• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Multiples Twin Peaks

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Are there any parents of multiples here who feel like they're living in a constant state of chaos? My twins demand double the attention, and with two energetic toddlers already stretching me thin, life often feels like absolute bedlam! I'd love to hear from other parents navigating this crazy twin terrain. What strategies do you employ to keep the madness at bay? Do you have any sanity-saving tips for managing the demands of parenting multiples that you'd be willing to share?

Are there any parents of multiples here who feel like they're living in a constant state of chaos? My twins demand double the attention, and with two energetic toddlers already stretching me thin, life often feels like absolute bedlam! I'd love to hear from other parents navigating this crazy twin terrain. What strategies do you employ to keep the madness at bay? Do you have any sanity-saving tips for managing the demands of parenting multiples that you'd be willing to share?
As a parent of twins myself, who also has an older child, I can certainly relate to the chaos you describe! It's like juggling three balls while trying to balance on a unicycle. To keep from getting overwhelmed, I prioritize keeping a structured daily routine and setting aside dedicated playtime with each child - though it's tricky, especially when they have different interests and energies. What strategies do you currently use to juggle the demands of your little ones?

A structured daily routine is an excellent way to navigate the chaotic moments, especially with the high-energy and often contrasting needs of multiples! I also make sure to carve out special one-on-one time with each twin, which helps me connect with them individually and manage their distinct personalities and interests.

For instance, I'll take one twin on a mini adventure - like a trip to the park or a nearby museum exhibit - while the other spends time with theirgrandparent or another family member. That way, they get personalized attention and an exciting outing, too! Structured mealtimes and nap times also help me stay organized, and I make sure to keep a detailed calendar so I don't miss any appointments or milestones.

I'd love to hear more about the strategies you use to keep everything running smoothly - especially as twins get older; it's a challenge but also such a joy!

A structured daily routine is an excellent way to navigate the chaotic moments, especially with the high-energy and often contrasting needs of multiples! I also make sure to carve out special one-on-one time with each twin, which helps me connect with them individually and manage their distinct personalities and interests.

For instance, I'll take one twin on a mini adventure - like a trip to the park or a nearby museum exhibit - while the other spends time with theirgrandparent or another family member. That way, they get personalized attention and an exciting outing, too! Structured mealtimes and nap times also help me stay organized, and I make sure to keep a detailed calendar so I don't miss any appointments or milestones.

I'd love to hear more about the strategies you use to keep everything running smoothly - especially as twins get older; it's a challenge but also such a joy!
Having a visual calendar is certainly helpful, especially with twins who can visually see and get excited about upcoming events or reminders! I try to make our routine as consistent as possible and make sure the time I spend with each twin is personalized - often, one enjoys arts and crafts, so some quiet alone time together lets us connect over creativity. The other one loves the great outdoors and running about, so I take him to the park for some much-needed zoomies.

As they grow older and their personalities develop more, I find that individual attention becomes all the more crucial, and keeping an open conversation going with them helps me understand what their needs are. It's a challenge keeping up with their constant motion but seeing them thrive and enjoy themselves makes every tiring moment worth it!

Are there any specific challenges you'd like input on, or tips you're keen to share with other frazzled parents of multiples?

Routines and one-on-one time are super important! It's great you've found what each twin enjoys and have time set aside for each. Keeping up with their individual needs is definitely a challenge, especially as they grow and become more independent.

I'd add that keeping a detailed, daily routine chart - almost like a timerboard - helped me keep track of their feeding/sleeping schedules, especially in the early months when things were chaotic! Assigning different colours to each twin for everyday tasks also somehow made things less confusing, haha.

Also second the visual calendar idea - we used one with our now 4 year old twins and it's a great way to get them to 'read' the days and prepare them for what's coming up (which helps with their anticipation and excitement levels too!).

Keep up the great work, parents of multiples - you got this!!

I love the visual calendar idea! So far I've been using a simple white board with different columns for each kiddo and their names at the top but I feel like they'd really benefit from being able to anticipate what's coming up - especially on days when mom is running behind 😅 The routine chart is a great idea too, might have to steal that one!

Visual calendars are great - it gives kids a concrete understanding of the passage of time and what's coming up next! A routine chart is helpful for those crazy mornings... you'd be surprised how quickly the kids pick up on the different activities and it becomes part of their morning ritual too :)

Visual calendars are such a good idea - especially with twins, they're so visual learners! We use one with pictures/stickers too - helps us to 'see' the week ahead and prepare for what's coming up. Also means my two can glance over and see what's next when we're getting ready in a rush - they love it!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Visual calendars are amazing! My twins have always been very different, and having a visual representation of our week has really helped them understand what to expect each day - especially helpful with their different personalities and learning styles! I'm glad your twins enjoy it too, it's a great way to involve them and get them excited about the week ahead.

Visual calendars are such a great idea! It's awesome to hear how they've helped your twins understand their different schedules - it definitely sounds like a fantastic way to keep everyone on the same page (or calendar!).

Thanks so much for sharing! Yes, we've found them really helpful especially when they started getting involved in after-school activities and had different pick up/drop off times - gives them a visual representation of their week which helps them remember what's next too :)

Visual timetables are fantastic for keeping on top of after-school schedules! It really helps them develop their sense of time and gives them some autonomy too - win-win!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Visual timetables are fantastic for keeping on top of after-school schedules! It really helps them develop their sense of time and gives them some autonomy too - win-win!
It certainly helps them feel more grown up and in control of their own schedule, which is heartening to see. They beam with pride when they get it right! But of course, there's no harm's done when they forget because they have the calendar as a backup reminder ;)

It certainly helps them feel more grown up and in control of their own schedule, which is heartening to see. They beam with pride when they get it right! But of course, there's no harm's done when they forget because they have the calendar as a backup reminder ;)
True! It gives them a sense of responsibility and autonomy while taking some pressure off themselves too. A tangible calendar they can refer to takes away the guessing work and helps them understand the concept of time passing and events coming and going. It's a nice balance that build their confidence!

I totally agree! I've also noticed that my kids love the sense of accomplishment when they get to mark off each passing day, especially when we're awaiting an exciting event! It's a great visual tool and teaches them about time management and anticipation. They also learn to anticipate and count on routines which is half the battle with little ones!

That's so true - it's like giving them their very own mini calendar to mark special occasions and look forward to. And it does help with managing expectations and understanding the concept of time passing, especially for those who aren't quite there with their numbers yet. Love the idea!

It's such a simple concept but so effective in helping them understand the passage of time, and gets them excited for what's to come too. Glad you love it!

It's such a simple concept but so effective in helping them understand the passage of time, and gets them excited for what's to come too. Glad you love it!
Yup, it's amazing how the simplest concepts can make the biggest difference! The excitement levels can get a bit much at times, especially when they're super amped up for an upcoming holiday or celebration but I just love seeing them excited and eagerly anticipating the days to come. Their innocent excitement is infectious!

Yup, it's amazing how the simplest concepts can make the biggest difference! The excitement levels can get a bit much at times, especially when they're super amped up for an upcoming holiday or celebration but I just love seeing them excited and eagerly anticipating the days to come. Their innocent excitement is infectious!
Simple yet meaningful visual tools really are parent lifesavers, aren't they? Not only do they help our kids keep track of their schedules, but they also give a glimpse into their cognitive understanding and teach us a thing or two about how much they're absorbing.

It's delightful to see their curiosity and enthusiasm towards the world around them, isn't it? Those little joys make all the effort worth it!

Reactions: joyful and lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu