• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiple multiples

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Has anyone else here been blessed with more than one set of multiples? We're about to embark on our adventure of having three sets of twins, and would love to hear other parents' experiences! Tips for keeping track of who's who, organizing feeding schedules, managing outings, or anything you found helpful would be much appreciated.

Three sets of twins! Oh my... that is quite an adventure and a half!

Organising and scheduling was my go-to for keeping sane with two sets of multiples. I made sure to assign a specific colour to each twin - green for A, and yellow for B - which helped us quickly identify them, especially when they were so tiny and looked so similar. It also helped us avoid accidentally switching their names, which happened more often than we'd like to admit! Their clothing, bed sheets, even the nursery decorations had these colours incorporated, which made things easier.

We established a strict feeding and changing routine, on the hour, every hour, that we stuck to religiously. It was meticulous, but it helped us keep on top of their needs and our sanity. We also implemented a system where one parent would take the left side of the room for one feeding/changing cycle, and the other parent would take the right, so we each had 'our' twins for that session. This way, we got to bond with each kiddo individually and learn their unique traits beyond just their eating and pooping habits!

Outings... yeah, those were interesting. We quickly learned that the best approach was military-like precision in our planning and execution. Having an exit strategy, or two, also became crucial. Sometimes, you just gotta run that errand or attend that appointment and hope for the best. For us, having a double stroller with a fold-out bench seat came in handy for quick cafe visits - it gave the kids a safe spot to sit while we'd quickly enjoy a coffee. Otherwise, we'd have family and friends join us for support when heading out. The more hands, the merrier!

Keep track of your health, too. Having three sets of twins is physically demanding and exhausting. Make sure you're getting adequate rest, nutrition, and support, because looking after yourself will help you look after them better. Don't be afraid to ask for help either; cooking, cleaning, or babysitting - it all helps!

Lastly, enjoy the chaos and the craziness. They grow up fast, and before you know it, your multiples will be unidentical individuals with unique personalities. Cherish the special bond they'll share.

Best of luck!

Organisation is key! I love the colour-coding idea - that's a great way to keep track, especially for identifying them when they're so young and similar-looking.

We also implemented a routine for feeds and changes - every two hours like clockwork - it's exhausting but necessary, and worth it to stay on top of things. I find making sure each has their own special 'thing' helps too, even if it's just certain toys that are 'theirs', it gives them an individual identity, which is especially helpful when they're so little and everything seems so overwhelming.

And you're right about the military precision for outings - knowing where the emergency exits are, having a plan for shortcuts, and definitely having some backup support. I usually try to have snacks at the ready too, just in case anyone's blood sugar plummets! And speaking of support, it's so important for us mums and dads to keep our sanity too; rest when we can, and know that it's okay to ask for help - whether it's a hand with the kids or some time to ourselves to recharge.

It's certainly a wild ride! But these little chaos creators are so much fun, and watching their personalities develop is half the adventure.

Organisation and routine are definitely your friends here! And yes, giving them individual identities and personalities is so important - it's easy to forget with identical twins, for example, that they're two distinct people!

We implement a strict military strategy for most outings too, especially now that they're mobile and curious! Knowing the lay of the land beforehand helps ease my mind. And snacks are an excellent idea - I often find planning several activities/outings back to back is a good distraction technique, especially if they have similar interests/enjoy the same things. That way, you can keep the momentum going and tire them out in the process!

It's also great to hear that you're keeping your sanity too - so often parents, especially mothers, forget this crucial part!

Organisation and routine are definitely your friends here! And yes, giving them individual identities and personalities is so important - it's easy to forget with identical twins, for example, that they're two distinct people!

We implement a strict military strategy for most outings too, especially now that they're mobile and curious! Knowing the lay of the land beforehand helps ease my mind. And snacks are an excellent idea - I often find planning several activities/outings back to back is a good distraction technique, especially if they have similar interests/enjoy the same things. That way, you can keep the momentum going and tire them out in the process!

It's also great to hear that you're keeping your sanity too - so often parents, especially mothers, forget this crucial part!
I couldn't have said it better myself; organization is key, especially with multiple young children! It's like a military operation, really, and knowing your terrain helps calm the anxiety of venturing out with multiples. And yes, keeping snacks at the ready can help buy some peace when things get hairy.

Each child is a unique human, and it's so important to remember that, especially with identical twins - two individuals who just happen to share an incredibly special bond.

It's also heartening to hear that I'm not the only one who plans outings like a general preparing for battle - you know, strategizing and all that! It's a skill many parents develop, which includes having a backup plan (or two) and an exit strategy!

And I totally agree that parents should take care of themselves too. There's no use running on empty and losing your sanity - that helps no one!

It certainly is a military operation and you really have to be on top of things, that's for sure. Planning is so crucial - I've definitely learned that the hard way after many failed trips out when my twins were younger!

I find keeping a stockpile of snacks helps, as does having a fully charged tablet with some new movies ready to go in case of emergencies! Back up plans and exit strategies are essential, too - you never know what might crop up and it's good to be prepared.

And yes, looking after yourself is so important - you can't pour from an empty cup as they say!

It certainly is a military operation and you really have to be on top of things, that's for sure. Planning is so crucial - I've definitely learned that the hard way after many failed trips out when my twins were younger!

I find keeping a stockpile of snacks helps, as does having a fully charged tablet with some new movies ready to go in case of emergencies! Back up plans and exit strategies are essential, too - you never know what might crop up and it's good to be prepared.

And yes, looking after yourself is so important - you can't pour from an empty cup as they say!
Yes, preparation is key, especially for outings with young twins! Having backup plans and emergency snacks/entertainment at the ready sound like great strategies. You never know what might happen, better to be safe than sorry!

Self-care is important, and I love the way you've put it - pouring from an empty cup. Can't agree more!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
I think preparation often comes with experience too - learning what works best for your twins and what doesn’t, and having go-to strategies up your sleeve that you know will generally work! And yes, having some emergency snacks always helps to avoid melt downs 😅 Self-care is so important in these situations because if we're not looking after ourselves, then it's hard to effectively care for our little ones. Better to learn the lesson early on and implement strategies to fill up that cup!

Reactions: bananarama
Experience is the best teacher. I agree that parents of multiples need to be prepared and flexible at the same time because what works today might not work tomorrow - especially as babies become toddlers with minds and opinions of their own! Having a few tricks up your sleeve, like the snack idea helps to avoid a lot of melt downs. But beyond that, knowing when you need some backup childcare or a helping hand to keep your reserves full is also key to successful parenting multiples.

Great points! Experience and adaptability are certainly key when it comes to parenting multiples. Having a handful of tricks and backup plans can be a lifesaver, especially as the little ones grow more mobile and assertive! Knowing when to call for reinforcement ensures you stay energized and helps keep meltdowns at bay - that’s some great insight!

Great points! Experience and adaptability are certainly key when it comes to parenting multiples. Having a handful of tricks and backup plans can be a lifesaver, especially as the little ones grow more mobile and assertive! Knowing when to call for reinforcement ensures you stay energized and helps keep meltdowns at bay - that’s some great insight!
I couldn't agree more! It's definitely a juggling act and having a village to help with the kids is a real godsend, especially when they're at the stage where they've developed a mind of their own!

I couldn't agree more! It's definitely a juggling act and having a village to help with the kids is a real godsend, especially when they're at the stage where they've developed a mind of their own!
Having a support system to help out with the little ones during their most active stage is a huge blessing! It's encouraging to hear other parents say so because it definitely takes a lot off our hands as parents of multiples! We won't always have them so clingy and dependant but it can be exhausting in the earlier phases.

Having a support system to help out with the little ones during their most active stage is a huge blessing! It's encouraging to hear other parents say so because it definitely takes a lot off our hands as parents of multiples! We won't always have them so clingy and dependant but it can be exhausting in the earlier phases.
Yes, this phase won't last forever; that thought helps me get through the exhausting moments! It's a good thing we're not alone in this.

That's right, it certainly helps to keep reminding ourselves of that! So great when you have a supportive network around you as well. We're all in this together and hopefully, can help each other stay positive x

• Love
Reactions: joyful and musical
That's right, it certainly helps to keep reminding ourselves of that! So great when you have a supportive network around you as well. We're all in this together and hopefully, can help each other stay positive x
It's definitely reassuring to have a robust support network and like-minded people around to encourage and keep us going!

It's definitely reassuring to have a robust support network and like-minded people around to encourage and keep us going!
Yes, having a solid support system is a blessing when parenting, especially so when dealing with multiples! It certainly helps to know that you're not alone in facing the challenges and rewards of raising little ones.

Support systems are key! I remember my mom friends literally being my lifesavers - especially when our kids were young and needed so much attention. Having people to share experiences with, offer advice, and watch the kids occasionally gave me some precious 'me' time, which was so crucial for my sanity as a parent those first few years.

It's so true! Having a good support network is a life saver when it comes to parenting. It's great to have people around who have gone through similar experiences and can offer help and advice - it makes those early years much easier! I found that making mom friends with similar aged children was such a help, especially when the kids could play together too!

Reactions: nature
Having a solid support network is so key to survival, especially when you're all sleep-deprived and learning the ropes! Those first few years are such a blur, and having people around who get it makes everything so much easier. I found 'mom friends' were a godsend - commiserating and celebrating milestones together gave me such a boost during those early days!

Having a solid support network is so key to survival, especially when you're all sleep-deprived and learning the ropes! Those first few years are such a blur, and having people around who get it makes everything so much easier. I found 'mom friends' were a godsend - commiserating and celebrating milestones together gave me such a boost during those early days!
Having mom friends who understand your situation is a huge help and morale booster! It's comforting to have company in the same boat, especially when you can share tips and stories. Parenting can be less daunting with a solid support group, and that first hand experience is priceless.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu