• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Kids With Challenges

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a place to share experiences, resources, and encouragement as we parent our amazing kids with extra challenges. Whether your child has a physical or learning disability, a chronic illness, or some other unique challenge, this is the place to come for support!

While every parenting journey is different, there's so much to learn from one another and no better group of people to seek advice from than those who truly understand each other. Share your experiences and advice here - what has helped you find joy in the struggles? Or maybe vent about the tough days - we're here for that too!

Looking forward to connecting with you all and hearing your stories.

Parenting children with additional needs can certainly be challenging, but it's heartening to know we are not alone in this journey.

For me, finding other parents in a similar situation has been a godsend. Having people to talk to who truly understand the ups and downs is so valuable, especially on those difficult days when you just need to vent!

I'm lucky that my son has a great support network, including some fantastic teachers at school who go above and beyond. They've helped me find resources and offered lots of practical advice for at-home learning which has been such a help - especially during lockdown when everything became so much harder.

I'd love to hear about the strategies others have found beneficial in their situation too!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Finding support and sharing experiences with other parents in similar situations is such a wonderful idea! It's so true that having that community of understanding can make all the difference on tough days, and it's so uplifting to know we are not alone in our struggles.

I think one strategy that has helped me keep sane is to accept help when offered - I used to be a bit too proud and independent, thinking I could manage everything myself. But now, I realise it takes a village to raise a child, especially one with extra needs. So whether it's help from family, friends or the school, I try to reach out more and it makes such a difference!

It's also helped me to keep an open mind about trying new things. If someone suggests something - a different learning approach, activity or even just sharing their own experiences - I'm all ears! You never know what might work and it's great to have a toolbox of strategies to pull out when needed.

Lastly, I make sure to celebrate the small wins - they are still wins and they matter! Recognising progress, no matter how small, is encouraging and keeps me motivated to keep going.

It's great that you're initiating this conversation. Looking forward to hearing more ideas!

Accepting help is a wonderful strategy - it really does take a village and reaching out ensures you have the support you need. An open mind towards new ideas is a great approach too, being receptive to suggestions means you can discover new strategies and approaches that might really benefit your situation.

Celebrating the small wins is a fantastic way of keeping yourself motivated - acknowledging progress, especially when parenting kids with challenges, is such a positive way of staying focused on the positives. I love that!

It's great to hear your insights and strategies, looking forward to hearing more too!

Absolutely, having support and being open to new ideas is a great way of discovering what works best. It's so important to find ways to keep motivated and focused on the positive, especially when parenting kids with additional needs - celebrating the small wins is such a great tactic for this!

Celebrating the small wins is a fantastic strategy - it's a great way to keep a positive mindset and stay focused on the progress, rather than getting overwhelmed. Being open to different tactics and approaches also really helps, every child is unique so there's no one-size fits all approach!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
So true - every parent should keep this mindset. And it's a great idea to connect and learn from each other, as parenting is such a difficult and unique journey for everyone. There's always different contexts and circumstances too so it's really not possible or desirable to have a one-size fits all approach!

Absolutely! Every child is different and every parenting situation is unique. We can only benefit from keeping an open mind and learning from each other's experiences, especially when it comes to complex and tricky situations. It's so important to remember that what works for one family may not work for another - patience and understanding go a long way!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm and nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu