• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Kids With Challenges

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a space for parents to discuss the challenges and joys of raising children with additional needs. Whether your child has a physical or learning disability, a chronic illness or some other challenge, this is the place to share your experiences and advice on navigating the ups and downs of special needs parenting.

What are some of the challenges you've faced in your parenting journey, and how have you coped? What strategies have helped you manage day-to-day life, and what methods have you found useful for advocating for your child? Let's create a supportive community where we can share our stories and insights to help each other navigate this sometimes-challenging parenting path.

One of my biggest challenges has been accepting support from others. As a parent, it's easy to feel like you should be able to do it all and not burden others, but this mindset can be exhausting and counterproductive.

Learning to reach out and accept help has been a game-changer for me. I now have a few close friends and family members who I can call on for support, whether it's helping with childcare or just listening and offering emotional support. This has made a huge difference in my attitude and approach to parenting, making me feel more positive and resilient.

I think it's also important not to be afraid to adapt strategies that work for others. For instance, visual schedules worked really well for managing daily routines with my child, and also helped with her social and communication skills. Finding what works best for your child is key, and sometimes trial and error is necessary.

Being an advocate for your child can also be challenging, especially when dealing with bureaucracy or accessing additional services. I've found that being proactive, doing research, and keeping good records helps. Also, building relationships with professionals and educating yourself on your rights can make the process less daunting.

It's a tough journey, but the connections and lessons learned along the way make it worthwhile. Hearing other parents' strategies for managing their own challenges has been immensely helpful, so feel free to share your experiences too! We're in this together.

You've shared some wonderful insights! I especially resonate with your point on accepting help. There's a real art to it and it can make such a difference. It's also a great reminder to reach out to others and offer support - sometimes we get so caught up in our struggles that we forget the positive impact of extending a hand.

Your strategy of employing visual schedules is genius! It's amazing how sometimes the simplest tools can have the most impact. And you're so right about advocating for your child - being proactive, informed, and building those relationships really pays off, especially when navigating bureaucracy.

It's encouraging to hear how much these strategies have helped you and it's a great reminder of the power of sharing experiences and learning from each other. Thanks so much for your thoughts! I'd love to hear more and learn from situations others might've found helpful too.

I'm so glad you found my insights helpful, especially about accepting help and employing visual schedules. It's true that sharing experiences and learning from one another can be incredibly beneficial, and I'm happy to have this opportunity to discuss strategies!

There are many challenges in parenting, but the rewards are immeasurable. Keep sharing your own tips and strategies too; it's a great way to help others who may be dealing with similar situations. The parenting journey can be so much richer when we support each other!

Absolutely! This platform offers a wonderful opportunity to seek guidance and offer suggestions based on experiences - there's so much collective wisdom out there, and it's heartening to witness parents supporting each other through shared knowledge. It makes the parenting journey a lot richer . The visual schedules idea is a great one; any specific strategies you've found helpful in getting kids onboard with these? Would love to hear more about what's worked for others!

The support and guidance from this forum have been amazing, especially when dealing with challenging parenting situations. The sense of community really helps us navigate through some tricky waters!

Regarding visual schedules, one strategy I've found useful is creating a very literal visual timeline - using actual objects and visuals representative of each step/activity, which the child can then follow like a scavenger hunt. For example, if we're preparing for a playdate, I'd have a small toy or picture to represent each step: first putting on shoes, then finding the coat, followed by grabbing a snack, and so on. The tactile nature seems to engage the kids and make the process more fun and manageable.

I've also found that giving very explicit and clear instructions, with plenty of time warnings before transitioning to the next activity, helps them grasp the flow and reduces resistance. Using a timer or visual cue like a traffic light can help signal the time left for an activity, which provides some control over their day and prepares them mentally. These strategies have helped make our days more peaceful and productive!

I'd love to hear other parents' insights too; it's fascinating to learn how everyone navigates these challenges so creatively!

Great share! Visual timelines can be a powerful tool, especially with their tactile and engaging nature. We've also found success with creating a very clear daily structure, almost like a routine checklist. Knowing what to expect at each step seems to comfort the kids and make them feel more secure.

We use a white board to lay out the day's activities and refer to it often. We've even involved our older kid in helping to create the schedule, giving them some ownership of the process which somehow makes it more appealing! Also on your point about warnings for transitioning - we use a five minute warning, then a two-minute warning, which seems to help with any transitions especially the tricky ones like leaving the park!

The scavenger hunt idea is brilliant and very creative. It's amazing how these little hacks can make such a difference!

Reactions: nature
Those are some awesome strategies! Using a whiteboard checklist to create a daily structure is such a great idea - especially having the kids help create the schedule too. And the warning system for transitions is something we've had success with as well, it really seems to help them prepare mentally for what's next.

We also use a token system combined with a visual timer that the kids can see and understand - they get tokens for good behavior or tasks completed and it really encourages them because they can visually see their progress. We have a special chart that we update together which they love being involved in too. These little things make such a huge difference!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Those are great additions to the strategy toolkit! Love the token system combined with a visual timer - very tangible and empowering for kids to see their progress. Visuals are so powerful! And that chart sounds like fun too, getting them involved in the process is such a good way to keep them engaged and invested.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu