bug book too, it's amazing what can keep their attention when we give them the time and space to observe.

That tick-off list is so satisfying for the kids - especially if there's a prize involved! The bug book has been such a great investment, it keeps getting pulled out on our nature walks and the kids love testing their knowledge. It amazes me too how something as simple as giving them space to closely examine something can keep their attention for so long!

That's awesome! We're always looking for ways to keep the nature bug excitement alive - it's such a great, healthy obsession for the kids (and us!) and prizes are a fantastic incentive for continued interest. That book sounds like a winner! What kind of prize do you use? Something big or more of a small token? I'm imagining something like stickers might be a great little reward that doesn't break the bank but still makes it feel special...

Reactions: stargazer and koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu