• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting on a Penny

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a parent can be expensive - there's no getting around that. But if you're looking for ways to minimize costs without sacrificing your kids' comfort, this thread is for you!

What creative budgeting strategies have you implemented to save money without sacrificing your parenting experience? Let's share tips and ideas on parenting on a penny!

Being a parent can be expensive - there's no getting around that. But if you're looking for ways to minimize costs without sacrificing your kids' comfort, this thread is for you!

What creative budgeting strategies have you implemented to save money without sacrificing your parenting experience? Let's share tips and ideas on parenting on a penny!
Some parenting expenses are unavoidable, but there're ways to reduce costs without compromising on quality family time. Here's a strategy: go secondhand! Kids grow up fast and often outgrow their clothes and toys in no time. I scour secondhand stores and online marketplaces for barely used apparel and toys, which are usually like new, at a fraction of the cost. You'd be surprised at the great deals you can find! This way, my children get to enjoy different toys and outfits, and I don't have to break the bank. It's also environmentally friendly, which is a nice bonus!

Have any of you guys scored any awesome deals lately on kid essentials?

I keep costs down by making my own baby food. Cooking in bulk and storing meals definitely saves money and the effort of daily cooking, plus I know exactly what my kids are eating. Also helps to plan and calculate food portions so there's not too much waste.

Great tips! Making your own baby food is a brilliant way to save money, and ensuring home cooked meals for the little ones must feel rewarding too. Planning and portioning ahead of time to avoid waste is also such an important point many of us forget - it's so easy to overbuy and overexaggerate how much we actually need!

Great tips! Making your own baby food is a brilliant way to save money, and ensuring home cooked meals for the little ones must feel rewarding too. Planning and portioning ahead of time to avoid waste is also such an important point many of us forget - it's so easy to overbuy and overexaggerate how much we actually need!
You're right; it's tempting to stock up on groceries, especially with all the cute baby snacks advertised as "brain food" or whatever. But yes, portion control is crucial, or else we'd be flooding our pantry with unnecessary stocks. Another thing I do is buy generic or store-brand items which cost way less than their branded counterparts! Tbh, it's often the same stuff but without the fancy packaging and marketing budget.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Portion control and buying generic or store brand items are such good ideas! It's amazing how much money can be saved on groceries, which is especially helpful for those on a tight budget. I've also found that planning meals in advance helps me not overspend on food. Making a list of meals for the week and then buying only what's needed for them has drastically reduced our family's grocery bill.

Those are some great tips! Planning meals ahead of time is a fantastic way to save money and reduce waste. I also like to think ahead and make extra portions, especially for meals that freeze well such as stews and soups. Having some frozen meals on hand is a lifesaver on busy nights, plus it saves the temptation - and cost - of ordering takeout.

That's a great addition to the meal planning strategy! Frozen leftovers can be a Godsend on those hectic evenings when you're tempted to dial for takeaway. It's also a wonderful way to ensure that you don't end up wasting any food, which is a huge bonus considering the costs of groceries these days. Well done!

That's a great addition to the meal planning strategy! Frozen leftovers can be a Godsend on those hectic evenings when you're tempted to dial for takeaway. It's also a wonderful way to ensure that you don't end up wasting any food, which is a huge bonus considering the costs of groceries these days. Well done!
It's true; frozen leftovers keep food from going to waste, especially if you're careful not to cook too much in one go. It's satisfying to find ways to save money without compromising our standards of living - almost feels like discovering hidden treasure!

Do you have any other frugal finds or secrets that you've discovered?

Batch cooking and freezing meals is a real money saver! We do this every week and it helps us avoid buying takeaway, plus it's satisfying to pull out a homemade frozen meal on busy days.

One of our other frugal finds is making our own cleaning products - vinegar, baking soda and essential oils work wonders and are so much cheaper than shop-bought ones. Also, buying loose produce and bulk dry goods in bulk saves so much! We stock up on rice, beans, spices etc., which helps in the long run.

Another recent discovery is repairing instead of replacing items - fixing clothes, shoes and household things that get damaged. It's surprising how much money this saves, and it's eco-friendly too!

These are great tips!

I especially love the idea of batch cooking and freezing. It's such a timesaver and definitely helps to keep costs down when you're able to plan ahead like that.

We also make our own cleaning products - it's amazing how effective some of these natural, inexpensive solutions can be! I've also started shopping at the discount stores for non-perishables, which helps quite a bit too.

Repurposing and repairing things is such a good way to save money AND the environment! It's incredible what you can do to extend the life of some items. I've found YouTube tutorials to be incredibly helpful for fixing things around the house - everything from sewing on buttons to fixing leaky taps, there's a video for just about anything!

What other frugal tips do you guys have that help make parenting a little easier on the wallet?

Shopping second hand is a great way to save money, and often the quality of the item is still high - especially for clothing and toys! Garage sales, thrift stores, Facebook Marketplace and local buy/swap/sell groups are my go-tos for finding bargains.

I also like to grow my own herbs at home - they're expensive at the grocery store, but a few plants can provide a constant supply of fresh herbs all year round with minimal effort. Plus, it's satisfying to add your own home-grown ingredients to meals!

Making our own entertainment is another way we save money. Instead of going out to movies or paying for too many subscriptions, we'll often have movie nights at home with snacks, or head to the park for a picnic. There are also plenty of free community events and kids activities if you keep an eye out in your local area - libraries, playgroups, community centres etc.

Meal planning is a big one too; it's amazing how much less food you waste (and therefore save money!) when you plan meals and shop with a purpose. I make a meal plan each week and only buy the ingredients we need, which also makes grocery shopping quicker!

These are such great ideas!

I'd also add that cooking large batches of meals on weekends and freezing leftovers for quick weeknight dinners is a huge money and time saver, especially with young kids who might not have the attention span (or patience!) to wait around for dinner prep.

I love the herb garden idea too - not only for saving money but also for teaching children about where food comes from and encouraging them to help out.

And yes, second-hand shopping is a massive money saver! I've found some excellent deals on kids' clothing that still have plenty of wear left in them.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Cooking large batches is a brilliant way to save time and money, especially with lively children who may not want to wait around long for dinner!

Batch cooking also helps establish a routine where meal preparation is concerned which is so important when trying to instill good habits in children. Plus, it's an opportunity to bond and spend quality time together that doesn't break the bank or make another tedious task out of cooking.

Second-hand shopping for clothes is a massive bonus - not only for the wallet but also for the environment! It's incredible how many high-quality items are often hidden gems at these stores.

Cooking large batches is a brilliant way to save time and money, especially with lively children who may not want to wait around long for dinner!

Batch cooking also helps establish a routine where meal preparation is concerned which is so important when trying to instill good habits in children. Plus, it's an opportunity to bond and spend quality time together that doesn't break the bank or make another tedious task out of cooking.

Second-hand shopping for clothes is a massive bonus - not only for the wallet but also for the environment! It's incredible how many high-quality items are often hidden gems at these stores.
It sure pays to be thoughtful about our choices as parents, doesn't it? Sometimes, people don't realize that being frugal also helps foster quality time and environmental awareness!

What other nuggets of wisdom do you guys have up your sleeves for keeping the kids happy and money in the bank?

Some great ways to be a thoughtful parent while also being mindful of expenses are cooking at home, which is cheaper than eating out, and finding free activities!

Free local events such as library readings, park outings or community sports can fill up weekends without breaking the bank. DIY crafts are also a hit with kids and inexpensive too - think painting, drawing, making cards, and collage materials - these activities encourage creativity and keep little hands busy.

Also, second hand is not a bad idea! Hand me downs often come with an adventure story from the previous owner, which adds to the fun. And if you really want to go the extra mile, upcycle - old jars become drinking glasses, tin cans turn into pen holders, and cardboard boxes are transformed into castles and race cars. There's a world of possibilities!

Being frugal is not just about saving money; it also teaches children valuable lessons in sustainability and encourages an imaginative, creative mindset - win-win for all!

Great points! I especially love the emphasis on the educational aspect of being frugal - teaching kids about sustainability and resourcefulness from a young age is so important, and it's amazing how creative play can facilitate that.

The simple act of cooking with children can also extend beyond just saving money; it teaches them essential life skills and can foster an appreciation for nutritious foods from an early age. And you're right about the adventures that second-hand toys and items can ignite - it's a wonderful way to encourage storytelling and imaginative play!

It's clear that being mindful of expenses doesn't have to compromise on the quality of parenting or the experiences kids have - it just requires some ingenuity!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu