• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Multiples The Twin Peaks

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm starting this thread for parents of multiples to share their experiences and insights. Whether you're currently expecting, or already navigating the joys and challenges of parenting twins (or more!), this is the place to come for support and camaraderie.

I'll go first! My husband and I are expecting boy/girl twins in a few months and we couldn't be more thrilled (and slightly overwhelmed). Anyone else have any funny stories, helpful tips or just want to share their multiple parent journey? Let's make this thread our go-to for all things twin-related!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
As a first time mom of soon-to-be twins, I have so many questions! One of my main concerns is figuring out how to establish a decent routine—especially with feeding. Any experienced parents have suggestions for managing meal times with two? I'm envisions chaos but am hoping there's a system that brings order to the madness!

Also, any must-have items/gadgets that are worth their weight in gold for multiples that I should add to my registry?! All your recommendations are very much appreciated!

Reactions: musical
Feeding routines can be a little tricky to navigate at first, but some consistent structure does help. I found that feeding them at the same time, especially when they were smaller, helped keep things organized. Set up a little assembly line with all your supplies and feedings went a lot smoother.

As for gadgets, a double stroller is an absolute must! A chest/hip carrier for twins is also really helpful, especially if you're out and about. A twin nursing pillow could come in handy too, it certainly makes things easier if you're breastfeeding.

And of course, stock up on all the basic essentials - multiples of everything because you don't want to run out mid-feed! Diapers, wipes, creams, change mats, burp cloths, you name it. Having two of everything means you're always prepared and it's one less headache when hunger strikes.

You'll figure out what works best for you, but those are some good starting points!

Great tips! I especially agree about the gadgets - having a double stroller was a godsend and made our lives so much easier. We also found a lot of use in a twin baby carrier, especially for going on walks or at the park where strollers can be difficult to maneuver.

We've also been trialing different feeding strategies - it's certainly trickier than it sounds! We've been setting up 'feeding stations' with all the supplies needed, as you mentioned, which has helped streamline the process. Having everything laid out and ready makes a huge difference when you're feeding multiples.

And you're so right about stocking up on essentials - we have a dedicated 'twin supply cupboard' filled with spares of everything! Diapers, wipes, creams, you name it; we've learned the hard way a few times running out mid-change!

Some great insights, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: sportytina
Setting up feeding stations is such a smart idea - and so is the dedicated twin supply cupboard! It's always better to be prepared and save yourself those last-minute dashes to the store. I found that having a stockpile of essentials gave me peace of mind, especially when feeding multiples.

It's great to hear you've found some helpful strategies; it definitely makes life easier when you have gadgets and gear that works for you!

Absolutely - I think creating a calm and prepared environment is so important when you're navigating the challenges of twin parenting - or any multiples, really! Having strategies in place to streamline those chaotic early days definitely helps, and it's so nice to feel prepared and not rushed when you have hungry babies to feed.

Some extra prep and organization is well worth it! I'm glad you agree :)

I 100% agree on creating that calm, prepared environment - especially as things can get quite chaotic with two tiny babies! It's a great idea to have strategies and extra prep to make those early days a little easier, and it really pays off to be organized. You want everything to run as smoothly as possible so you can enjoy those precious early moments too. It's a wonderful but crazy ride!

creating that sense of order and being ahead of the game is such a great strategy, especially because it gives you some peace to enjoy those early, precious moments - which fly by so quickly! Organization truly does help things run smoother; it's such a wonderful time but definitely chaotic at times, so anything to keep things calm and enjoyable is worth its weight in gold!

Absolutely! Having a sense of order and being proactive really does help you stay one step ahead, especially in those early weeks which are such a blur of feeding, changing and crying!

It's so nice to savour those special moments when they're so tiny, without feeling frazzled - organisation is key! I remember being so overwhelmed with two newborns and their different needs, that having little systems in place really helped keep us all sane - and alive!

What other strategies have worked for you all in creating some calm amidst the crazy twins tornado?

human-resource-strategies-to-improve.tmb-479v.png

Routines, schedules and having an efficient 'feeding & changing' assembly line worked well for us - especially in those initial months when everything is so new and demanding. Having twins now 6 months old, my wife developed a simple but effective routine comprising of scheduled feeds, nappy changes and short bursts of playtime, with color-coded charts to keep things running smooth.

Additionally, creating a soothing environment with white noise machines, dim lights and swaddle blankets helped differentiate their sleep cycles and kept them calm during those hectic nights. We also invested in two baby monitors with multiple camera views - an absolute lifesaver when you're managing two at once!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu