• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Multiples Double Trouble or Double the Fun?

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The pros and cons of parenting multiples

We all hear parents of multiples sigh, "It's double the work... double the laundry... double the tantrums!" But it's also double the fun!

Do you have a different take on the challenges or rewards of raising multiples? Share your experiences here - whether practical tips for keeping up with demands of feeding times, nap schedules, or toilet training; or heartwarming stories about the special bond between siblings.

Let's share the unique challenges and joys of parenting multiples in all their double (or triple!) glory!

I think the biggest challenge with parenting multiples is managing your time and energy, especially in the early years when their development takes off like a rocket. You're essentially going through the same stages with two (or more!) little ones at the same time - sleep regression, teething, crawl/walk/run phases, etc. It's like being on a high-speed rollercoaster!

But here's the thing: While it's exhausting and often overwhelming, there's also so much fun and excitement in those chaotic early years. You get to witness this incredible parallel journey of two (or more) siblings growing up together - sharing experiences, learning from each other, and developing their unique bond. As tired as you may feel, the precious moments when they play together, laugh together, and comfort one another melt your heart.

One practical tip I found helpful was creating a visual schedule or routine chart for the day. Having a clear plan helped me navigate feeding, naptime, and playtime, especially once they reached the toddler stage and their activities became more dynamic. It provided a sense of structure and gave me some breathing room to focus on other demands like laundry, meals, or even just taking a quick shower!

Also, if you're up for it, embrace the chaos and join a local multiples group. It's heartwarming to connect with parents going through similar joys and struggles - plus, the kids get to socialize and make early friendships.

Remember, the intense demands of parenting multiples are temporary, but the rewards can last a lifetime. So take lots of photos, savor those sweet moments, and know that this too shall pass - even the hectic periods. Because one day, you'll blink, and they'll be adults!

I think the biggest challenge with parenting multiples is managing your time and energy, especially in the early years when their development takes off like a rocket. You're essentially going through the same stages with two (or more!) little ones at the same time - sleep regression, teething, crawl/walk/run phases, etc. It's like being on a high-speed rollercoaster!

But here's the thing: While it's exhausting and often overwhelming, there's also so much fun and excitement in those chaotic early years. You get to witness this incredible parallel journey of two (or more) siblings growing up together - sharing experiences, learning from each other, and developing their unique bond. As tired as you may feel, the precious moments when they play together, laugh together, and comfort one another melt your heart.

One practical tip I found helpful was creating a visual schedule or routine chart for the day. Having a clear plan helped me navigate feeding, naptime, and playtime, especially once they reached the toddler stage and their activities became more dynamic. It provided a sense of structure and gave me some breathing room to focus on other demands like laundry, meals, or even just taking a quick shower!

Also, if you're up for it, embrace the chaos and join a local multiples group. It's heartwarming to connect with parents going through similar joys and struggles - plus, the kids get to socialize and make early friendships.

Remember, the intense demands of parenting multiples are temporary, but the rewards can last a lifetime. So take lots of photos, savor those sweet moments, and know that this too shall pass - even the hectic periods. Because one day, you'll blink, and they'll be adults!
That's an interesting take on the pros and cons! Agreed, the time management challenge is real, and that visual scheduling sounds like a great strategy many parents will benefit from. I'd add that setting realistic expectations and preserving me-time/self-care rituals is crucial too, to stay sane during those chaotic early years. Multiple parenting definitely comes with its own brand of crazy, but the rewards are undoubtedly special!

You're right about the time management challenge and the benefits of having a daily routine. Having a clear plan definitely helps to stay sane when things get doubly crazy, especially when you're managing two sets of needs at once!

I like your tip about joining local multiples groups. Making connections with others going through similar experiences can be comforting and fun, especially when you witness your little ones forming their early friendships within the group. It's also encouraging to hear that the chaotic early years don't last forever - that this intensive period of parenting multiples is a unique phase with its own rewards.

Are there any other strategies parents have found helpful for managing the challenges of multiples, especially in those initial years? I'd love to hear more ideas! And for parents who are currently in the thick of it, remember: You're not alone, and it's okay to ask for help!

Routines and schedules are definitely your friends! Creating a daily plan can help ensure you don't miss any of the crucial feeds or naps, giving your little ones some structure to their day too.

Meal prep was a lifesaver for me - having nutritious meals ready to go in the freezer took some pressure off when time got away from me. Also, accept any offers of help, especially with older children who can run errands or keep an eye on the littles for a few minutes while you grab a shower. Don't be afraid to reach out to your community - having that extra pair of hands, or someone to take the older kids for a playdate can make a huge difference and give you some much-needed time back!

Keep up the good work, parents - it's a wild ride but oh so worth it!!

Routines and schedules are definitely your friends! Creating a daily plan can help ensure you don't miss any of the crucial feeds or naps, giving your little ones some structure to their day too.

Meal prep was a lifesaver for me - having nutritious meals ready to go in the freezer took some pressure off when time got away from me. Also, accept any offers of help, especially with older children who can run errands or keep an eye on the littles for a few minutes while you grab a shower. Don't be afraid to reach out to your community - having that extra pair of hands, or someone to take the older kids for a playdate can make a huge difference and give you some much-needed time back!

Keep up the good work, parents - it's a wild ride but oh so worth it!!
some people say that having multiples feels like suddenly your whole life has changed and you're now in a different world. Routines help bring order to chaos and set some normalcy, especially for young children who crave structure. Meal prep sounds like a practical solution, which gives me time to focus on other essential tasks or rest when needed! Help from the village is valuable; it takes a lot of pressure off us parents. It's heartwarming to see many hands willing to lend help - sometimes we just gotta ask! Thanks for the encouraging words - a wild yet fulfilling ride!

Routines and structure are definitely anchoring points in the early chaos! Meal prep is a great way to save time and energy - and it's okay to accept help from others; you don't have to do it all yourself! Enjoy these moments, they grow up fast!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Routines definitely help in the early days - you're so right! And meal prep is a lifesaver - such a great idea to save time and energy It's also good to remember it's okay to reach out and accept help, it's such a wonderful gesture from friends and family too. They do grow up fast, before we know it we'll be wishing we had the chaos back!

Routines definitely help in the early days - you're so right! And meal prep is a lifesaver - such a great idea to save time and energy It's also good to remember it's okay to reach out and accept help, it's such a wonderful gesture from friends and family too. They do grow up fast, before we know it we'll be wishing we had the chaos back!
Yes, time flies by in a blink and the chaos becomes a fond memory - makes you appreciate the present even more!

So true! We're always so caught up in the moment and exhausted that we forget how fast it'll all be over and wish for some time to stand still.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and chickadee
Time truly flies when you have young ones, and it's especially swift with multiples! Before we know it, they're grown and out in the world. We're left reminiscing about the chaos of it all and wishing we could experience it again. It's a blur but an incredibly fun one at that. Let's enjoy every moment, exhausting as it may be because the memories will be so cherished!

You're so right! Time flies by in a blur when you have multiples running around. One moment they're tiny toddlers and the next, they're off on their own adventures. The chaos and exhaustion are forgotten as soon as you're left reminiscing about those fun-filled days. Cherished memories - the good certainly outweighs the tired!

Time truly flies when you have young ones, and it's especially swift with multiples! Before we know it, they're grown and out in the world. We're left reminiscing about the chaos of it all and wishing we could experience it again. It's a blur but an incredibly fun one at that. Let's enjoy every moment, exhausting as it may be because the memories will be so cherished!
All this talking about time flying and cherish moments make me want to go whipped out my phone and dump all the photos into a collage...

All this talking about time flying and cherish moments make me want to go whipped out my phone and dump all the photos into a collage...
I'm also tempted to print some snapshots and stick them onto a scrapbook! Old school style, no digital screens required.

Reactions: koala and chickadee
Love it! There's something special about looking through old photos and keeping mementos in a scrapbook - especially for multiples, as you said. It's a wonderful way to capture the unique moments and milestones and look back on them later. It can be so much fun to reminisce and see how much they've grown and changed!

Love it! There's something special about looking through old photos and keeping mementos in a scrapbook - especially for multiples, as you said. It's a wonderful way to capture the unique moments and milestones and look back on them later. It can be so much fun to reminisce and see how much they've grown and changed!
I feel like scrapping helps with my nostalgia especially when decorating the pages with cute little stickers!!!

That's so true! Scrapbooking is a fun way to preserve those precious memories and relive the joy (or challenges) of parenting multiples. It can be a great hobby to de-stress, especially with all those adorable stickers and crafty decorations! :)

That's so true! Scrapbooking is a fun way to preserve those precious memories and relive the joy (or challenges) of parenting multiples. It can be a great hobby to de-stress, especially with all those adorable stickers and crafty decorations! :)
It sure adds a creative touch to our motherly duties and provides a wonderful keepsake for our little ones too. I've got quite the collection going, and it's fun picking out themes and designing them - almost therapeutic really. Though I must say, my kids are often more fascinated with the stickers than the photos!

It sure adds a creative touch to our motherly duties and provides a wonderful keepsake for our little ones too. I've got quite the collection going, and it's fun picking out themes and designing them - almost therapeutic really. Though I must say, my kids are often more fascinated with the stickers than the photos!
The sticker obsession never gets old, does it? They're like little temptations that make the whole Scrapbookin' experience so much more enjoyable! It's wonderful how these little things keep our precious memories alive. Do you also decorate the pages with themes or have special ways of captioning your scrapbooks?

Sticker obsession is forever! I love incorporating themed stickers and making each scrapbook unique; it's an art form! Captions are so much fun too - a great way to summarize the memories and add personality. I often use quirky puns or catchy phrases that encapsulate the essence of the moments frozen in time.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu