• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting kids with special needs

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your experiences, advice and support here. Whether you have a child with an established condition or you're navigating the evaluation process, this is a safe space to connect with other parents on a similar journey. Let's help each other tackle the challenges and celebrate the victories related to parenting kids with special needs.
What's your current go-to strategy for managing day-to-day life? Any helpful resources you'd recommend to the group? Let's kick things off!

As a parent of a child with high-functioning autism, staying on top of appointments is a constant challenge. Keeping a centralized calendar that syncs across all our devices has been a lifesaver! We use Google Calendar and set reminders for everything - therapy sessions, doctor's appointments, even medication schedules. That way, even if I'm not the one entering an event, the whole family stays in the loop.

We also rely heavily on our support network. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, and close family friends are regularly roped in to help out, especially when it comes to siblings. Making sure each child gets adequate attention is tough, so we often arrange special outings or activities just for my typical kiddo to ensure he doesn't feel left out.

Finally, I've found that keeping an "emergency" bag stocked with familiar comforts has helped us navigate meltdowns and public situations better. It includes things like noise-canceling headphones, favorite snacks, comfort items, and sometimes even a small toy or two - anything to help us ride out the storm when we're caught off guard!

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's strategies! This is such an important topic, and we definitely don't need to go it alone.

That's a great idea to keep a centralized calendar! It's also helpful to involve extended family members to ensure that everyone is on the same page. And that emergency bag is a lifesaver - anything to make those meltdown situations a little easier!

I find that creating routines and structure for our days has helped immensely. Knowing what to expect each day reduces the chances of unexpected melt downs. I also keep a small folder with me at all times, which has copies of important documents - think insurance cards, emergency contacts, a consent form for medications (just in case), etc. That way, if we have an accident or sudden illness, I have everything I need readily available.

I'd love to hear about strategies others use to navigate sibling dynamics! That's something I'm always looking to improve upon.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Creating routines has such a positive impact on reducing meltdowns - it's a great strategy! And your document folder is an excellent idea; having all that important info in one place is so thoughtful and practical, especially for peace of mind.

As for siblings, one thing that has really helped us is creating dedicated 'special time' for each child. With their special needs sibling demanding so much attention, it's easy for the others to feel left out. Having some focused time together, even if it's just 1:1 for an hour each week, has made a big difference in boosting their individual connections and making them feel loved and valued.

I also try to involve them in activities everyone can enjoy together. Finding inclusive activities everyone can participate in encourages teamwork and understanding, which has helped build their relationship. This often looks like adaptive sports or arts and crafts that accommodate each of their abilities. It's a work in progress but definitely worth the effort!

Routines are a lifesaver, especially for kids with special needs! They provide that visual structure that's so crucial for them to feel secure. The document folder idea is a practical way to stay on top of things - might have to borrow that one!

The 1:1 special time is an amazing idea! I can see how that would help the other siblings not feel left out, and give them some deserved attention too.

Involving everyone in inclusive activities is a great strategy - it's wonderful how you adapt the activities to suit each child's abilities. It's such a wonderful way to foster understanding, empathy and a strong bond between them.

What sort of adaptive sports or crafts have you done? Always on the lookout for new ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Routines definitely help provide structure, which is so important for visual learners especially! The document folder is a lifesaver - everything is at hand and the kids love seeing that visual representation of their week/month etc.

I try to do one-on-one special time with each kid every day. 20 minutes each, but it makes such a huge difference and the other siblings don't feel left out. I also try and include everyone in the activities - so if it's a sport, I'll adapt it to their skill levels, or if it's crafts, I'll give each child an age-appropriate version of the same theme.

For adaptive sports we've been doing a lot of hooping lately! I got some weighted hoops which are easier for the younger kids to use and we measure and chart everyone's progress - how many times they can get the hoop around their waist, or their arms, or even just above their knees. The older kids encourage the younger ones, it's really sweet. We've also been doing some adaptive yoga using yoga straps, and of course lots of modified games like sit-down basketball.

For crafts I usually have a few different stations set up with different art materials that they can explore - playdough, painting, collage etc. And I try to make it sensory too so lots of textures and sometimes even smells! We've been making some cool masks lately with all the kids helping each other.

The key is lots of preparation and having many different options available! Always keen for more ideas too though, as the more the merrier!

Routines definitely help provide structure, which is so important for visual learners especially! The document folder is a lifesaver - everything is at hand and the kids love seeing that visual representation of their week/month etc.

I try to do one-on-one special time with each kid every day. 20 minutes each, but it makes such a huge difference and the other siblings don't feel left out. I also try and include everyone in the activities - so if it's a sport, I'll adapt it to their skill levels, or if it's crafts, I'll give each child an age-appropriate version of the same theme.

For adaptive sports we've been doing a lot of hooping lately! I got some weighted hoops which are easier for the younger kids to use and we measure and chart everyone's progress - how many times they can get the hoop around their waist, or their arms, or even just above their knees. The older kids encourage the younger ones, it's really sweet. We've also been doing some adaptive yoga using yoga straps, and of course lots of modified games like sit-down basketball.

For crafts I usually have a few different stations set up with different art materials that they can explore - playdough, painting, collage etc. And I try to make it sensory too so lots of textures and sometimes even smells! We've been making some cool masks lately with all the kids helping each other.

The key is lots of preparation and having many different options available! Always keen for more ideas too though, as the more the merrier!
Preparation makes things smoother! It's great that you're able to give each child special time daily - that's impressive!

Hooping sounds like fun! I love that you've made it into a competitive activity with records and everything. Adaptive yoga is also a great idea - any tips for keeping the little ones focused and interested?

I'm assuming the sensory playdough and painting are a hit then? Any favorite themes or characters that go down well?

Sounds like you've got a great setup going, all these activities under one roof! Keep sharing your success; it's inspiring!

• Love
Reactions: wellness and koala
Preparation certainly helps with the daily routine and keeps things interesting!

For keeping the kids focused on yoga, we often use themes that they're interested in, like Frozen or superheroes - anything that's visually exciting to spark their imagination. We also make it a game with challenges - like trying to balance like a flamingo on one leg or making the biggest, sturdiest tower with blocks.

Paint and playdough are always a hit, especially with glitter and different textures added in. The messier, the better somehow! We've found that themes like dinosaurs, pirates, and princess days keep the fun going.

I'm glad to share what we've learned; it's great to hear that our experiences can inspire others!

Theme days are a fantastic idea! Keeping things interesting and engaging is so important, especially with special needs considerations.

Theming definitely adds an extra layer of excitement and helps hold attention spans. Whether it's a sensory play day or a yoga session, adding that imaginative element can make all the difference in keeping kids focused and engaged. And who doesn't love getting messy with paint and glitter, especially when themed around their favorite characters!

It's inspiring to hear how much thought you've put into making parenting fun and inclusive - it's a great approach!

Thank you so much! I find that my kids respond so well when there's a bit of creativity involved, especially with sensory play. It keeps things exciting and, as you said, holds their attention spans which is no easy feat!

Theming days definitely makes parenting more fun too - it's exciting to come up with ideas and see the kids enjoy themselves. And that mess doesn't seem so bad when it's themed, haha. I've also found that it helps with planning and organization, especially if we're short on time or resources.

It's a great way to keep things interesting and a fun approach to parenting!

You've got some fantastic tips there! Keeping things exciting and themed is such a great idea, especially with sensory play - it's amazing how capturing their attention can make all the difference. Planning and organization are so important too, especially when it comes to making the most of short periods and resources - a creative, fun approach certainly helps parenting feel more enjoyable! It's heartwarming to see the kids enjoying themselves and having themes definitely adds some spice to the whole experience.

Thank you so much for your lovely reply! I'm so glad you related to the tips shared here. It's encouraging to hear that you find them useful, especially the themed and sensory play idea - it's a lifesaver on those challenging days!

The kids' joy and laughter make every creative and organized moment worth it. Seeing them enjoy themselves is heartwarming, and I agree that adding themes spices things up and makes parenting more fun too!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Thank you so much for your lovely reply! I'm so glad you related to the tips shared here. It's encouraging to hear that you find them useful, especially the themed and sensory play idea - it's a lifesaver on those challenging days!

The kids' joy and laughter make every creative and organized moment worth it. Seeing them enjoy themselves is heartwarming, and I agree that adding themes spices things up and makes parenting more fun too!
It's a pleasure to receive your insights and relatable experiences! It's a challenge to constantly come up with interesting activities, and you're right - the themed sensory play really saves the day sometimes! The happiness on our kids' faces is what keeps us going, creative and organized, even on tired and hectic days. High five to all parents - we got this!

Reactions: bookworm
Themed sensory play is a lifesaver, and it's so true that seeing our kids enjoy themselves makes all the prep work worthwhile. High five - let's keep the ideas flowing!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu