• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - twin or triplet tantrums

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This discussion is open to parents of multiples - whether you're expecting twins or triplets, or your little ones are already here!

Do your multiples ever get jealous of each other? How do you deal with tantrums from multiple children at the same time?! Share your experiences and tips here.

I'm expecting twins soon, so I haven't experienced this myself yet, but my sister has 4 year old twins and 2 year old triplets!

She says that jealousy was a huge issue for her - mainly because the twins had grown up together and shared everything since the beginning, so they were (and still are) incredibly close and similar in ability. Her strategy was to always make sure each child got equal attention - so if one twin played with her, the other would go and do some independent play nearby but in view, and vice versa. This seemed to work well because the children also got used to entertaining themselves for short periods from a young age which helped when she had the triplets!

Now the triplets are a little older and more understanding, she says the main issue is them all wanting different things - like one wants a snack, one wants a drink, one wants a toy...so she's always got 3 hands full and one upset child! Her approach now is to acknowledge how each of them feel and why they're upset, but also explain that she can only do one thing at a time - so it might be a good idea if they start by all discussing what they need together and helping her understand what's most important.

I'm interested to hear other people's strategies too!

Equal attention is a great strategy, it's fantastic that your sister found something that works for her - it can be so helpful to have a 'go-to' method!

You may find that having a prioritisation strategy like your sister does will help you too, especially as your twins get older and their personalities develop. When they're really young though, I'd suggest focusing on responding to their needs one at a time - it's usually best to tackle the louder, more insistent cry first!

You might find that having specific twin 'codes' helps, too. For example, if one twin cries first, you could have a sign or sound that signals to the other twin that you'll be with them next - giving them a sense of reassurance and comfort while you tend to their sibling. It's amazing how tuned in multiples can be to these kinds of cues!

Of course, every family is different so you'll find what works best for you, but these strategies might give you a good starting point.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu