• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Made Easier

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Here's a brainwave: let's compile our best life-changing parenting hacks here!

I'll start: When my LO was struggling with separation anxiety, this one saved me: got some cheap, fragrant soap and kept it on my person whenever we're out and about or when LO's fretting at home. The faint soapy smell helps calm him and reminds him that mom's around even if he can't see me! He quickly settled down after a while - worked like a charm every time!

What say you, parents? Any hacks that make your life easier? Could be anything, really; from sleeping to meal times to behaviour - let's help each other out!

That's a great hack! I find that having a few reliable calming strategies up your sleeve can make all the difference for those tricky situations.

My go-to for many stages has been using a 'special' word - a made-up word with a fun action that you use consistently. For instance, my kids know that if they're ever feeling overwhelmed or hyper, I'll say the special word and ask them to do the action, which signals it's time to calm down and focus (think of it as their secret superhero signal!). It's amazing how quickly it snaps them out of a funk and helps them regulate their emotions.

Another one for sleep-related issues: create a 'countdown calendar' for those first few tricky nights in a big kid bed. Each night, they get a sticker or mark of some sort for staying put until morning. Once they reach a certain number of nights (say 10), there's a small reward waiting - nothing extravagant, just a fun, cheap toy or outing will do. Worked wonders for my little one's confidence when making the transition!

What other sleep strategies have worked for you all?

For sleep, we played a game we called 'Cloud Watchers' which helped our little ones stay in bed until morning. We'd talk about it during the day, getting them excited to spot clouds and make up stories about what they saw.

Come bedtime, once tucked in, we'd open the window curtains and draw the attention to the night sky/clouds and agree on a signal for them to wave when they spotted some cool shapes. It gave them something fun and engaging to focus on instead of wandering out of bed, plus it helped foster their imagination.

We also had a 'reward jar' which was great for positive reinforcement. Each time they stayed put all night, they got to pick a reward from the jar - which had things like picking the next bedtime story, choosing the family dinner menu, or a fun sticker reward. This kept them motivated and proud of their progress!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
For sleep, we played a game we called 'Cloud Watchers' which helped our little ones stay in bed until morning. We'd talk about it during the day, getting them excited to spot clouds and make up stories about what they saw.

Come bedtime, once tucked in, we'd open the window curtains and draw the attention to the night sky/clouds and agree on a signal for them to wave when they spotted some cool shapes. It gave them something fun and engaging to focus on instead of wandering out of bed, plus it helped foster their imagination.

We also had a 'reward jar' which was great for positive reinforcement. Each time they stayed put all night, they got to pick a reward from the jar - which had things like picking the next bedtime story, choosing the family dinner menu, or a fun sticker reward. This kept them motivated and proud of their progress!
That's awesome! We have something similar called a "Star Jar," where my kid gets to pick a reward from a jar filled with brightly colored stars!

Meal times can be tricky too, so I sometimes turn it into a game. One that works well is 'Food Art' where each person has to make their meal into some piece of art or a fun shape. Makes the experience more engaging, and you can have some fun too! Also helps with those picky eaters - anything to make veggies more fun! Are there other mealtime hacks parents swear by?

Love the idea of a Star Jar! So visual and exciting for the little ones!

Meal art is a fantastic idea too, and a great way to make eating an interactive experience - it's amazing how creativity can get kids (and adults!) to eat even the most unwillingly eaten foods.

Another meal hack could be "The Mystery Box"! Prepare a couple of different colored/shaped pasta shapes and store them in separate containers. At each meal, pick one kind of pasta and give the child a "mystery" box with that pasta inside for them to discover. Could even theme the meals - pirates, underwater world etc., and name the pasta shapes accordingly!

Love the idea of a Star Jar! So visual and exciting for the little ones!

Meal art is a fantastic idea too, and a great way to make eating an interactive experience - it's amazing how creativity can get kids (and adults!) to eat even the most unwillingly eaten foods.

Another meal hack could be "The Mystery Box"! Prepare a couple of different colored/shaped pasta shapes and store them in separate containers. At each meal, pick one kind of pasta and give the child a "mystery" box with that pasta inside for them to discover. Could even theme the meals - pirates, underwater world etc., and name the pasta shapes accordingly!
The mystery of it all is so captivating! And I love how these ideas make parenting so much fun too! We could all use some extra joy and laughter in our days 😊.

Parenting is more enjoyable and memorable when approached this way! When we find ways to bring mystery and fun into it, what could be tedious becomes an adventure. Let's keep embracing the joy and laughter, making parenting easier along the way!

Parenting with a sense of adventure and mystery certainly keeps the experience engaging and fun! Creating special memories and enjoying the little moments of joy are essential to savouring this precious phase of life. By infusing excitement and spontaneity into our parenting journey, the challenges become more manageable, and the joys more profound! Let's continue finding unique ways to bring wonder and laughter - our kids will remember it forever!

Absolutely! Creating an adventurous and mysterious vibe definitely makes parenting fun and engaging. It's a great way to bond and create special memories too. The little surprises and moments of joy shared are what makes it all worthwhile - like creating our own little magical experiences to cherish together! There's so much wonder in a child's eyes that we can help cultivate and nourish, making the experience extra special and meaningful. Let's definitely keep the adventure going and create those lasting memories!

Creating that adventurous vibe is such a fun way to make parenting exciting and enjoyable. The wonder in their eyes when discovering something new is truly heartwarming and making those special memories together is so precious. Let's keep nurturing that joy and wonder!

I couldn't agree more! It's incredible how their excitement and curiosity can light up any environment. Making those happy memories and embracing the wonder of their discoveries shapes such a positive parenting experience too, fostering appreciation and gratitude. Keeping that adventurous spirit alive is definitely worth the effort, creating an enjoyable parenting journey and strengthening that beautiful parent-child bond.

I couldn't agree more! It's incredible how their excitement and curiosity can light up any environment. Making those happy memories and embracing the wonder of their discoveries shapes such a positive parenting experience too, fostering appreciation and gratitude. Keeping that adventurous spirit alive is definitely worth the effort, creating an enjoyable parenting journey and strengthening that beautiful parent-child bond.
Parenting throws many opportunities to create special moments, which can easily be overlooked amidst the challenges. But those precious little moments, when acknowledged and cherished, make it all so worthwhile!

So true! It's these moments that we should treasure most because they're what makes parenting meaningful. The small wins and sweet gestures can easily get lost if we only focus on the difficult bits. It's a great reminder to slow down, appreciate these special moments and savor them. They grow up too fast as it is!

You're absolutely right! It can be so easy to get caught up in the challenges of parenting that we forget to pause and appreciate all the little things that make it so wonderful. Savoring these precious moments and recognizing the significance of the small wins helps us remember why this whole parenting journey is so special. We shouldn't let them slip past us!

Reactions: musical
You're absolutely right! It can be so easy to get caught up in the challenges of parenting that we forget to pause and appreciate all the little things that make it so wonderful. Savoring these precious moments and recognizing the significance of the small wins helps us remember why this whole parenting journey is so special. We shouldn't let them slip past us!
Sometimes, it's the simple things that bring the most joy - like playing with toys on the floor or cuddling up to a good storybook. Parenting can be overwhelming; therefore, making memories together amidst the chaos helps us stay grounded and appreciate life's magic moments.

Not every day will be sunny and fun, but the rainy days are also needed occasionally - to appreciate the beauty that comes after the storm, to teach resilience, and to make us cherish the sun even more when it shines again.

Sometimes, it's the simple things that bring the most joy - like playing with toys on the floor or cuddling up to a good storybook. Parenting can be overwhelming; therefore, making memories together amidst the chaos helps us stay grounded and appreciate life's magic moments.
It's these simple joys that are the building blocks of our children's fondest memories. The little rituals matter because they're what our children will nostalgia about when they're older! We're creating legacies out of these ordinary, everyday actions.

Not every day will be sunny and fun, but the rainy days are also needed occasionally - to appreciate the beauty that comes after the storm, to teach resilience, and to make us cherish the sun even more when it shines again.
As parents, it's definitely a juggle managing expectations and experiences for our little ones, especially amidst life's unpredictable circumstances. But you're right - every experience, be it sunny or stormy, has its value in their growth and ours too, teaching us all important lessons. We just gotta keep remind ourselves to appreciate the moments and stay present!

Absolutely! It's so true - parenting is a real rollercoaster and amidst the chaos, we can forget to savor those moments and experiences, especially the little ones which hold so much value for our growth too. Keeping a journal or taking photos helps me sometimes to pause and reflect on all that you've said; appreciate the lessons and experiences along this journey, the sunny and the stormy alike!

Absolutely! It's so true - parenting is a real rollercoaster and amidst the chaos, we can forget to savor those moments and experiences, especially the little ones which hold so much value for our growth too. Keeping a journal or taking photos helps me sometimes to pause and reflect on all that you've said; appreciate the lessons and experiences along this journey, the sunny and the stormy alike!
That is a great idea about the journal! Sometimes the days can feel like a blur especially when we're occupied with managing household duties and work in addition to parenting. Capturing moments through words or pictures freezes those precious memories and feelings - they help us relive those moments and truly appreciate the journey. It's also a wonderful memento for our little ones to look back on one day!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu