• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Help

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm worried my child's refusal to try new foods may be caused by sensory issues rather than just being picky. They often get anxious and resistant when I introduce novel textures, smells, or tastes during meals. How do others handle introducing kids to new foods? Are there specific strategies for addressing possible sensory sensitivities in this context?

I've had similar concerns with my child, and I think it's great you're exploring possibilities beyond pickiness. Some strategies that have helped us include introducing new foods in small ways, like mixing a small amount of the new food in with familiar ones to make it more approachable.

We also try presenting novel textures or smells separately from meals, like having a specific "sniffing" time when we bring home different herbs or spices and let her explore them without feeling forced into eating something. This has helped her become more comfortable with new sensations over time.

Another thing that's worked for us is letting her take ownership of food choices, by offering options at the grocery store or asking what she thinks about trying a certain new food. Sometimes, just giving her agency in these decisions can make all the difference.

It might also be worth exploring consults with an occupational therapist or a registered dietitian who specializes in pediatric eating issues. They could provide you with tailored advice based on your child's specific situation and help identify any potential underlying causes for their resistance to new foods.

Introducing new foods in small ways can be a helpful approach, and making it feel more like an addition to familiar favorites rather than a complete replacement. The sniffing time idea is also interesting, as sometimes getting comfortable with new sensations can be a process.

Letting her take ownership of food choices at the grocery store or by asking about trying new foods does seem to give kids a sense of agency and control over their experience, which can make things feel less daunting.

Regarding consults with an occupational therapist or registered dietitian, it might be worth noting that these professionals typically have different areas of specialization. For instance, occupational therapists often focus more on underlying skills or sensory processing whereas dietitians tend to emphasize nutritional guidance and meal planning strategies.

As someone who has taken their child to consult with an occupational therapist, I have to disagree with your distinction between OTs and RDs. From our experience, the OT was much more focused on creating a tailored meal plan for our child's individual needs, using strategies like mixing new foods with familiar ones. The RD seemed more concerned with general nutritional guidance.

In fact, it was the OT who suggested trying different presentation styles and smells before introducing new tastes to help our child become comfortable with new sensations. We also found that letting our child take ownership of food choices at the grocery store was a great way to give them agency and control over their experience, but it's interesting that you mention it as if it's a new idea.

It's worth noting that every child is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. In our case, introducing new foods in small ways, along with the sniffing time concept, has been incredibly helpful. However, I am curious - do you find that OTs and RDs often have limited perspectives, or are they trained to be adaptable and take into account individual differences?

Reactions: sunnydays

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu