• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples Insights on both ends of the spectrum

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I have two children, and while it's certainly not always easy - especially when they were younger - I wouldn't change it for the world! There's a unique dynamic with multiples that you don't experience otherwise - both good and bad. Parents of multiples, what have your experiences been like? Do you feel there's anything about parenting multiples that people without them would never understand, or appreciate?

And on the other side of things, if you're an only child or have siblings widely spaced apart in age, what do you reckon are some of the unique aspects of growing up that way? What insights might you have that could help parents of multiples keep things in perspective?

As a parent of grown twins, the most important insight I can offer is to emphasize how different "multiples" can be from each other in personality and interests and to remember to treat them as the individuals they are-- something parents are likely well aware of but may need reminding of when dealing with the challenges multiples present.

This was brought home to me during a difficult patch when one twin struggled with confidence; the other, while sympathetic, didn't share the same insecurities. My approach needed to change to suit their individual needs - one needed encouragement and reassurance, the other, space to figure things out on her own.

Also, as twins often have their peer partnership, I had to remember not to get too caught up in thinking their experience was universal or typical—especially when they were young and their bond was especially close—because their experiences were so often shared. Their twinship was an incredible gift but could also be a challenge when it came to encouraging them to branch out and form other friendships. Balancing the two was tricky!

And while identical twins have the added layer of physical similarity, which can lead to mistaken identity, I found celebrating their differences and encouraging their individual interests and talents was key to fostering their sense of selves—again, something that might be easy to overlook in the multiples dynamic.

I think what parents of multiples might find most frustrating is the assumption that because children are part of a multiple birth, they're necessarily "the same." I found it helpful to remember each child's uniqueness and to approach their upbringing with that sensitivity— two similar experiences on my part could result in very different outcomes for each child. It kept things interesting!

On the other side of the spectrum, I think only children or those with widely spaced siblings might comment on the unshared reference points multiples and their parents often share. As an only child myself, I can say that multiples' shared experience is something I found fascinating—and at times, a bit enviable!—as it's such a different dynamic than the sole focus often given to only children.

But with that envy came the understanding that multiples also miss out on certain experiences: namely, being the sole focus and learning independent problem-solving from an early age . While multiples have each other, there's also the potential for more conflict—another aspect I'd flag for parents so they can maybe facilitate some peaceful resolutions!

All in all, it's quite the adventure either way, but some perspective from the other side of the spectrum might help parents of multiples keep their unique challenges and joys in perspective.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Some great insights there - thank you for sharing your experiences!

You're right about the assumptions often made about multiples and the importance of treating them as individuals. It's fascinating to hear how you navigated the challenges of their shared experiences and the potential pitfalls of mistaken identity, especially given your own experience as an only child.

I remember being fascinated by the dynamic between my friend and her sister , but I also witnessed the friction that came with the territory - the constant comparison, for example, must've been exhausting for them! As you say, it's a real tightrope act, balancing their shared experiences with encouragement to branch out.

It's wonderful you were so attuned to each of their needs and the thought you put into celebrating their individuality. I can imagine it made for a rewarding and interesting journey! And yes, the idea of multiples having to share the parental spotlight is an interesting one - definitely a very different experience from that of being an only child or having siblings spaced out more widely.

Some helpful food for thought here for parents especially those first embarking on the multiples adventure!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Thanks so much for your thoughtful response and for picking up on all of that! You're absolutely right about the friction and exhaustion that can come with constant comparison, it's a tricky tightrope to navigate. I'm glad you found some of our insights helpful - hopefully any parents of multiples out there can take some lessons from our experiences too!

Absolutely! It's so true - the comparison trap is such a exhausting and insidious thing, especially when you're already navigating the challenging and rewarding path of parenting. I think the key takeaway is to remember that every experience is different, and just because they share similarities doesn't mean they are the same.

• Love
Reactions: nature
So true - it's so easy to fall into that comparison trap, and then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment or feeling like you're not measuring up. Better to appreciate and celebrate our different experiences!

So much yes!!! I think when you have multiples especially it's easy because there is often that preconception or expectation of what life should look like, and often people feel they need to keep up with others - especially as many multiple sets now have a huge social media presence so people feel more inclined to compare. We've definitely found that every stage looks different too - our very strong willed girls keep us on our toes! But that's just what makes it so interesting, and while it can be exhausting at times, we wouldn't change it! So agree it's about embracing the unique experience and not comparing - easier said than done many days, but so important!!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and bookworm
That's such a great way to put it—every stage looks different with multiples and it's all an interesting adventure! It can be easy to fall into the comparison trap, but like you say, embracing the unique experience and not comparing is so important. Exhausting, but fun!

I think because we're so used to hearing about the difficulties - which don't get me wrong, are very real - people are quite surprised to hear that it's a wonderful experience too. There's such a unique bond between multiples, and watching them play together, support each other and share experiences is really special. That camaraderie is such a lovely dynamic to observe as a parent and definitely makes the challenging bits more manageable!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I agree, there's definitely a unique and wonderful experience in watching multiples interact and having that special bond. The struggles are real but hearing laughter, seeing shared experiences and that unspoken connection makes it all worthwhile!

Reactions: chickadee
Absolutely! The struggles are challenging, but the rewards of parenting multiples are incredibly special. Those precious moments of shared experiences, their inside jokes, and unspoken bond strengthen with time. Witnessing their unique language and special connection is a wonderful experience parents of singletons rarely get to see.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu