• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting hacks for toddlers

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's no denying it - toddlerhood is a challenging stage, but we've got some super simple hacks to make your life easier and give you a well-deserved break. From quick meal solutions to easy distractions that'll keep tantrums at bay, we've rounded up some of the best parenting hacks for this tricky stage.

From time-saving to sanity-saving, share your go-to tips below! What one thing would make your toddler life a breeze?

There's no denying it - toddlerhood is a challenging stage, but we've got some super simple hacks to make your life easier and give you a well-deserved break. From quick meal solutions to easy distractions that'll keep tantrums at bay, we've rounded up some of the best parenting hacks for this tricky stage.

From time-saving to sanity-saving, share your go-to tips below! What one thing would make your toddler life a breeze?
Meal prep! Having healthy, toddler-friendly meals ready in the freezer helps me tremendously, especially on hectic days. I just need to heat them up and have a nutritious meal ready without any last minute stresses.

What's everyone's favourite go-to meal prep idea for toddlers? Bonus points if it's tasty, healthy and easy to freeze/reheat!

My little one loves pasta, so I often prepare portions of her favourite mac and cheese which are easy to freeze and reheat. On days when she needs a quick meal, I can just pop it in the microwave and have a tasty, filling meal ready in minutes!

My little one loves pasta, so I often prepare portions of her favourite mac and cheese which are easy to freeze and reheat. On days when she needs a quick meal, I can just pop it in the microwave and have a tasty, filling meal ready in minutes!
That's a great idea! Carbs and cheese - a winning combination for most toddlers, and definitely a good, energy-filled meal. My toddler also loves creamy pasta but I usually cook a simpler version with just butter and a little bit of salt, and sometimes hidden veggies like cauliflower or carrots. It's a blank canvas and you can add in anything your little one likes!

You're most welcome - happy to share ideas to get those sneaky nutrients into our little ones! It's always good to have some hacks up your sleeve.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
You're most welcome - happy to share ideas to get those sneaky nutrients into our little ones! It's always good to have some hacks up your sleeve.
it feels good to have an arsenal of parenting tricks and hacks at our disposal, especially the older they get and the more adventurous their palettes become! As long as they're eating well and healthily, we're winning.

Do you ladies have any other sanity-saving ideas up your sleeves? I'll take all the inspiration I can get!

I've been trying to make meal times fun and games - today I got out some colourful straws and some small snacks like cerel bits, rice crackers etc and my toddler had fun sucking them through the straws - kept him busy and amused and also practicing his drinking skills! Also a hit is letting them play with their food a bit - making faces with banana or other soft fruits, or using different shaped cookie cutters for sandwiches - makes lunch times more fun and creative.

Those are some awesome ideas! Making mealtime fun certainly helps with getting little ones to eat, especially when they're picky. Love the idea of using straws to improve their drinking skills too - it's like sneakily practice-drinking! And yes, letting them play with their food is such a great way to make them more interested and engaged. Love the face idea - that'll certainly bring some giggles to the table!

Reactions: mamamia
Glad you find them useful! Mealtime can certainly be challenging, so anything to make it more fun is great. And yes, why not let them have a bit of fun and get creative at meal times! It's such an easy way to keep their interest while also helping them develop those drinking skills - which they'll inevitably need as they grow up! Let me know if you have any other hacks that work for your toddlers; always good to hear new ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
It's amazing how something as simple as allowing them creative freedom at meal times can help with development. We'd love to hear any other suggestions people have too - every parent could use some new ideas to try!

It's amazing how something as simple as allowing them creative freedom at meal times can help with development. We'd love to hear any other suggestions people have too - every parent could use some new ideas to try!
Simple is often best! Toddler attention spans are fickle, so keeping things quick and easy is a real win. As parents, we just want to make mealtime peaceful and enjoyable for all -- and hopefully some of these ideas help achieve that!

Meal prep containers are great for this stage - portion out their meals ahead of time so they can easily access it themselves at meal times - lessening the likelihood of a tantrum because it's quick and visible what's for lunch/dinner! Also a win for portion control and knowing how much they're eating. I also found giving them two or three options of healthy foods works well; they feel in control but you're limiting their choices to manageable, healthy ones. Great tip about the attention spans - this is such a tricky stage! Would love to hear more simple tips like these, as it's so true that simplicity is key right now!

Such great ideas! I'm going to try the meal prep containers - Calum would definitely benefit from seeing his food laid out clearly like that and it's such a simple but effective way of helping him access his meals independently.

I also love the idea of giving toddler choices but limiting them to healthy options. It really does help with their sense of autonomy which is such a big deal for them at this age, but keeps things manageable for us! I'll have to remember that one when he's a bit older too and we're out and about - choose two restaurants/cafes etc that are healthy and let him decide which one we go to.

Any other simple strategies for dealing with the terrible twos/threes? I feel like Calum's tantrums have been amped up lately and I'm running out of ideas to keep him settled and happy!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu