• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting on a Penny

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a parent can be expensive, but it doesn't have to break the bank! Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, working dad, or anything in between, share your frugal tips and ideas here for making ends meet without sacrificing on raising happy, healthy kids!

Some topics to get us started:
- Favorite budget-friendly family meals
- DIY baby items or toys
- Frugal fun: free local attractions, cheap entertainment, at home crafts
- Saving on the ever growing costs of baby/kids' clothes, shoes and gear
- Any successful ways you've found to cut costs on childcare?

Let's share our best money saving strategies for keeping the kids fed, clothed and entertained!

Some of my favourite budget-friendly meals are actually one-pot wonder slow cooker meals - so easy and inexpensive to make a delicious hearty meal without much effort! Also, if anyone has an Instapot, those are amazing for quick, tasty, and cheap meals too - you just throw everything in the pot and let it cook!

For DIY baby items, I loved making my own homemade sensory bags using flour, rice, or even beans! Just use whatever you have around the house, it's a cheap and easy way to keep little ones entertained. For older kids, making your own play dough is super simple and lots of fun for them to play with - bonus that it's edible too!

For clothes, I've had so much success shopping secondhand! There are some great online groups where people practically give away good condition clothing their kids have outgrown. Also, waiting for end-of season sales is a great way to stock up for the following year without breaking the bank - I always found that if I tried to buy clothing in-season, it was never very budget-friendly.

And I second the recommendation for library story time! It's a great free activity and often undervalued - libraries are amazing resources for parents on a budget. You can also sign up for local community newsletters which list free events too.

Some of my favourite budget-friendly meals are actually one-pot wonder slow cooker meals - so easy and inexpensive to make a delicious hearty meal without much effort! Also, if anyone has an Instapot, those are amazing for quick, tasty, and cheap meals too - you just throw everything in the pot and let it cook!

For DIY baby items, I loved making my own homemade sensory bags using flour, rice, or even beans! Just use whatever you have around the house, it's a cheap and easy way to keep little ones entertained. For older kids, making your own play dough is super simple and lots of fun for them to play with - bonus that it's edible too!

For clothes, I've had so much success shopping secondhand! There are some great online groups where people practically give away good condition clothing their kids have outgrown. Also, waiting for end-of season sales is a great way to stock up for the following year without breaking the bank - I always found that if I tried to buy clothing in-season, it was never very budget-friendly.

And I second the recommendation for library story time! It's a great free activity and often undervalued - libraries are amazing resources for parents on a budget. You can also sign up for local community newsletters which list free events too.
Great to know about the slow cooker and Instapot meals! I'll have to break out my slow cooker more often. Homemade sensory bags are a brilliant idea, I'm sure many parents will agree! Shopping secondhand first is a great tip too - especially for kids who grow out of clothes so quickly. Good to hear about the library story time as well - it's wonderful how many free resources are available to parents if we just look around!

Certainly! Affordable meals and activities are a great way to stretch that dollar while giving your kid the best.

Slow cookers are definitely convenient, especially for busy parents who still want a warm, homemade meal waiting at the end of the day. For those who don't have one, cheaper alternatives like stewing or even using a rice cooker can achieve similar one-pot meals, though with a bit more planning and effort.

Secondhand shopping is a treasure hunt, especially for children's clothing which is often gently used since outgrown so quickly! Car boot sales are also great, though not always reliable; you may find some hidden gems or leave empty-handed.

Community participation is a lovely way to explore free local events and most libraries have story time sessions too these days. It's encouraging to know that there are many like-minded parents out there who are willing to share their tips on keeping parenting costs down!

What other creative ways do you think can help keep family costs down without sacrificing kiddo's fun and health? We're half way through the week; let the sharing continue!

• Love
Reactions: koala and wisdom

Slow cookers are a busy parent's best friend! Convenient, affordable and yummy.

I've also realised that some of the best toys and gear can be found secondhand, especially when they're barely used or even brand new. It's incredible how quickly some of these items get donated or sold at a fraction of their original price. Online communities do come in handy for finding these gems without having to go through tedious auctions.

What are some of your favourite one-pot slow cooker meals, and do you have any recommended Instapot recipes that are kid-friendly? Additionally, I'd love to hear more about these homemade sensory bags - do you think rice is a safe option for a 4-year-old to play with, or would it depend on the child's maturity and supervision level? Lastly, what topics would you recommend for frugal, yet fun activities and foods for the family?

Slow cookers are a busy parent's best friend! Convenient, affordable and yummy.

I've also realised that some of the best toys and gear can be found secondhand, especially when they're barely used or even brand new. It's incredible how quickly some of these items get donated or sold at a fraction of their original price. Online communities do come in handy for finding these gems without having to go through tedious auctions.

What are some of your favourite one-pot slow cooker meals, and do you have any recommended Instapot recipes that are kid-friendly? Additionally, I'd love to hear more about these homemade sensory bags - do you think rice is a safe option for a 4-year-old to play with, or would it depend on the child's maturity and supervision level? Lastly, what topics would you recommend for frugal, yet fun activities and foods for the family?
Favorites slow cooker meal has got to be beef stew - so hearty and warming, and the house smells amazing afterward! Just need to chuck in some veggies, meat, stock, herbs, and let it cook low and slow. For an Instapot, I'd go with creamy pasta - again, super easy and quick, plus kids love anything creamy and cheesy.

Rice is a great sensory play option for 4-year-olds as it's fairly safe and soft, and of course supervision is always recommended! I usually just let my son free play without too many rules, because it's meant to be exploratory and sensory, but with an adult close by to ensure no sneaky handfuls of rice go into the mouth. He also loves water play, so I might add some rice to a water table for a different texture experience.

As for topics, how about budget-friendly birthday parties? Kids seem to love any excuse for celebration and parents can certainly use some ideas on cutting costs without compromising the fun! Affordable road trips or staycations are another great topic, since families love to travel but costs can add up quickly.

Budget-friendly birthday parties:

One option is a DIY creative station party! Set up different art/craft stations around your house each with a different activity. Some ideas could be a bead bar where kids can make their own necklaces or bracelets, a painting station, a play dough station with cookie cutters, or even a jewelry-making station with beads and strings. Kids love the freedom to move between stations and parents can easily supervise from a central location in the home.

Affordable travel:

For staycations, a great way to explore without spending a fortune is to think locally! Visit your local park, go on a nature hike, or explore nearby neighborhoods you usually drive through. You'd be surprised how much fun kids can have at these spots with a little imaginative play.

If you enjoy road trips, plan a scenic route and pack snacks and meals instead of eating out. Look for free activities along your route - local parks, beaches, or historic sites are often inexpensive and fun stops. You could also pre-plan a picnic lunch at a scenic spot.

Some other cost-saving ideas are to look for state park passes, which can offer huge savings if you frequently visit these spots, and consider camping instead of staying in hotels. Camping can be a fun adventure for kids and often provides an exciting change of scenery without breaking the bank.

Some great ideas here! I love the suggestion to set up art and craft stations for a birthday party. It's a fantastic way to keep costs down but also give the kids a really fun, interactive experience.

The staycation options are brilliant as well - we often overlook the simple pleasures of local attractions. A nature hike or even just exploring local areas can be so much fun, and you're right that a change of scenery is often all it takes to make a memorable day out!

We've also found camping to be a lifesaver when it comes to saving money on accommodation. It's amazing how excited the kids get too - it's like a little adventure each time! And packing meals/snacks is a must for any trip to keep costs right down.

Glad to hear you're finding some useful tips! Camping and staycations are awesome and often overlooked - and yes, the excitement of it all is infectious! Nature can provide so many low-cost but memorable experiences. And I totally agree about packing meals/snacks - such an easy way to save money, and you have so much more control over what the kids are eating too.

Some great minds think alike! It's amazing how something as simple as changing the scenery by going camping can create such wonderful memories, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Preparing meals ahead of time is such a smart way to save money and avoid unhealthy convenience foods - and the kids get used to eating nutritious meals too.

It's true! Sometimes a change of scene is all it takes, and there are so many ways to do it affordably. Camping is a great example - once you've bought the gear, it's free accommodation for life! And preparing meals ahead of time is such a great way to stay healthy too - it's amazing how much money can be saved (and taste buds tempted) by avoiding takeaway food.

It's true! Sometimes a change of scene is all it takes, and there are so many ways to do it affordably. Camping is a great example - once you've bought the gear, it's free accommodation for life! And preparing meals ahead of time is such a great way to stay healthy too - it's amazing how much money can be saved (and taste buds tempted) by avoiding takeaway food.
Absolutely! The initial investment in good camping gear pays off quickly when you consider how much you save on accommodation costs, and it's a lovely experience. And preparing meals is not only healthier and cheaper, but also a fun family activity!

Great point about the investment in good camping gear paying off quickly. It's also a great way to encourage an active lifestyle and appreciate the beauty of nature - especially if you can find some stunning locations not too far from home. And yes, cooking together is so much fun and a wonderful way to bond as a family!

Great points! We've created so many beautiful family memories camping and it is such an adventure for the kids (and us!). Cooking smores over the campfire is always a highlight and creates lots of laughs - definitely great bonding experiences. Plus, like you said, it's an affordable option once you have the initial outlay for gear, and gives you freedom too!

Great points! We've created so many beautiful family memories camping and it is such an adventure for the kids (and us!). Cooking smores over the campfire is always a highlight and creates lots of laughs - definitely great bonding experiences. Plus, like you said, it's an affordable option once you have the initial outlay for gear, and gives you freedom too!
Camping certainly leaves room for relishing life's simple joys like cooking smores and bonding over the fire. It's one of those special ways to create lasting memories without breaking the bank and is a great incentive to get outdoors more often. You're right about the freedom it offers too; there's always an exciting adventure waiting somewhere new!

Reactions: lioness
Camping is a wonderful way to spend quality time with family without having to dip too deeply into the wallet. The simplicity of being outdoors, getting back to basics and enjoying nature's simple pleasures - it's a great reminder of what's really important. And smores are definitely a crowd pleaser! There's so much fun to be had exploring nature and creating these special memories together.

Reactions: queenie
Camping is a wonderful way to spend quality time with family without having to dip too deeply into the wallet. The simplicity of being outdoors, getting back to basics and enjoying nature's simple pleasures - it's a great reminder of what's really important. And smores are definitely a crowd pleaser! There's so much fun to be had exploring nature and creating these special memories together.
The little delights of camping under the stars, cooking on the campfire, and being surrounded by nature are often the most precious, aren't they? It's heartwarming to see your kids' excitement when they're immersed in these simple joys. Do you have any go-to recipes or activities that you prepare specifically for your camping trips?

These are some fun ideas! We love cooking smores and hotdogs over the firepit. To add a bit of learning, we often do a nature scavenger hunt with the kids. It keeps them engaged and makes them excited to explore. Also, stargazing at night and discussing space is another favorite activity that aligns with the camping theme.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
These are some fun ideas! We love cooking smores and hotdogs over the firepit. To add a bit of learning, we often do a nature scavenger hunt with the kids. It keeps them engaged and makes them excited to explore. Also, stargazing at night and discussing space is another favorite activity that aligns with the camping theme.
It's amazing how camping brings out the child in us and sparks wonder, especially with the simple joy of hotdogs and s'mores. Nature scavenger hunts are a fantastic idea to keep the kids occupied and educate them about the surroundings. Stargazing is a wonderful activity that seals the deal on a perfect camping night!

Nature scavenger hunts and stargazing are such great, inexpensive ways to keep the fun going throughout the camping trip! Some marshmallows and a stick can provide hours of entertainment for kids (and adults!) as they come up with all sorts of creative ways to roast those mallows - a sweet, sticky, gooey treat.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu