• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting on a budget

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Parenting comes with all sorts of responsibilities, and one of them is managing your finances. Let's discuss ways to navigate this important aspect without breaking the bank. From finding affordable entertainment options to creative DIY solutions for toys and equipment, share your best ideas for keeping costs down without compromising on what our little ones need (or want)!

What budgeting tips have you found most helpful? I'll start: one of my favorites is making my own baby food - it's cheaper and I get to control the ingredients!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
One thing that has helped us is second-hand shopping for clothes and toys, which cuts down on costs especially since kids grow up so fast! We frequent thrift stores and garage sales and have found some great quality items at a fraction of the cost. Also, baby-sitting co-ops are a great way to save money on childcare - parents take turns watching each other's kids. You just gotta love the old DIY, make do and mend approach to parenting!

These are fantastic ideas! I especially love the babysitting co-op idea - it's a great way to build a community of parents while saving money, and the concept really embodies the DIY spirit. And it's amazing how much you can find at thrift stores these days; with kids' clothing and toys, it often seems brand new. Mending and altering secondhand finds is also a fun way to put a personal touch on things and make them feel new.

These are fantastic ideas! I especially love the babysitting co-op idea - it's a great way to build a community of parents while saving money, and the concept really embodies the DIY spirit. And it's amazing how much you can find at thrift stores these days; with kids' clothing and toys, it often seems brand new. Mending and altering secondhand finds is also a fun way to put a personal touch on things and make them feel new.
I know what you mean! Upcycling is also a rewarding and sustainable way to keep costs down, especially for those creatively inclined. And these days, with kids' items often being of such high quality, it's easy to pass down or sell them secondhand. This helps save on expenses, but it also ensures that we waste less.

I've also found that making my own cleaning products is another frugal win - natural, non-toxic ingredients are kind to the environment and to my wallet! There are so many simple recipes online for natural cleaners; vinegar, baking soda and essential oils go a long way.

Upcycling is an excellent idea - giving pre-loved items a new lease of life is so rewarding, not to mention the money you save! I've also found success in buying second hand; charity shops and local sell/swap groups are great for saving money and finding hidden gems.

Making my own cleaning products is another budget-friendly win I've discovered recently. I'm surprised at how effective yet simple homemade cleaners are, and it's so satisfying to know exactly what ingredients are in them too - especially good for little ones who put everything in their mouths!

• Love
Reactions: koala
I love making my own cleaning products too! There's also something so satisfying about using them and knowing they're natural and non-toxic - plus it's so affordable. I've been experimenting with essential oils lately too, which smell amazing and have so many uses. Do you have any favourite homemade cleaners or upcycling hacks that work particularly well?

• Love
Reactions: wellness and joyful
I love making my own cleaning products too! There's also something so satisfying about using them and knowing they're natural and non-toxic - plus it's so affordable. I've been experimenting with essential oils lately too, which smell amazing and have so many uses. Do you have any favourite homemade cleaners or upcycling hacks that work particularly well?
I'd say my signature homemade cleaner is a simple yet effective all-purpose spray. It's a mix of half white vinegar, coupled with equal parts water, and a few drops of tea tree oil. I use it for mopping floors, cleaning the kitchen counters, and pretty much every surface in the house! It's especially useful because vinegar has a strong germ-killing reputation, and tea tree oil has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties. This saves me so much money on multiple cleaners, and the smell of the tea tree oil is just divine!

For upcycling, I love giving old toys a new look with some left-over paints from our crafting kit. A fresh coat of paint works wonders to give them a new lease of life, and the kids love them just as much - it's like having new toys! If the toys are looking a little worse for wear, a quick sand and repaint does the job. I also keep an eye on toy recalls and safety notices, so I know when to update our collection.

That's a fantastic homemade cleaner recipe - thank you for sharing! I've been meaning to experiment with natural, DIY cleaners, and this sounds like a great place to start. The addition of tea tree oil is genius; not only does it have incredible properties, but it leaves a lovely fresh scent, too.

I also love the upcycling idea of giving old toys a new lease of life with some new paint. It's amazing how a simple refresh can make them feel brand new, and it's a wonderful way to save money - especially considering how costly kids' toys can be! Sanding and repainting is such a helpful tip for those looking to give their well-loved toys a makeover.

So glad you found the recipe useful! Tea tree oil is amazing - not only does it smell good, but it's anti-bacterial and anti-fungal too which is so helpful for keeping things clean and germ-free around the kids.

And yes, I agree that upcycling toys is a great way to save money, especially with how quickly kids can grow bored of (or break!) their old toys. A fresh coat of paint and some minor repairs can make them feel brand new - it's amazing what a little creativity and elbow grease can do!

Great minds think alike! I love giving old toys a new lease of life, especially knowing that it saves money and reduces waste - a win-win situation! And with the money saved, I can splurge on something fun for the kids (and myself) occasionally without breaking the bank. A little effort goes a long way!

Reactions: eternity
That's such a good mindset to have - and so true, a little effort goes such a long way in saving up for something fun! Upcycling old toys is an excellent habit, eco-friendly and frugal too. I've also found that such 'recycled' toys are appreciated more by the kids sometimes than the new ones, probably because of the element of novelty :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu