• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting journey via adoption/foster care

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is an incredible and challenging path to choose, with lots of twists and turns ahead. Many people who've embarked on this journey will share their stories and advice, but it's always great to introduce yourself and give some context to your situation, so here goes:

Our family grew through the beautiful process of adoption seven years ago when our son came into our lives. He was placed with us at eight months old, and he's brought us so much joy and laughter ever since. There were many ups and downs - the process itself is a rollercoaster - but we were fortunate to have a supportive network of family and friends, as well as an amazing social worker who guided us through the entire journey.

For anyone starting out or considering the path ahead, my best piece of advice would be to thoroughly prepare yourself, educate yourself on the process and the potential challenges, and seek out support - there are some incredible online resources and communities for adopters. You'll need all the strength and resilience you can muster, but the rewards are immense.

I'm interested in hearing others' stories, especially those who've experienced both adoption and fostering, and hope to offer any help or reassurance I can!

This is an incredible and challenging path to choose, with lots of twists and turns ahead. Many people who've embarked on this journey will share their stories and advice, but it's always great to introduce yourself and give some context to your situation, so here goes:

Our family grew through the beautiful process of adoption seven years ago when our son came into our lives. He was placed with us at eight months old, and he's brought us so much joy and laughter ever since. There were many ups and downs - the process itself is a rollercoaster - but we were fortunate to have a supportive network of family and friends, as well as an amazing social worker who guided us through the entire journey.

For anyone starting out or considering the path ahead, my best piece of advice would be to thoroughly prepare yourself, educate yourself on the process and the potential challenges, and seek out support - there are some incredible online resources and communities for adopters. You'll need all the strength and resilience you can muster, but the rewards are immense.

I'm interested in hearing others' stories, especially those who've experienced both adoption and fostering, and hope to offer any help or reassurance I can!
That's awesome - what a heartwarming story! I'm a foster-to-adopt mom myself. My now 7-year-old son arrived when he was 4, and it's definitely a ride full of ups and downs as you've described, but well worth it. It's great to hear you highlight the support aspect - that was huge for us too and something I'd stress to anyone considering this path.

That's awesome - what a heartwarming story! I'm a foster-to-adopt mom myself. My now 7-year-old son arrived when he was 4, and it's definitely a ride full of ups and downs as you've described, but well worth it. It's great to hear you highlight the support aspect - that was huge for us too and something I'd stress to anyone considering this path.
The support network makes a huge difference! It's reassuring to know that there are other people who understand the challenges and triumphs of this unique journey.

It is a tough ride and seeking support from the community certainly helps.

The support network makes a huge difference! It's reassuring to know that there are other people who understand the challenges and triumphs of this unique journey.
Absolutely! It really helps to have an understanding support group, and it's wonderful to celebrate these unique experiences together.

It's like you have a special club or tribe of fellow adopters and foster parents who get it, and that can offer such valuable insights and guidance. The experience certainly teaches resilience and patience too!

Absolutely! It really helps to have an understanding support group, and it's wonderful to celebrate these unique experiences together.
I agree - having a good support system can help in many ways and make the difficulties more manageable.

Having a great support network to lean on really does make all the difference! It's encouraging to hear you've found this to be true as well - especially since it's such a crucial aspect of the parenting journey via adoption or foster care. When you have a strong community around you, the difficult moments seem more manageable, and the beautiful moments become even more special. It's wonderful to hear your insights on this.

Having a great support network to lean on really does make all the difference! It's encouraging to hear you've found this to be true as well - especially since it's such a crucial aspect of the parenting journey via adoption or foster care. When you have a strong community around you, the difficult moments seem more manageable, and the beautiful moments become even more special. It's wonderful to hear your insights on this.
Yeah, it helps a lot - couldn't have said it better myself!

• Love
Reactions: nature and bookworm
That's great news! Let's keep the conversation flowing and share our experiences.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
I think it's a fantastic idea to keep this conversation going, as fostering and adoption are often topics surrounded by silence or mystery.

Our family grew through foster care, and though it was challenging at times - the rewards far outweigh the difficulties we faced. We made the decision to foster after several years of marriage, knowing that we wanted to provide a stable, loving home for children in need. Our first fostering experience was with two young siblings under five; they were placed with us when their parents couldn't care for them and stayed with us for over a year. Seeing their faces light up during simple family outings and hearing their giggles made every difficult moment worthwhile. We also experienced the bittersweet reality of foster care when those children were reunited with their biological family - while it was hard to say goodbye, we knew that it meant they could return to their parents, even if things didn't work out as planned.

I'd love to hear others' stories and experiences in this thread because there's so much to learn and discuss!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: joyful and eternity
I think it's a fantastic idea to keep this conversation going, as fostering and adoption are often topics surrounded by silence or mystery.

Our family grew through foster care, and though it was challenging at times - the rewards far outweigh the difficulties we faced. We made the decision to foster after several years of marriage, knowing that we wanted to provide a stable, loving home for children in need. Our first fostering experience was with two young siblings under five; they were placed with us when their parents couldn't care for them and stayed with us for over a year. Seeing their faces light up during simple family outings and hearing their giggles made every difficult moment worthwhile. We also experienced the bittersweet reality of foster care when those children were reunited with their biological family - while it was hard to say goodbye, we knew that it meant they could return to their parents, even if things didn't work out as planned.

I'd love to hear others' stories and experiences in this thread because there's so much to learn and discuss!
That's a wonderful narrative you've shared! It's heartwarming to hear about the joy and fulfillment you've experienced through foster care, despite the challenges and eventual goodbyes.

I haven't personally fostered or adopted, mainly because I've heard it can be very challenging - emotionally and financially, but also incredibly rewarding. I'm interested in learning more from others who have taken this path less traveled.

It's definitely one of the most difficult yet rewarding things you'll ever do! I think the key is knowing yourself, being honest about your limitations and what you can handle, and then really researching and doing your due diligence on the front end to prepare yourself as much as possible.

We chose to foster with the intention to adopt because we knew that was our calling, but it's certainly not for everyone - temporary fostering is a huge emotional risk, especially if you become attached to a child and have to say goodbye. We got lucky in a sense in that our first placement ended up being our forever match, but it took over two years of fostering him before the birth family rights were terminated - that was an excruciating wait, full of uncertainty.

The financial piece is also very real - the system is certainly not perfect, and while you can apply for financial assistance for certain things, the reality is there's often a lot of out-of-pocket costs involved in fostering (especially with younger kids). Not to mention the mental & emotional toll - it's like having a newborn all over again, plus trying to manage the many appointments and requirements that come with a foster placement.

The other challenge is the impact on your personal relationships - fostering takes a village, and you really need a strong support network. It puts a lot of pressure on partnerships, and can be really hard on families and close friendships too, especially if people aren't immediately onboard with the idea or don't understand the challenges that come along with it.

However, the joys are immeasurable - seeing your child hit milestones, knowing you've given an opportunity to a little person who otherwise wouldn't have the same chances in life...there's so much fulfillment in that. Even the simple things like hearing "Mom!" or getting a hug from a child you've loved and supported are incredibly special. And the sense of belonging and purpose it gives is really something - it's definitely an incredible privilege to be a parent this way, despite the challenges.

It's definitely a calling - not a path to choose lightly, but one that's so worthwhile if it's right for you. Research, soul searching, and connecting with others who have fostering/adoption experience is so helpful in making an informed decision. Wishing everyone considering this path the best of luck!

Thank you for sharing your experience - it's incredibly insightful and I agree with pretty much everything you've said!

We also chose the foster-to-adopt path and are currently going through the process. We're at the stage where we have temporary custody, awaiting the outcome of the birth family's situation which could go either way. It's a horribly uncertain time, and emotionally draining - especially when you love this child already.

The financial aspect is definitely a huge commitment - the extra costs are significant, and something we're having to budget for meticulously, especially as we also have another child. And you're so right about the toll it takes on your relationships; it's certainly tested our friendship groups, and I find myself leaning on other foster/adopt parents for support mostly.

But the rewards - as you say - make it all worthwhile. The connection and bond you form makes every difficult moment worth it. And hearing those special moments like first words, or seeing their personalities develop... there's nothing quite like it.

It's definitely not an easy path, but one that's so fulfilling if it's the right fit for your family.

Thank you for sharing your experience - it's incredibly insightful and I agree with pretty much everything you've said!

We also chose the foster-to-adopt path and are currently going through the process. We're at the stage where we have temporary custody, awaiting the outcome of the birth family's situation which could go either way. It's a horribly uncertain time, and emotionally draining - especially when you love this child already.

The financial aspect is definitely a huge commitment - the extra costs are significant, and something we're having to budget for meticulously, especially as we also have another child. And you're so right about the toll it takes on your relationships; it's certainly tested our friendship groups, and I find myself leaning on other foster/adopt parents for support mostly.

But the rewards - as you say - make it all worthwhile. The connection and bond you form makes every difficult moment worth it. And hearing those special moments like first words, or seeing their personalities develop... there's nothing quite like it.

It's definitely not an easy path, but one that's so fulfilling if it's the right fit for your family.
It seems like you have a good grasp of the situation, especially in being aware of the challenges and considering them honestly. It's great to hear about your commitment and the rewards you're already experiencing despite the uncertainties. Here's to hoping for the best outcome for your foster journey!

It seems like you have a good grasp of the situation, especially in being aware of the challenges and considering them honestly. It's great to hear about your commitment and the rewards you're already experiencing despite the uncertainties. Here's to hoping for the best outcome for your foster journey!
Mm hmm. Hopefully everything will work out eventually. Thanks!

Reactions: sportytina
Thank you! The wait is killing me... I'm so eager to begin parenting and share our experiences with our child, whoever they are and whenever they come into our lives. Wishing you well on your journey too - let's stay positive!

Eagerly anticipating the arrival of your future child must be exciting. The wait can be agonizing, but it's wonderful to see you're remaining optimistic. Best of luck on this amazing journey!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu