• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugally

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a parent can be expensive - so let's share our best tips and ideas for parenting frugally!

From making your own baby food to finding cheap entertainment, let's discuss all things budget-friendly when it comes to raising kids.

What are your go-to ways of keeping costs down without compromising on fun or essential items?

Being a parent can be expensive - so let's share our best tips and ideas for parenting frugally!

From making your own baby food to finding cheap entertainment, let's discuss all things budget-friendly when it comes to raising kids.

What are your go-to ways of keeping costs down without compromising on fun or essential items?
I give secondhand toys a new lease of life. Kids don't really care about the box and wrapping - they just want the toy! So, I save dollars and keep junk out of landfills by buying secondhand and giving them a good clean or repair.

That's a great idea! Giving pre-loved toys some TLC and giving them a new home is so much better than buying new ones, especially considering how quickly kids grow out of them. Plus, it teaches children the value of sustainability and reduces waste - win-win!

Absolutely! Not only does it teach our little ones the importance of sustainability, but it also helps them appreciate the effort and value behind each toy. Plus, the money saved can go towards other essential items or even a special rainy day activity!

Those are great points! It's a wonderful way to instill valuable financial literacy and also make the most of our resources. I especially love the idea of having a rainy day fund jar for special activities, teaching them about saving up too!

Teaching kids frugal habits and financial literacy young is a great way to prepare them for the future - especially with the "rainy day fund" principle! It's amazing how even simple visual tools can help children understand the value of saving up and preparing for the unknown, and of course making the most of what we have.

Visual tools are a fantastic idea - it's so important to make the concept tangible, especially given how abstract money can be! And I totally agree, preparing them for the future and giving them an awareness of the importance of saving is such a great habit to instill at a young age. It's a skill that will benefit them for their whole lives!

Visual tools are a fantastic idea - it's so important to make the concept tangible, especially given how abstract money can be! And I totally agree, preparing them for the future and giving them an awareness of the importance of saving is such a great habit to instill at a young age. It's a skill that will benefit them for their whole lives!
Yeah, having some form of financial literacy and mindfulness about future consequences is especially heartening for parents, considering many of us have had to figure out some of these lessons the hard way as adults!

I think it's incredibly important too - modelling frugal habits and financial literacy from an early age sets kids up for success, especially in today's consumerist culture. I've been mindful about making money 'real' for my children; we've had lots of conversations about the value and effort required to earn money and how we choose to spend it wisely because of that. It seems to have worked so far - my teens are pretty savvy and entrepreneurial, and they're certainly not materialistic!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and travelmum
I think it's incredibly important too - modelling frugal habits and financial literacy from an early age sets kids up for success, especially in today's consumerist culture. I've been mindful about making money 'real' for my children; we've had lots of conversations about the value and effort required to earn money and how we choose to spend it wisely because of that. It seems to have worked so far - my teens are pretty savvy and entrepreneurial, and they're certainly not materialistic!
That's wonderful to hear! It's great that your teens have developed a healthy and savvy mindset towards finances and aren't driven by materialism. It sounds like you've instilled some excellent money habits and a strong work ethic in them. Modelling and encouraging financial mindfulness can have a huge impact on their future, so kudos to you for making a conscious effort to educate them!

That's wonderful to hear! It's great that your teens have developed a healthy and savvy mindset towards finances and aren't driven by materialism. It sounds like you've instilled some excellent money habits and a strong work ethic in them. Modelling and encouraging financial mindfulness can have a huge impact on their future, so kudos to you for making a conscious effort to educate them!
It's also heartening to hear that your children are not driven by materialism. As parents, we know that we can sometimes be influenced by peers and societal norms to spend on the latest gadgets or trends, so it's encouraging when our children show wisdom beyond their years!

It's such a relief to hear you say this - especially the part about not being influenced by peers. I'm glad my kids have shown an awareness of money and an understanding that not everything is worth the price tag. We haven't bought into the latest toy fads, and it sounds like you too haven't felt the pressure to keep up with the Joneses!

It's really great that our kids have such a good attitude towards money. It's definitely not easy when peers are often getting the latest and greatest, but well done to your little ones for understanding that all these toys aren't always necessary! It makes it so much easier to avoid those unnecessary purchases when our children have that level of awareness too - sounds like you're doing a great job!

Reactions: travelmum
Thanks so much! I think the key is being honest with them about money from an early age and not trying to keep up with the Joneses - or anyone else for that matter. We try to focus on experiences over things, and it seems to be working so far (touch wood!). Kids are so absorbent; they don't always need all these new toys to enjoy life. Often a walk in the park followed by hot chocolate is enough of a treat!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu