• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - twin, triplet, and higher order multiples

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Parenting multiples comes with its own unique challenges and triumphs. If you're a parent of twins, triplets, or more, join the conversation here! Share your experiences, gain insights and advice from fellow parents, and celebrate the joy of raising multiple children. Whether you're expecting, have tiny tots, or are navigating the teenage years, this is the place to find camaraderie and support. Let's share tips on everything from time management and meal prep to bonding and individual attention. Welcome to your new go-to resource for all things parenting multiples!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
As a parent of young triplets, I often find myself struggling with time management and exhaustion. The demands of three small children can be overwhelming at times, but I'm curious to hear from others in similar situations. How do you manage your time effectively, especially when it comes to giving each child individual attention? Do you have any tips for finding a balance between the chaos and those precious moments of connection?

I also have triplets, and one thing that helped me tremendously was creating a structured daily schedule and sticking to it. Having designated times for meals, naps, outdoor play, and individual attention gave me a sense of control over the chaos.

I dedicated 15-20 minutes each day to one-on-one time with each child, focusing solely on them and their interests. It could be a quick walk, helping them build that tower they're so proud of, or just snuggling - anything they wanted! Having that special time helped me connect deeply with each child individually and gave them the feeling of being seen and appreciated.

Also, involving older kids in household chores and giving them responsibility for specific tasks can help them feel involved and needed. It teaches them independence too. But of course, it's essential to keep things age-appropriate.

Remember, you're not alone! Accepting help when offered is crucial - whether it's a family member taking the kids for an hour or a friend bringing over dinner. Don't be shy to ask for help; many people around you are willing to lend a hand; you just need to let them know what you need.

Online support groups for parents of multiples have also been a great source of comfort and advice. It's encouraging to know that others are navigating the same challenges and victories.

education-13-01149-g001.png

That's fantastic advice! Structure certainly helps manage the chaos of parenting multiples and ensures each child gets individual attention.

I love the idea of dedicated one-on-one time, too - and it needn't be a big production; sometimes those simple, quick moments make a big impact.

Online support groups have been a lifesaver for me too; it's comforting to know others are going through the same things! And so great to hear about your experiences and strategies.

Structure has definitely helped us keep some semblance of sanity around here! The one-on-one time is really special and doesn't have to be extravagant - sometimes those little moments make all the difference.

Online support groups are a godsend; it's so nice to know we aren't alone in this multiples journey, isn't it?! The shared experiences and advice within these groups are invaluable.

Absolutely! Knowing others go through similar experiences is such a relief, especially when it comes to parenting multiples. The little moments of one-on-one time really are precious and make such a difference in maintaining that individual connection with each child. Structure and routine are so important too - it's great your family has found what works best for you all!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Those little moments definitely make the chaos of parenting multiples worthwhile! It's easy to feel like we're all in this alone, so it's wonderful to have a community where we can share our experiences and support each other. Finding what works best for your family is such an important part of the journey too - every family with multiples is unique!

So very true! It's heartwarming to read everyone's stories and realize we're all in this together. It's a special kind of craziness, parenting multiples, but the rewards are immeasurable. The chaos, the laughter, and those unexpected, precious moments make it all worth it. Supporting each other through this unique journey is so important because every multiples family is different, and it's wonderful to hear about the strategies that work for others!

It's such a wild ride, isn't it? And you're right - those precious moments make the chaos so very worthwhile. I love hearing other parents' stories and strategies too - especially those tried-and-true methods that make life with multiples a little easier! We've got four under four so things are pretty crazy in our household but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Reactions: musical
Yes, it's a wild, wonderful ride And four under four - you have your hands full! I think one of the most helpful things we did when our twins were young was to establish a routine early on. We kept the same bedtime routine and mealtimes as they grew, which helped the kids know what to expect each day. That predictability was calming for all, especially in the midst of such busy toddler years.

We also found some great independent play activities that could keep our twins occupied simultaneously, like setting up a simple sensory bin or giving them each their own "special" activity they could do side by side. This gave us some much-needed one-on-one time with each child, which was so important for connecting with each unique personality.

I also learned to embrace the chaos! It's ok that the house wasn't always spotless or that we sometimes had cereal for dinner. Survival mode is real, and it's amazing how resourceful we can be when we need to be! The chaos passes eventually, but those sweet memories of snuggles, giggles, and cute conversations stay forever.

That's some great advice! We also established a daily routine with our twins and it helped so much - it's amazing how quickly they got used to it and would remind us when it was time for their next activity!

We never thought of sensory bins, that's a brilliant idea for independent playtime! We usually went for simple building blocks or reading time, but I can imagine the sensory play is a great way to keep them engaged and entertained together.

And yes - embrace the chaos!! It's such an exhausting but rewarding experience isn't it - you just have to laugh some days!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Routines are a lifesaver with multiples - it's amazing how quickly kids adapt, especially with consistent prompting!

We found that having a variety of independent play options helped us survive those early years too. sensory bins were a hit with our twins as well, especially for encouraging collaborative and sensory play. We started with simple bins of water or beans and graduated to more complicated setups as they grew older - it's incredible how creatively they could entertain themselves with just a simple bin and some household items!

Laughter really is the best medicine in this parenting journey - embrace that chaos, as you said!

We found the same - laughter and routines have been our saving grace! We never thought of sensory bins but they sound like a great idea to keep the little ones entertained, especially as an incentive for collaborative play. It's wonderful when you discover something that works so well you can continue building on it as they grow older too.

The chaos definitely keeps things interesting - and now I'm intrigued, I might have to set up a sensory bin this afternoon!

Laughter is truly the best medicine! We've found that creating fun memories together as a family through laughter and maintaining routines has helped us stay sane, especially with three energetic toddlers.

We recently discovered sensory bins too, what a Godsend! It's so intriguing to observe their imaginations run wild as they play collaboratively. The mess doesn't even phase me anymore - I just grab my camera and snap photos as evidence of the chaos 😁. Then I'll usually put them in the bath together, which is another sensory experience for them!

It's a win when you find something that keeps their interest and encourages independent play - gives this mama a break! Haha.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu