• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - twin, triplet or higher order multiples

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's your experience of parenting multiples - do you have tips for managing day-to-day life? Or perhaps you're expecting and would love to hear about what's ahead!

I'm curious to know how parents organize their routines, manage mealtimes and keep everyone sane - it's a topic I think many expectant multiple parents will appreciate! It can be a challenge managing the needs of one newborn, so with two or three (or more!) it seems like quite the juggle.

If you have older multiples, what are your top tips for keeping them entertained, especially during the long school holidays? And how do you navigate individual needs and personalities?

Also - what's your go-to strategy for managing public curiosity - especially when people comment on or stare at multiples?

I'm a father of 10-year-old triplet boys, and while it's a handful, there's so much you can do to keep things manageable.

Routines are king when it comes to parenting multiples. From the very start, we established feeding and nap routines, which helped us save precious time and keep everyone well-rested and well-fed. Mealtimes with young kids can be tricky, but we made it a fun activity - singing songs and playing games kept them engaged and encouraged good manners. Also, colour-coding cups and plates helped the boys identify their own meal items.

As they grew older, we implemented a visual timetable for weekdays and weekends - this gave structure to our days and helped the kids learn valuable life skills. They pick their clothes for the next day, pack their school bags, and prepare their snacks. And on weekends, they have specific jobs like setting up the table for meals or helping with simple cooking tasks.

Keeping multiples entertained can be fun, especially with a bit of creativity! I involved the boys in planning fun activities, asking for their input on what they'd like to do. Divide-and-conquer tactics sometimes come into play - giving individual attention helps when managing different personalities and interests. We also encourage group activities that foster teamwork and bonding, like building forts or scavenger hunts indoors.

For public curiosity, we took it as an opportunity to educate others about identical vs. fraternal multiples and explained the unique bonds they have. The boys also enjoyed sharing their 'superpower' of being triplets! Having some simple, prepared lines helped defuse any awkwardness, and we focused on making those interactions positive ones.

Most importantly, remember you're not alone! Find local groups with parents of multiples - the support and advice from those going through similar experiences is incredibly helpful. Reach out, ask for help when needed, and celebrate the chaos because it grows more manageable with time!

I'm a father of 10-year-old triplet boys, and while it's a handful, there's so much you can do to keep things manageable.

Routines are king when it comes to parenting multiples. From the very start, we established feeding and nap routines, which helped us save precious time and keep everyone well-rested and well-fed. Mealtimes with young kids can be tricky, but we made it a fun activity - singing songs and playing games kept them engaged and encouraged good manners. Also, colour-coding cups and plates helped the boys identify their own meal items.

As they grew older, we implemented a visual timetable for weekdays and weekends - this gave structure to our days and helped the kids learn valuable life skills. They pick their clothes for the next day, pack their school bags, and prepare their snacks. And on weekends, they have specific jobs like setting up the table for meals or helping with simple cooking tasks.

Keeping multiples entertained can be fun, especially with a bit of creativity! I involved the boys in planning fun activities, asking for their input on what they'd like to do. Divide-and-conquer tactics sometimes come into play - giving individual attention helps when managing different personalities and interests. We also encourage group activities that foster teamwork and bonding, like building forts or scavenger hunts indoors.

For public curiosity, we took it as an opportunity to educate others about identical vs. fraternal multiples and explained the unique bonds they have. The boys also enjoyed sharing their 'superpower' of being triplets! Having some simple, prepared lines helped defuse any awkwardness, and we focused on making those interactions positive ones.

Most importantly, remember you're not alone! Find local groups with parents of multiples - the support and advice from those going through similar experiences is incredibly helpful. Reach out, ask for help when needed, and celebrate the chaos because it grows more manageable with time!
That's reassuring to know that routines can help keep things in order, especially during the early stages. I'm sure many parents would appreciate hearing about how structure and planning can make a difference, especially when managing multiple young children. It's great to hear that you involve the boys in planning activities too, giving them some autonomy and Encourage collaboration.

Do you find that establishing routines and keeping things structured helps with disciplining your kids or teaching them important life skills? How do you navigate individual discipline when, for example, one triplet might need a different approach than the others?

That's great to hear how you've managed! It's encouraging for expecting parents of multiples.

Are there any other specific challenges you faced that you wish others knew about? And what kept you going during those tough newborn days? Any tips for handling the financial load of raising three little ones, which can be a common challenge too?

That's reassuring to know that routines can help keep things in order, especially during the early stages. I'm sure many parents would appreciate hearing about how structure and planning can make a difference, especially when managing multiple young children. It's great to hear that you involve the boys in planning activities too, giving them some autonomy and Encourage collaboration.

Do you find that establishing routines and keeping things structured helps with disciplining your kids or teaching them important life skills? How do you navigate individual discipline when, for example, one triplet might need a different approach than the others?
Absolutely! Routines helped us set clear expectations for the boys, which made disciplining easier as they knew the boundaries. We took a united front approach with our triplets, implementing the same consequences and rewards for all three, which helped to maintain fairness and reduce jealousy.

Having structured mealtimes, bedtime, and cleaning routines left room for spontaneous teaching moments. For instance, preparing their snacks gave way to lessons on nutrition and cooking. And giving them chores and weekend jobs taught them accountability and responsibility.

When it came to individual discipline, we tried not to compare or single anyone out. If one triplet needed a specific strategy, we used a different approach behind closed doors. For example, some constructive criticism or extra encouragement. We also ensured lots of one-on-one time with each boy, which helped to build our relationships and allowed us to better understand their unique personalities and needs. This meant that any discipline strategies could be tailored to their individual strengths and weaknesses.

It's tricky but managing these nuances is part of the joy of parenting multiples - you get better at it as you go!

Absolutely! Routines helped us set clear expectations for the boys, which made disciplining easier as they knew the boundaries. We took a united front approach with our triplets, implementing the same consequences and rewards for all three, which helped to maintain fairness and reduce jealousy.

Having structured mealtimes, bedtime, and cleaning routines left room for spontaneous teaching moments. For instance, preparing their snacks gave way to lessons on nutrition and cooking. And giving them chores and weekend jobs taught them accountability and responsibility.

When it came to individual discipline, we tried not to compare or single anyone out. If one triplet needed a specific strategy, we used a different approach behind closed doors. For example, some constructive criticism or extra encouragement. We also ensured lots of one-on-one time with each boy, which helped to build our relationships and allowed us to better understand their unique personalities and needs. This meant that any discipline strategies could be tailored to their individual strengths and weaknesses.

It's tricky but managing these nuances is part of the joy of parenting multiples - you get better at it as you go!
That's some great insight into the world of parenting multiples! It seems like a very rewarding, yet challenging experience. Being able to adapt strategies for each child's needs is definitely key.

On the topic of individual attention, how do you manage giving each child special time when they have such different interests and personalities? Do you ever get any jealousies arising from that or competitions between them? Also, with your hands full, how do you stay on top of their different academic needs if they have them? That seems like a whole other level of organization!

That's an excellent question about managing individual attention with different interests and personalities!

I find that setting aside dedicated one-on-one time helps a lot. Even if it's just 15 minutes here and there, having that focused attention goes a long way for each child. I make sure to adapt these sessions to their unique interests, whether it's playing with cars, reading a certain type of book, or discussing their favourite anime. This helps me connect with each child individually while also sending the message that they are seen and valued for their unique passions and personalities.

Jealousies do arise occasionally, especially when one child seems to be getting more attention than the other. I try to be very mindful of those moments and either shift gear or, if necessary, bring the "left out" child into the activity. Explaining the reasons for individual attention also helps ease some of those jealous sentiments. For instance, if a certain child requires extra help with homework, I'd openly communicate this and emphasize how it's due to different academic needs rather than favouritism.

Speaking of which, staying on top of varying academic needs is a challenge! I have a system in place where I track each child's progress and areas of difficulty. This helps me provide focused support where needed without letting issues slip through the cracks. It's a lot of work but manageable with consistent effort. Organization is key - color-coded schedules, labels, and to-do lists are my saving grace!

What about you? Do you have any strategies for managing the different needs and interests in your multiples?

Individual attention is a great approach, especially with twins, as it helps them develop their unique identities. I agree that setting aside focused time, even if brief, goes a long way.

I also make sure to tailor these moments to each child's interests. Incorporating their passions really enhances the connection and shows them they are seen as individuals. This has helped ease some jealousy between my twins too. When one feels left out, I involve them in the activity or explain the reason for the different attention, especially if it's related to academic needs.

I'm curious about your system for tracking academic progress. That sounds like a brilliant idea! Could you expand on how you do this? I've been relying on my memory and jotting down notes, which is hit-or-miss. I think a proper system would help me be more proactive about their different needs.

Also, kudos to you for emphasizing organization; it really makes all the difference! I have a running checklist, but your color-coded approach sounds like an efficient way to stay on top of things.

I use a simple binder system to track academic progress. Each child has their own binder with subject dividers, and I use a colored system that corresponds with the subjects for easy reference. For example, green is math, blue is English, and so on. I have a section for tests/exams, one for homework, and another for general notes and feedback from teachers.

I find physical folders work best as I can easily slip papers in as needed and refer to them later. I highlight key achievements or areas of improvement, so they are not overlooked. This system also allows me to easily spot any patterns or trends in their academic performance. I'm a visual person, so being able to physically flick through and see their progress is beneficial.

I'd be lying if I said it was easy - keeping on top of three sets of schoolwork and remembering three lots of projects is no mean feat! But the binders help me stay organized and ensure each child's work is accounted for. It also means I can quickly glance through their achievements and reference their favorite subjects, which is great for tailored attention.

The color-coding has been a lifesaver and started by accident really; it was inspired by my kindergartener's love of all things rainbow! But it makes sorting and filing so much easier, and the kids enjoy the colorful display too - win-win!

I use a simple binder system to track academic progress. Each child has their own binder with subject dividers, and I use a colored system that corresponds with the subjects for easy reference. For example, green is math, blue is English, and so on. I have a section for tests/exams, one for homework, and another for general notes and feedback from teachers.

I find physical folders work best as I can easily slip papers in as needed and refer to them later. I highlight key achievements or areas of improvement, so they are not overlooked. This system also allows me to easily spot any patterns or trends in their academic performance. I'm a visual person, so being able to physically flick through and see their progress is beneficial.

I'd be lying if I said it was easy - keeping on top of three sets of schoolwork and remembering three lots of projects is no mean feat! But the binders help me stay organized and ensure each child's work is accounted for. It also means I can quickly glance through their achievements and reference their favorite subjects, which is great for tailored attention.

The color-coding has been a lifesaver and started by accident really; it was inspired by my kindergartener's love of all things rainbow! But it makes sorting and filing so much easier, and the kids enjoy the colorful display too - win-win!
I'm going to implement the binder system ASAP. That's fantastic advice and seems very doable. I like how you cater to your kids' passions!

Thanks for sharing; looks like I have some organizing to do this weekend! (And yes, the colorful display is an added bonus.)

Using physical binders sounds like a practical approach with a good old analog system that has worked well for many parents over the years. It's durable, easy to navigate, and offers a tangible overview of their academic journey.

Your rainbow color-coding strategy is adorable and certainly makes chore time more enjoyable! Incorporating the kids' interests definitely helps make chores and organization more fun for them and sets the idea that these tasks are just as important as playtime.

It seems like you've got a great system going! I'm curious to hear if you have any particular strategies for handling stressful moments or tantrums - a inevitable part of parenting! - or ways you help your littles ones deal with their emotions? Also, any tips for keeping the momentum going when life gets busy and tiredness sets in would be fantastic!

I'm glad to hear that our systems sound practical - I think analogue methods are often underrated these days!

Regarding your questions, managing stressful moments is definitely challenging, especially when you're exhausted, but it's a great opportunity to role model healthy emotion regulation strategies for the kids. When things get heated and a full-blown tantrum seems imminent, taking a brief 'time out' - literally stepping away from the situation and taking a few deep breaths - helps me to de-escalate before addressing what's happened. It also shows the kids that when you're upset, it's okay to take a moment to calm down and collect yourself before continuing.

For younger kids especially, I find giving them choices helpful in reducing melt downs. Offering two or three appropriate options gives them a sense of autonomy - "Would you like to put your pyjamas on first or brush your teeth?" Rather than telling them what to do, this approach encourages cooperation and reduces resistance, so there's less likelihood of a tantrum!

When they're older and more verbal, we practice 'active listening' - reflecting back to them what they've said to ensure I understand the issue and can offer an appropriate solution or compromise. This also reinforces that their feelings are heard and valid, which is important.

To keep momentum going, I schedule 'power hours'. That dedicated time, often on a weekend when the kids have more energy than during the week, means we tackle those more tedious tasks all at once - it's amazing how much can be achieved in an hour! I find breaking larger tasks into manageable chunks and creating a simple checklist helps, too. Plus, including the kids in the planning and rewarding them with some fun time afterwards keeps everyone motivated. It's also a great opportunity to practice that procrastination isn't ideal - something we all need to learn!

Staying organized and preparing ahead of time is key to maintaining momentum. I keep an analog family calendar, which details everyone's activities, and use online tools like shared calendars and reminders on our phones too. Keeping on top of the laundry and ensuring school bags are packed with supplies also helps alleviate some morning stress.

Above all, it's about accepting that some days will be harder than others and being kind to yourself - recruit help when you need it, whether from family or friends, and remember that surviving those crazier moments is a win!

Some excellent strategies here, especially the 'time out' and giving choices to reduce melt downs - it's amazing how giving a small amount of control to young kids empowers them and encourages cooperation.

The power hours sound like a great idea too - breaking tasks down into manageable chunks and involving the kids in the planning really helps make it feel more achievable and fun rather than daunting. And definitely, analogue methods are often the most practical - there's something very satisfying about ticking off items on a checklist!

Some great advice on staying calm and keeping organised - it's a real art managing multiple kids and their different needs and schedules!

Some excellent strategies here, especially the 'time out' and giving choices to reduce melt downs - it's amazing how giving a small amount of control to young kids empowers them and encourages cooperation.

The power hours sound like a great idea too - breaking tasks down into manageable chunks and involving the kids in the planning really helps make it feel more achievable and fun rather than daunting. And definitely, analogue methods are often the most practical - there's something very satisfying about ticking off items on a checklist!

Some great advice on staying calm and keeping organised - it's a real art managing multiple kids and their different needs and schedules!
You're absolutely right; giving children options and a sense of control goes a long way in fostering cooperation and reducing power struggles. It empowers them and helps develop their decision-making skills too.

For me, the challenge now is keeping track of three different school schedules and extra-curricular activities, so I hear ya! Analog methods combined with shared digital calendars keep me somewhat sane these days. :')

I feel you on the scheduling front - it's a full time job keeping everyone where they need to be! I've started using colour-coded folders and noticeboards to help keep track of all the different timetables - one colour for each child. It's a visual that even little ones can understand and helps the whole family stay organised. Would something like this work for you too?

I feel you on the scheduling front - it's a full time job keeping everyone where they need to be! I've started using colour-coded folders and noticeboards to help keep track of all the different timetables - one colour for each child. It's a visual that even little ones can understand and helps the whole family stay organised. Would something like this work for you too?
That's a brilliant idea to use color-coding for each kid! I rely heavily on my shared digital calendar that syncs across all our devices as the kids are shuttled between various activities. Their school agendas also help reflect their own personal schedules, which they are responsible for keeping updated.

A physical noticeboard with colored sections, however, could be a great visual reminder for the whole family and something even the youngest can refer to independently. Pin-up color-coded activity schedules, or even photos of them engaging in each activity might help them relate better and serve as a fun visual timer too!

A physical board could definitely add some fun and engagement! My twins enjoy looking at pics of themselves, and having something tangible to refer to might help them remember their schedules better too. Love the visual timer idea - could really help with teaching time management skills too!

The colorful visual aspect may even help with cognitive reinforcement, especially for the younger one. I like how versatile this method is - technology is great but can sometimes be a headache! So it's nice to have a low-tech, reliable backup!

A physical board could definitely add some fun and engagement! My twins enjoy looking at pics of themselves, and having something tangible to refer to might help them remember their schedules better too. Love the visual timer idea - could really help with teaching time management skills too!

The colorful visual aspect may even help with cognitive reinforcement, especially for the younger one. I like how versatile this method is - technology is great but can sometimes be a headache! So it's nice to have a low-tech, reliable backup!
Yeah, a notice board could be a fun way to decorate and educate at the same time. Put up some cute family photos as a centerpiece too! Makes the space more welcoming and personal.

Yeah, a notice board could be a fun way to decorate and educate at the same time. Put up some cute family photos as a centerpiece too! Makes the space more welcoming and personal.
The possibilities are endless with notice boards - especially with all the colorful pins and decorative tape one can use these days! A friend used different types of fancy pushpins for her kids' artwork and it looked so aesthetically pleasing.

Having a centered, colorful display tailored to each family member, with their personal schedules and reminders, would surely add a homely touch while helping everyone stay on the same page. It'd be nice for the kids to see the family's plans and remember past and upcoming events and adventures. A visual timer helps them understand the concept of time passing and waiting too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu