• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting on a Budget

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several parents responded to chickadee's query about budget-friendly parenting tips. Almost all the respondents agreed that buying second-hand clothes and toys is a great money saver, especially for young children who outgrow them quickly. Bulk buying essentials like diapers and wipes, as well as homecooked meals and freezing leftovers, are other popular strategies for saving money.

Many parents also swore by toy rotation, which keeps costs down, prevents clutter, and provides a sense of novelty for the kids. Additionally, several respondents talked about the benefits of batch cooking and freezing meals for busy weeknights, and the satisfaction of scoring bargains and hunting for deals.

Some other ideas were mentioned, such as taking kids to free places like the park or library for entertainment, organizing low-cost classes, and storing presents bought on sale for last-minute invites or charity. Overall, these parenting hacks can help save money without compromising on the needs and wants of children.

Being a parent can be expensive, but it doesn't have to blow your budget. What are your best tips for keeping costs down without compromising on what your kid needs (or even wants!)?

Some ideas I've used are buying second hand clothes and toys, bulk buying diapers and toilet paper, and making my own baby food. Also keeping an eye out for sales and discounts. But I'm sure there's lots more ways to save! What are your go-to budget parenting hacks?

Some great money saving tips you guys have going on!

I do the same - second hand clothes are a Godsend, especially for the really little ones who grow out of things so quickly! I also bulk buy wipes - baby wipes are quite often on offer which helps save some pennies.

I like to cook homemade meals and freeze portions too - great way to save time and money later down the line and you know exactly what your child's eaten. Plus, it's a good opportunity to batch cook your evening meal too so you're not buying a takeaway because you're too tired to cook!

My little one loves spending time at the park - it's free entertainment and often somewhere you can go to meet other parents and let the kids tire themselves out! I also take her to the library; again, free to join and great for sensory development and learning. And the added bonus is that you don't need to buy books

My little girl is a bit older now so I'm always keeping an eye out for free or low-cost classes/activities - things like swimming, ballet or football. There's usually discounts for booking multiple sessions or termly payment which works out cheaper weekly than drop in sessions. Plus it keeps the kids entertained and active!

What else? Oh, I never buy full price gifts! I always keep a couple of presents stored away from car boot sales/charity shops - great for those last minute invites. Also good to teach children about giving to others - charity shops are a great place to pick up a present and donate something too.

Love hearing these tips, any other ideas?

Great idea to batch cook and freeze meals! And I totally agree about second hand clothes - especially for the really little ones. It's amazing how quickly they grow out of them!

I also stock up on toys and gifts from charity shops - some are practically new and it's a great, affordable way to have a revolving door of toys so that your kids always have something new to play with. Sometimes I also pick up books in excellent condition too which is an added bonus as my little one loves reading!

I'm all about the bargains - there's no point wasting money when you can get great deals!

Great points about charity shops! They're absolute gems for finding good quality second hand clothes and toys, especially for little ones who grow out of things so quickly. I love the idea of having a rotation of new toys - helps keep things interesting and is so affordable too. Batch cooking and freezing meals is such a timesaver too, especially on those busy days. And yes, isn't it satisfying to score some excellent deals and bargains without compromising on quality?

Absolutely! I love the idea of having a toy rotation - it's exciting for the kids to 're-stock' their toy supply every few months and it saves us parents from hearing endless requests for new toys! And yes, batch cooking is a lifesaver - especially on those days when the kids have extra curricular activities. Nothing like having dinner sorted without any additional stress! It's very satisfying scoring great bargains - feels like you've won something!

Having a toy rotation and meal prep done for those busy days is such a great idea and a real money saver! It's so satisfying to score a bargain - almost like you've hacked the system!

Toy rotation is a lifesaver! And meal prep on weekends makes weeknights so much easier, it's like giving yourself a little present each day. Love the bargain hacking feeling too - satisfaction guaranteed!

Toy rotation is such a smart idea - kids hardly notice toys they haven't seen in a while, and it saves you from a cluttered space, too! And meal prep does make life so much easier - especially when you're tired at the end of the day. Plus, you're right about that awesome feeling of satisfaction when you score some bargains!

Toy rotation is a lifesaver! It's amazing how well kids entertain themselves with 'new' toys they haven't seen in a while. And meal prep is a great way to stay sane during the busy week - plus, it's exciting finding ways to make delicious meals on a budget. I feel so satisfied whenever I bag some great bargains at the grocery store!

Toy rotation is such a smart idea - gives the toys a longer life span and the kids stay interested, plus saves money!
Meal prepping is the way to go - it makes meal times so much less stressful too! I love hunting for bargains at the supermarket too, that satisfying feeling when you get a great deal!

Toy rotation is an absolute winner. Kids these days have so many toys, it's overwhelming for them and for us! Less is more and keeping things simple keeps everyone sane.
I meal prep too, it's so much easier and saves money and waste also - and I agree, that bargain hunting high is real!

Toy rotation's a brilliant idea; it helps keep things manageable and prevents overwhelm, especially as kids these days have access to so many toys! It's also great hearing about your success with meal prep- easy, cost-effective, and reduces waste - fantastic wins all around. That thrill of bargain hunting is always an added bonus too, right?

Toy rotation is a life saver! And yes, the thrill of bargains makes it so much fun too.

Meal prep has been a godsend for our large family - especially during weekdays when the kids have after school activities. It's also helped me to plan our grocery lists better, which saves money and reduces waste. The kids even join in the meal prep now, which makes it a fun family affair!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Toy rotation is such a great idea - keeps costs down but excitement levels high! And it's so true about the thrill of bargains; I love finding great deals too and it's an awesome feeling!

Meal prep has been on my mind lately, especially with the hectic weekdays. It's fantastic to hear how helpful it's been for your family, especially in getting the kids involved - that's amazing! What are some fun meals your family loves to prepare together?

Toy rotation is a genius idea; I totally agree! It's amazing how bargains can give such a natural high!

Meal prep has become our weekend family tradition, and everyone looks forward to it - especially with the excitement of trying out new recipes every time! Some of our favorites are 'paint-your-own' pizzas - where the kids get to choose their own toppings - and DIY burritos, where we set up a burrito bar. We also love making large batches of cookie dough, dividing them into portions, and freezing some for later. The excitement of anticipating what's for dinner is almost as much fun as preparing and eating it!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu