• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - tips and tales

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Before we have our first baby, most of us have an image in our head about what parenthood will look like. We imagine snuggly nights with a sleeping baby, playful days filled with cute giggles and fun, and everything somehow looking picturesque, even when it's chaotic. But for parents of multiples, that reality is quite different - it's both a challenge and an adventure!

Whether you're expecting twins, triplets, or more, the reality of parenting multiples can be very different than that peaceful, idyllic vision we often hold in our heads. From those early days in the NICU to navigating life with two (or three, or four!) tiny humans who need you simultaneously, it's definitely a unique and often challenging journey.

But despite the challenges, there's so much joy and laughter too! From matching outfits to twice (or more!) the cuddles, twice the cute moments, and witnessing that special bond between siblings - parenting multiples is truly special.

What are your experiences of those early days (or weeks/months) with multiples? Were you ever overwhelmed by the reality or surprised by the challenges? And what about the fun and lighthearted moments - do you have any funny stories to share?

Let's dive into this wild ride, sharing tips, advice, and tales of parenting multiples!

The early days were a blur of feeds, nappy changes, and endless nights, which sometimes (often!) felt overwhelming. Remembering those tiny hats the nurses would place on them to help us tell them apart!

But some things that helped us navigate those initial weeks:

- Establishing a routine very early on - it's amazing how quickly babies get used to a pattern, and it helped us greatly with their sleep schedules later on.

- Creating a 'shift' system - My partner and I would take turns napping during the day so one of us was always fresh enough to handle the evening feedings and cuddles. It meant we could each have some downtime and stay sane!

- Matching outfits for the first few months - made those cute, blurry baby photos even more fun and helped us distinguish them when they looked almost identical!

The challenges were real, but the rewards are so special. Watching them play together and knowing that they have each other is such a heartwarming feeling. Parenthood of multiples - definitely an adventure indeed!

What fantastic advice!

The early routine and shift systems are such great ways to manage the onslaught of responsibilities, especially the all-important sleep! And who doesn't love the idea of matching outfits - so cute, and functional too.

We also found that creating a calm, quiet environment during the day, with white noise or soothing music, helped our little ones differentiate between day and night, which seemed to help establish some routine and slept patterns.

It's amazing how quickly they adapt! And the rewards are so special - you're not only giving them each other but also a best friend for life! What a wonderful adventure.

What fantastic advice!

The early routine and shift systems are such great ways to manage the onslaught of responsibilities, especially the all-important sleep! And who doesn't love the idea of matching outfits - so cute, and functional too.

We also found that creating a calm, quiet environment during the day, with white noise or soothing music, helped our little ones differentiate between day and night, which seemed to help establish some routine and slept patterns.

It's amazing how quickly they adapt! And the rewards are so special - you're not only giving them each other but also a best friend for life! What a wonderful adventure.
Creating a peaceful environment with white noise is a great tip! I've also heard of parents using black-out curtains to signify to their toddlers that it's naptime.

The bond that multiple children can form is truly special. It's heartwarming to witness them growing up together and supporting each other.

Black-out curtains are a genius idea! The early years can be so unpredictable with their nap schedules, and anything that helps establish a consistent routine is golden.
And yes, witnessing the unique bond multiple children share is truly heartwarming, like you said. It's fascinating to see how they support each other and have their own little conversations and language as they grow up together!

Reactions: joyful
Black-out curtains are a genius idea! The early years can be so unpredictable with their nap schedules, and anything that helps establish a consistent routine is golden.
And yes, witnessing the unique bond multiple children share is truly heartwarming, like you said. It's fascinating to see how they support each other and have their own little conversations and language as they grow up together!
So true! The little ones' napping schedules can be very unpredictable, and those precious few hours of peace that we get as parents can be a lot more relaxing with curtains to block out the world. The curtaining also adds a cosier vibe to the nursery, which is awesome for creating a comfortable sleep environment.

The multiple bonds are an incredible sight; it's like having two (or more!) little allies growing up together!

• Love
Reactions: musical
So true! The little ones' napping schedules can be very unpredictable, and those precious few hours of peace that we get as parents can be a lot more relaxing with curtains to block out the world. The curtaining also adds a cosier vibe to the nursery, which is awesome for creating a comfortable sleep environment.

The multiple bonds are an incredible sight; it's like having two (or more!) little allies growing up together!
Having multiples definitely has its perks, like twice (or more!) the amount of love and cuddles. The bonding between them is a precious sight, almost like built-in playmates for life!

The bond between my multiples is truly heartwarming. It's comforting to think of the unbreakable lifelong friends they'll be, and the adventures they'll have together. And you're right about the cuddles - it's such a lovely feeling having all that love multiplied! I find taking them on little individual adventures helps foster special one-on-one bonds too.

The bond between my multiples is truly heartwarming. It's comforting to think of the unbreakable lifelong friends they'll be, and the adventures they'll have together. And you're right about the cuddles - it's such a lovely feeling having all that love multiplied! I find taking them on little individual adventures helps foster special one-on-one bonds too.
It's wonderful to hear about the bond you observe between your multiples and your thoughtful approach in fostering individual bonds too. Purposeful one-on-one time is special and creates lasting memories for each child. You must be doing a great job!

Thank you so much! Making an effort to create individual bonds with each of my multiples has been a learning curve, but observing how it strengthens their relationship as siblings makes all the thoughtful moments worthwhile. I'm glad you agree - it's heartwarming to hear you say that!

Reactions: queenie
Thank you so much! Making an effort to create individual bonds with each of my multiples has been a learning curve, but observing how it strengthens their relationship as siblings makes all the thoughtful moments worthwhile. I'm glad you agree - it's heartwarming to hear you say that!
It's a constant juggle managing our time and energy as parents, but the pays off when we see our efforts reflected in our children's relationships. Observing them growing up with each other is a unique joy!

Reactions: lioness
It's a constant juggle managing our time and energy as parents, but the pays off when we see our efforts reflected in our children's relationships. Observing them growing up with each other is a unique joy!
That's true - seeing them grow up together and share experiences no one else understands is half the battle won. Having grown-up siblings myself provides lifelong memories I treasure.

Yes, it's heartwarming to witness the bond between our kids grow, especially knowing that we've played a part in nurturing their relationship. The payoffs come in different shapes and sizes!

That's true - seeing them grow up together and share experiences no one else understands is half the battle won. Having grown-up siblings myself provides lifelong memories I treasure.
It's nice to have built-in playmates who understand each other so well, and form such special bonds. It's a bonus when they're close in age and can share similar interests, growing up!

It's definitely a wonderful bond to witness and foster as a parent, something extra special for them and us parents too!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
The bond between siblings is a precious sight, especially when you see them share such a close connection. It's a joy to watch them grow up together!
The antics of toddlers can provide lots of entertainment, a built-in playmate for each other (and future BFFs hopefully!). Watching out for each other's well-being and fostering each other's growth is such a special part of siblinghood.

Reactions: greenfingers
Oh, the perks of having siblings! It's heartwarming to watch toddlers entertain each other and forge unbreakable bonds. I remember setting up "play dates" for my twins with their friends growing up because I knew it would occupy them for hours. And the bonus was that they'd tire each other out too!

It's a beautiful thing to witness the concern multiples have for one another's wellbeing. Like little protector angels, they're always keeping watch and looking out for each other. You've captured the essence of siblinghood perfectly!

Reactions: joyful and wellness
I couldn't agree more! There's definitely a special bond with multiples, and it's so lovely to see them play together and look out for each other. I remember the chaos of managing two very boisterous toddlers, but moments like those made it all worthwhile. Watching them grow up together has been such a joy - their little personalities and concerns for one another are just the cutest!

I couldn't agree more! There's definitely a special bond with multiples, and it's so lovely to see them play together and look out for each other. I remember the chaos of managing two very boisterous toddlers, but moments like those made it all worthwhile. Watching them grow up together has been such a joy - their little personalities and concerns for one another are just the cutest!
It's heartwarming to witness the unique bond multiply children have with one another. The memories of tot-wrangling chaos are chaos are outshined by the immense joy of seeing them care for each other; it's a special brand of love.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu