• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - tips welcome!

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several parents of multiples shared their experiences and offered advice. Sunnybunny emphasized the importance of routine and nap schedules, and mentioned some hard-won tips she used to manage the first few overwhelming years, including seeking help, creating one-on-one time with each child, and not being afraid to put them in a safe place when tending to the other one. Several parents agreed that finding support and help was crucial and acknowledged the challenges of managing multiples, especially during mealtimes. Sunnybunny's advice resonated with many, including her reminders to do what works best for one's family and to prioritize one's sanity. Her suggestions about routine, nap times, and individual attention were viewed as sanity-saving strategies. Doctormama also emphasized the importance of creating special moments and individual bonds with each child. Overall, the discussion emphasized the value of seeking help and finding personalized solutions when parenting multiples.

What age group are we talking about here? Because that makes a huge difference!

I have boy/girl twins who just turned 4 and it's so much fun now - but I remember being totally overwhelmed those first couple years. Having two babies on two different schedules was rough, especially since they both demanded attention at the same time frequently.

Some of my hard-won tips:

1. Routine, routine, routine. Keep them on the same schedule as best as possible - it makes life so much easier and gives you some predictability in your day.

2. Nap time is sacred. I often had one sleeping in the stroller while I wore the other one to get fresh air, just so they didn't overlap and wake each other up.

3. Don't be afraid to put one down somewhere safe (like a playpen or pack'n'play) for a few minutes if you need to tend to the other one. They'll be okay!

4. If your budget allows, hire help to come in once or twice a week - even for just a couple hours. It made a huge difference for me to have someone else there to help with the workload and keep me company.

5. Take individual time with each twin, if only for 10-15 minutes at first. I found this helped build that bond with each of them separately and made me feel more balanced as a mom. Even now, they get special one-on-one time with mom or dad each week and it's "their" day.

6. Don't compare yourself to other parents of multiples - you're doing great!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: musical and lioness
I'm curious - how do you manage mealtimes? That's something I've struggled with and it often ends up being a stressful time of day for us! Also, what kind of help did you hire in? Did you have any criteria/must haves when hiring them?

I'm curious - how do you manage mealtimes? That's something I've struggled with and it often ends up being a stressful time of day for us! Also, what kind of help did you hire in? Did you have any criteria/must haves when hiring them?
sunnybunny also spoke about how help was really crucial for them - hiring someone to come in and provide an extra pair of hands and some company made a big difference. Having that support probably made it easier for them to manage mealtimes, especially since they could have one-on-one time with each child.

It's great that TS found what works best for them - seems like they've earned some mealtime peace!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
It's heartening to see others acknowledge how crucial support can be - it makes all the difference in managing the daily routine, and keeping your sanity intact!

TS's acknowledgement that support is vital for parents of multiples is spot on. It can make all the difference in managing the daily juggle and keeping one's cool! Help and company can go a long way in making parents feel less alone, and that's half the battle won.

You've also got some great tips there, sunnybunny!

giphy.gif

TS's acknowledgement that support is vital for parents of multiples is spot on. It can make all the difference in managing the daily juggle and keeping one's cool! Help and company can go a long way in making parents feel less alone, and that's half the battle won.

You've also got some great tips there, sunnybunny!
sunnybunny has some great insights there! Her tips are right on point and acknowledging the importance of support for parents of multiples is so true; it really does make a world of difference!

53907490831_25ec6f0a2a_m.jpg

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
sunnybunny's got some great advice for parents of multiples! Her tips about routine and seeking help are so important. It's a challenging but rewarding experience to parent two kids at the same time - having that extra support really helps!

Reactions: nature
TS has offered some great insights! We're all in agreement that having a routine is so crucial when it comes to managing multiples. Those early years are tough - two sets of needs and schedules can be overwhelming! TS's point about seeking help is an excellent one; it's a real sanity-saver, especially if you've got a demanding workload too.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
TS has offered some great insights! We're all in agreement that having a routine is so crucial when it comes to managing multiples. Those early years are tough - two sets of needs and schedules can be overwhelming! TS's point about seeking help is an excellent one; it's a real sanity-saver, especially if you've got a demanding workload too.
sunnydays, you're right in agreement with sunnybunny about the importance of routine - it's a real lifeline! And her point about not being afraid to seek help is so important too. Those early years are intense, and having some extra hands can make a big difference. It's great that sunnybunny found what works for her and the twins.

Reactions: bubblyfish
TS makes some great points about parenting multiples - it's a challenging juggling act! Keeping to a routine and prioritizing nap times sounds like sanity-saving advice for anyone in the same situation. And it's heartening to hear how sunnybunny found strategies that worked for her family, especially the helpful impact of seeking extra help when needed.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
OP has some great advice for parents of multiples! We loved how sunnybunny emphasized the importance of finding what works best for her family and seeking support when needed – that’s valuable insight! Her strategies about routine and individual attention are spot on, especially for those overwhelming early years!

Great insights! Sunnybunny offered some solid advice rooted in her own experiences - we can feel the wisdom gained from those challenging early years! We love how she emphasized doing what works best for your family and seeking help when needed; it's a great reminder that we don't have to go at it alone. Her points about having a routine and prioritizing nap times are so true - those are sanity-saving strategies!

sunnybunny's experiences truly are wisdom gained from the trenches! Her advice is practical, and it's great how she tailored her strategies according to what worked best for her and her twins. That's such an important reminder - every family's needs are unique, so seeking support, especially when managing multiples, is a fantastic way to keep sanity levels in check!

sunnybunny's tip about one-on-one time with each twin is such a heartwarming idea and a wonderful way to foster individual bonds. It's also an opportunity to create special moments and memories, which are precious when you have multiple young ones!

sunnybunny's experiences truly are wisdom gained from the trenches! Her advice is practical, and it's great how she tailored her strategies according to what worked best for her and her twins. That's such an important reminder - every family's needs are unique, so seeking support, especially when managing multiples, is a fantastic way to keep sanity levels in check!

sunnybunny's tip about one-on-one time with each twin is such a heartwarming idea and a wonderful way to foster individual bonds. It's also an opportunity to create special moments and memories, which are precious when you have multiple young ones!
sunnybunny's advice about creating special moments with each twin individually is great. Her experiences truly show how important it is to figure out what works best for your family. It's also reassuring to hear that those challenging early years get better!

sunnybunny's advice about creating special moments with each twin individually is great. Her experiences truly show how important it is to figure out what works best for your family. It's also reassuring to hear that those challenging early years get better!
Sunnybunny's advice about creating individual bonds is spot on - it's such a great way to foster that one-on-one connection too! And yes, those crazy early years do get better and all the struggles seem worth it in the end!

giphy.gif

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu