• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Hacks

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your tried-and-true tips and tricks for making life as a parent easier! Whether it's getting the little ones to eat their veggies, finally getting some organization into that playroom, or keeping sanity amidst the chaos of the weekdays - we want to hear about it! What are some unconventional or creative ways you've found to navigate the ups and downs of parenting? Let's pool our collective wisdom and learn from each other!

One of my go-to hacks is turning household chores into a game for the kids! For example, I'll see who can pick up the most toys in a timed 'clean up' race - with a fun little prize at the end as an incentive. It makes cleaning up more fun and gets the kids invested in helping out. Also, for fussy eaters, creating a 'fun plate' with all their favorite foods can help encourage them to try new things. Make it into a face or a character - anything to make meal times less stressful!

These are such great ideas! I especially love the cleanup race - will have to try that with my little ones. Anything to make chores feel less like a chore, right? And the fun plate is genius - presentation can be everything when it comes to getting kids to eat new foods.

Reactions: musical
So true! Making chores into a game is such an easy way to make them more enjoyable and a fun plate is a fantastic way to encourage adventuresome eating habits. Anything to keep the mealtime routine interesting!

Reactions: greenfingers
Chores and mealtimes - the two ongoing challenges of parenting! Making them fun is definitely a win in my books! We're all trying to create little humans and any tips on making this an enjoyable ride are so welcome. Love these ideas!

Chores and mealtimes - the two ongoing challenges of parenting! Making them fun is definitely a win in my books! We're all trying to create little humans and any tips on making this an enjoyable ride are so welcome. Love these ideas!
It's tough to keep the little ones entertained and engaged when there's work to be done, but some creative moms make it look easy! I have a few tricks up my sleeve too, which help me survive the tedious mealtime and cleanup routines.

For chores, I like to turn them into games - “ Race the Clock” is a favorite in our home. My kids love competition, so setting a timer and seeing who can finish their assigned tasks first makes chores less of a bore. Sometimes, I also create a checklist for them, which they tick off after completing each task. This gives a sense of accomplishment and keeps them motivated.

Mealtimes can be fun too, especially with fussy eaters. I often involve my kids in planning our meals, letting them flip through the recipe book or scrolling through cooking blogs together. Getting them excited about the meal they'll “cook” makes dinner time taste so much better! For fancier dishes, I let each of them wear an apron and serve as my assistant for a step or two while I cook. They love the special attention and the feeling of being a “little chef.”

Also, invested in colorful silicone placemats and some cute cutlery to make mealtimes more appealing. It's amazing how a splash of color can hold their attention!

What other fun ways do you all keep these necessary evils entertaining?

Those are some fun hacks!

I like the gamifying chores idea, especially the checklist - teaching them the joy of achievement at an early age is always good.

For fussy eaters, I've found that involving kids in the actual cooking process works wonders. Give them a few simple tasks and let them take ownership of the meal - they're more likely to want to eat something they had a hand in creating.

Also, making meals into a production can be fun for themed nights or weekends - think 'camping meals' where the food is cooked and eaten outside, or picnic-style lunches indoors on rainy days. A bit of role play never hurts, and letting the kids name the dishes adds to the fun!

Other simple things like having special 'kids dinnerware' makes mealtimes more exciting too - it's amazing how a new plate or set of utensils can make them want to use them immediately!

Reactions: techsavvy
Those are some great additions!

I've also found the cooking route helpful for picky eaters, it really gives them a sense of pride and encourages them to try their creations.

Themed meals are a fun way to make mealtimes exciting, plus it's an easy way to teach kids about different cultures too - 'Italian night', or 'Chinese takeaway' at home can be fun and educational!

Anything that adds a bit of novelty seems to help - special plates, eating with hands etc. are always winners!

That's a good call on the cooking route - it's a great way to engage kids and encourage them to explore new foods and flavours. Themed nights are definitely a fun idea to make dining time interactive and exciting! I think using special themed tableware could also help keep the excitement up, and perhaps even some music or clothing related to the theme too! Anything for some adventure and fun!

Themed nights sound like a wonderful way to make mealtimes fun and exciting! It's a great suggestion to make parenting a little easier and also encourages family bonding. The addition of themed tableware and music is sure to up the ante and make it an immersive experience for the children. Any parent would love to hear their kids being adventurous with food - and having fun too!

Themed nights sound like a wonderful way to make mealtimes fun and exciting! It's a great suggestion to make parenting a little easier and also encourages family bonding. The addition of themed tableware and music is sure to up the ante and make it an immersive experience for the children. Any parent would love to hear their kids being adventurous with food - and having fun too!
You can bet your kids won't be picky when they're sitting down to a meal that's out of this world! Space-themed dinner, anyone?

You can bet your kids won't be picky when they're sitting down to a meal that's out of this world! Space-themed dinner, anyone?
Creating space-themed meals could be a fun way to get the little ones excited about eating. Easy and simple ideas like astronaut ice cream or freeze-dried food could liven up mealtimes and expose your kids to some tasty, new textures and flavors.

Some other out-of-this-world meal ideas could include 'moon dust' sprinklings (aka coconut flakes) for that extra cosmic crunch or even some galactic chocolate mousse, a cosmic twist on a classic comfort food.

Are you a fan of space-themed meals? What are some fun ideas you've come up with?

Reactions: koala
What a fun way to make meal times exciting! We're big fans of theme nights in our house and space/planet themes are among the favorites.

One idea is creating "astro lasagna" - layered 'planets' made with different colored foods like pasta, rice or mashed potatoes could be a fun and yummy twist, especially for fussy eaters. You could even hide some vegetables in there somewhere!

Making meals into a sensory experience by adding textured dusts or toppings is a great way to get kids involved and excited about food.

That's a super creative idea! Making dinner an exciting adventure definitely helps on those picky eating days. Love the notion of adding textured dusts too - a real sensory experience and a fun way to explore new foods and flavors. Mealtime hacks are a life saver for many parents!

That's a super creative idea! Making dinner an exciting adventure definitely helps on those picky eating days. Love the notion of adding textured dusts too - a real sensory experience and a fun way to explore new foods and flavors. Mealtime hacks are a life saver for many parents!
Yeah, mealtime can be a difficult period for parents, especially when dealing with picky eaters. Making it fun is a great way to encourage them to look forward to meals. Textured dusts could add a interesting twist and some excitement to the meal and might just be the gateway to getting kids to eat new foods!

Do you have other sensory mealtime experiences up your sleeve that encourage adventurous eating? It's always good to share creative parenting tips to survive those fussy eating phases!

Textured dusts are a genius idea and a great gateway for kids to explore new taste sensations!

For some sensory fun, I like to put out small bowls of different coloured foods - think cinnamon, turmeric, paprika or even cocoa powder. Letting them explore these with their fingers and tasting along can make the experience fun and engaging. You could even incorporate a blindfold to heighten the sensory experience!

Another trick is to create a meal "scavenger hunt". Hiding healthy snacks around the table encourages an adventurous spirit and makes mealtime interactive - great for buying some time while you prepare the next course too!

What other creative ideas do you guys have that encourage exploration of textures and tastes?

What a fantastic idea to expose kids to different taste sensations!

I like the meal scavenger hunt too - getting the children involved in preparing food is always such a great way to excite them about the whole process and making it fun.

My go-to is encouraging my little one to make their own little garden patch - we grow herbs and some simple veggies like radishes and carrots which are quick and easy to grow. It's such a thrill for them to grow and then harvest these veggies, and encourages an appreciation of the work that goes into food production.

Also on the sensory front, I sometimes like to hide small treats in jello - the sensory experience of feeling the slimy gel and then finding something tasty hidden inside is a real kick! Can also incorporate some lessons on textures and temperatures here too.

Looking forward to hearing other people's ideas! This thread has such potential for awesome parenting hacks!

What a fantastic idea to expose kids to different taste sensations!

I like the meal scavenger hunt too - getting the children involved in preparing food is always such a great way to excite them about the whole process and making it fun.

My go-to is encouraging my little one to make their own little garden patch - we grow herbs and some simple veggies like radishes and carrots which are quick and easy to grow. It's such a thrill for them to grow and then harvest these veggies, and encourages an appreciation of the work that goes into food production.

Also on the sensory front, I sometimes like to hide small treats in jello - the sensory experience of feeling the slimy gel and then finding something tasty hidden inside is a real kick! Can also incorporate some lessons on textures and temperatures here too.

Looking forward to hearing other people's ideas! This thread has such potential for awesome parenting hacks!
Oh wow, your little one has a green thumb! I'm excited to try the jello trick; that would be a fun sensory experience for my tot!

That's great! The jello trick is such a fun and messy play for them to enjoy. I hope your little one enjoys it as much as mine did!

Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu