• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Insights

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your insights, tips and stories from your parenting journey here!

What's that one thing you've learned being a parent that you wish someone had told you? Or an unexpected challenge you faced and managed to overcome? Let's create a helpful thread for soon-to-be parents navigating the exciting (and sometimes daunting) world of raising little ones.

Reactions: queenie

What's that one thing you've learned being a parent that you wish someone had told you? Or an unexpected challenge you faced and managed to overcome? Let's create a helpful thread for soon-to-be parents navigating the exciting (and sometimes daunting) world of raising little ones.
Parenting can be really unpredictable most of the time. One thing that being a parent has taught me is resilience and the ability to adapt because you're always facing new challenges as your children grow up - especially when they hit their teens and start developing their own personalities and opinions.

I wish someone had prepared me for the emotional rollercoaster of it all: the highs of seeing your children accomplish something and the lows of dealing with tantrums or defiant behavior. It's really a full-time job! You need to stay mentally strong and adaptable because what works today might not work tomorrow.

Another challenge was managing my own expectations versus reality, especially in those first few months of motherhood. I think many new parents can relate to the sense of being overwhelmed and questioning if they're doing things right, that feeling of Imposter Syndrome. But here's the thing: no one really knows what they're doing, we're all just winging it and learning on the job! You'll make mistakes, and that's okay because tomorrow's a new day.

Staying patient and keeping my cool when my kids have meltdowns or behave badly has been a hard but important skill to learn; it's something I'm still working on! Finding ways to keep my sanity amidst the chaos has been key, for example, finding time for myself or seeking help when needed instead of trying to be a superhero.

Remember, every child is different, and what works for one might not work for another. As parents, we have to stay attuned to our children's unique personalities and needs, which can be quite a challenge especially if you've got more than one kid!

As a mom, one of the most challenging aspects for me was dealing with the guilt of prioritizing work and personal interests while raising a child. That relentless feeling of not doing enough for my son and neglecting him in some ways because of other commitments. Then I realized every form of compromise and arrangement in parenting has its consequences; it's impossible to be perfect in this aspect. Eventually, I came to appreciate the importance of role modeling. Showing my son it's possible to pursue your dreams and passions while also being a committed parent, even if you're not physically together 24/7. That revelation helped ease some guilt and reminded me of the importance of focusing on my own well-being so that I can be present and energized as a mom.

Parenting can be really unpredictable most of the time. One thing that being a parent has taught me is resilience and the ability to adapt because you're always facing new challenges as your children grow up - especially when they hit their teens and start developing their own personalities and opinions.

I wish someone had prepared me for the emotional rollercoaster of it all: the highs of seeing your children accomplish something and the lows of dealing with tantrums or defiant behavior. It's really a full-time job! You need to stay mentally strong and adaptable because what works today might not work tomorrow.

Another challenge was managing my own expectations versus reality, especially in those first few months of motherhood. I think many new parents can relate to the sense of being overwhelmed and questioning if they're doing things right, that feeling of Imposter Syndrome. But here's the thing: no one really knows what they're doing, we're all just winging it and learning on the job! You'll make mistakes, and that's okay because tomorrow's a new day.

Staying patient and keeping my cool when my kids have meltdowns or behave badly has been a hard but important skill to learn; it's something I'm still working on! Finding ways to keep my sanity amidst the chaos has been key, for example, finding time for myself or seeking help when needed instead of trying to be a superhero.

Remember, every child is different, and what works for one might not work for another. As parents, we have to stay attuned to our children's unique personalities and needs, which can be quite a challenge especially if you've got more than one kid!
You're very right about the emotional rollercoaster that comes with parenting! The joys and challenges can be overwhelming, and no two days are the same.

I'd add that it's also important to manage your kids' expectations too, besides your own. Because kids are so malleable and impressionable, their desires and demands can grow unrestrained if untreated. Teaching them young about reality checks and managing disappointments is crucial, so they don't end up entitled or disappointed when things don't go their way (which is a normal occurrence in life!)

Also, as you mentioned, having more than one child doubles, triples, or even quadruples the fun... and the work and challenges! Parenting becomes a delicate balancing act of treating each child fairly but also individually, which can be tough when dealing with different personalities and stages of development.

What's everyone's strategies for keeping sane while managing multiple kids' needs? Any insights on navigating these situations would be great! I'm sure many parents would appreciate the tips!

Reactions: cissy and travelmum

Yes, being adaptable is a huge part of parenting I feel, because every stage comes with different challenges and what worked previously might not work now. Keeping up with the ever-changing demands of each new stage is tiresome but luckily, there's satisfaction in that too - when you see your child grow and develop with every new challenge overcome!

Resilience is definitely honed through parenting, I agree! You never know how much mental fortitude it takes being a parent until you're in the thick of it. It's comforting to know that we're all figuring it out together, winging it and learning along the way - Imposter Syndrome is so real! Haha.

You're very right about the emotional rollercoaster that comes with parenting! The joys and challenges can be overwhelming, and no two days are the same.

I'd add that it's also important to manage your kids' expectations too, besides your own. Because kids are so malleable and impressionable, their desires and demands can grow unrestrained if untreated. Teaching them young about reality checks and managing disappointments is crucial, so they don't end up entitled or disappointed when things don't go their way (which is a normal occurrence in life!)

Also, as you mentioned, having more than one child doubles, triples, or even quadruples the fun... and the work and challenges! Parenting becomes a delicate balancing act of treating each child fairly but also individually, which can be tough when dealing with different personalities and stages of development.

What's everyone's strategies for keeping sane while managing multiple kids' needs? Any insights on navigating these situations would be great! I'm sure many parents would appreciate the tips!
You are spot on about managing children's expectations besides our own! It is a constant work in progress, especially so when society has such high expectations of children achieving perfection in all aspects.

Teaching them the concept of delayed gratification and explaining why they can't always have what they want helps with their disappointment management, although it is an ongoing process. Being transparent about their siblings' or friends' situations, highlighting how different people have different experiences also help prepare them for the reality that life isn't always fair but emphasizing our effort in treating them equitably.

Another tricky situation I often face is balancing my children's extracurricular activities and social calendar as they grow older and make more friends. Managing their schedules, ensuring sufficient down-time, and preventing burnout is a challenge with the amount of classes and playdates back-to-back. I try to instill the importance of rest and family time, negotiating and compromising on what activities they truly desire versus peer pressure and keeping up with others.

I'm interested in hearing others' experiences too! It'd be great to learn strategies on handling these situations without feeling too stretched thin or guilty! After all, we want our children to grow surrounded by love, not a chaotic flurry of activities.

Yes, being adaptable is a huge part of parenting I feel, because every stage comes with different challenges and what worked previously might not work now. Keeping up with the ever-changing demands of each new stage is tiresome but luckily, there's satisfaction in that too - when you see your child grow and develop with every new challenge overcome!

Resilience is definitely honed through parenting, I agree! You never know how much mental fortitude it takes being a parent until you're in the thick of it. It's comforting to know that we're all figuring it out together, winging it and learning along the way - Imposter Syndrome is so real! Haha.
As for managing the chaos and keeping our sanity: self-care is SO important - whether it's a quick walk, a gym session, time for reading or just an hour to yourself to recharge, we should remember not to lose our own identities amidst this challenging yet rewarding job of parenting. Also, setting realistic expectations for ourselves as parents can help with the guilt and pressure - it's okay to seek help and ask for support from our own support networks! We don't have to do it all!

As for keeping sane amidst the chaos, I'd say it's crucial to teach your children to entertain themselves from a young age. Independence and self-entertainment are the keywords here! Also, having activities that the whole family can do together but which can also be adjusted for individual interests helps. Something like cycling comes to mind - you can plan a family outing together, but everyone can ride at their own pace and distance according to age and skill level. Similarly, chipping in to help each other out without being asked is another invaluable household skill to cultivate!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu