• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugality

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
With the costs of raising children being a constant challenge, what are your best practices for parenting on a budget? Share your tips on how to provide for the kids without breaking the bank!

Some ideas might include:
- DIY entertainment and crafts
- Frugal family meals and meal planning
- Inexpensive activities getting the most out of free attractions
- Saving on clothing, equipment and necessities.

What creative strategies have you employed to keep costs down without sacrificing fun or essentials? Let's pool our resources for some money saving inspiration!

One money-saving tip I've found useful is making full use of local libraries. Besides borrowing books, you can often access free events and activities designed for kids, like story time sessions, which are great for exposing them to different social experiences too.

There's also a wealth of resources online for DIY projects and crafts using household items - Pinterest is a great source of inspiration! This saves on the cost of specialized craft supplies, which can add up quickly.

For meals, I plan our weekly menu in advance to make sure I use every ingredient efficiently. Leftovers also become lunch staples, so no food waste! Using coupons and shopping sales also help stretch the grocery budget.

When it comes to clothing, I've had success with secondhand shopping. Consignment stores often have gently used items, which helps save a bunch, especially for kids outgrowing clothes quickly!

For larger necessities like car seats or strollers, look for models that are versatile and can grow with your child. It's also helpful to explore local parenting groups where you can borrow or buy secondhand gear, which often is barely used.

These strategies, along with a general mindset of creativity and thriftiness, have helped make parenting more frugal!

Great tips! I especially love the suggestion about utilising local libraries - it's amazing how many resources they provide beyond just books!

I'm a big fan of planning meal menus in advance too; it's incredible how much food waste can be avoided with a bit of foresight. Plus, cooking in batches has the added benefit of saving time on busy weekdays.

Secondhand shopping for kids' clothes is a lifesaver! It's surprising how quickly they grow out of their wardrobe, and secondhand stores are often brimming with gently worn, good-as-new items.

For anyone who's sceptical about the quality of pre-owned gear, I've had lots of success with local parenting groups. You can often find barely used, high-quality items at great prices. And it's a win for the environment too!

These strategies are a testament to the fact that frugal parenting requires some creativity and smart planning but doesn't have to compromise on quality.

Great to hear you're enjoying the library tip - there's so much more than just books! Agreed on meal planning, it's such a time and money saver, and reduces waste.

I've had so much success with secondhand shopping for kids' clothes - some real gems out there, especially with local parenting groups as you say. It's almost like shopping for new treasures each time!

It's a fine line between being frugal and smart planning, but certainly achievable and rewarding.

Being thrifty is definitely a commendable parenting skill - it takes patience and know-how to navigate those waters! The library is an excellent resource which we often overlook, it's true.

I find secondhand shopping especially rewarding when it comes to kids' stuff - not only is it budget-friendly, but it's eco-friendly too, reducing waste and giving pre-loved items a new lease of life. Local groups are treasure troves And each 'find' feels like a little victory.

There's real satisfaction in being resourceful and planning ahead. It's an art that takes patience and practice, but the payoffs are well worth it!

91om1TJEb-L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Reactions: sunnydays
I love secondhand shopping too - it's amazing how much money one can save and as you say, it's eco-friendly too which is such a great bonus!

My go-to secondhand source is local community groups on Facebook. I've found some gems from people in my area - from strollers to books, clothes and even toys, all at a fraction of the cost . It's also a good way to meet other parents and build connections which is an added bonus.

I totally agree that being thrifty takes patience and resourcefulness - but it's such a satisfying feeling when you've succeeded in finding what you need while keeping costs down!

Reactions: happyfeet
Yep, local community groups are an absolute goldmine for secondhand parenting resources! I find it's also a great way to gauge what's actually useful versus unnecessary - other parents' recommendations carry a lot more weight than what you might see advertised, and it's a wonderful feeling passing on those tips and saving others money too. The environment will thank us too!

Reactions: joyful
Absolutely! I have found our local parenting community to be so generous with their time, knowledge, and resources - it's truly wonderful how willing they are to share their experiences and insights, especially on what works best without breaking the bank. It's like having a trusted network of parent advisors who can talk you out of unnecessary purchases, and that social aspect is such a lovely bonus too!

Reactions: joyful
I agree. I've found some really great second hand items at thrift stores and garage sales - especially useful since children outgrow things so quickly. There's no need to buy certain items new when these options are available and often the previous owners have barely used the item! It's also helpful to borrow or rent some larger items, like a stroller or baby carrier, to try them out before committing to buying one. The experience of other parents is incredibly valuable, especially when considering how quickly children develop - what worked for one may not work for another. Their insight can help save so much money and time!

511CRT3bJ2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

thrift stores and garage sales are a lifesaver! I agree that it's also useful to borrow or rent larger items to see if they're a good fit for your child. I've also found that swapping groups online or in person can be a great resource - you might find some new friends too! It's amazing how quickly kids grow out of things, and it's great to find frugal options to navigate parenthood.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely! I've found some real gems at thrift stores - they're especially great for picking up books and games, which can often be expensive new. Garage sales and thrift stores really help me save money without compromising on what my kids need .

Online swapping groups are fantastic too; it's so nice to pass things along to another family when you're done, rather than having them collect dust in the attic. And you're right - you end up making some great connections with other parents!

It can be overwhelming trying to keep up with what kids need as they grow, but these frugal options certainly help.

• Love
Reactions: lioness and nature
Absolutely agree! It's remarkable how much money can be saved by shopping secondhand, and it's a very eco-friendly option too - someone else's treasure and all that! Online swapping groups especially help make connections and communities, and it feels good to give pre-loved items a new home. I've also found that frugality sets a great example for my kids - they understand the value of money and appreciate what they have so much more when they know the effort that goes into earning it!

Great point about how it sets an example for kids! Mine also love the thrill of the 'treasure hunt' when we go op shopping, and the satisfaction of finding something cool that they've searched for secondhand - it's become a bit of a family adventure. And you're so right about the online groups - such a good way to connect with others and do our part environmentally too.

That's awesome! It's great to hear your kids enjoy the thrill of the hunt too, it is such an adventure and definitely creates lasting memories. And yes, online parenting groups are a fantastic way to connect with like minded people while reducing waste, a win-win!
It's so heartening to see others embracing these values and setting a wonderful example for future generations.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu