• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugality

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The key to successful budgeting as a parent is finding ways to cut costs without compromising your kids' quality of life - it's all about parenting frugally! Share your best tips for keeping the little ones happy without breaking the bank.

One of my favourites is making mealtimes fun by getting creative with meal prep. Instead of buying expensive ready meals or restaurant dinners, I involve my kids in cooking inexpensive, healthy meals at home. We have fun together in the kitchen and they're more likely to eat the food too! Win-win!

What other frugal life hacks do you parents have up your sleeves?

I second the cooking at home idea! It's a great way to bond with the little ones and also save some serious cash. No need to splurge on fancy restaurants or takeouts when you can create tasty meals right at home.

Another tip is to keep an eye out for free or low-cost attractions in your area. Many cities have parks, museums, or community events that are either free or very affordable. These places can offer a fun day out without burning a hole in your pocket. And with the money saved, you can maybe even treat the family to a nice ice cream outing!

Being thrifty doesn't have to mean sacrificing fun - it's about being resourceful and knowing what's out there!

I second the cooking at home idea! It's a great way to save money and also teach your children a valuable life skill - win-win situation

My kiddo loves helping me prepare meals, and it's become a fun family activity. We also make our own playdough - it's super easy, cheap, and a great way to **** an afternoon. Plus the kids can help decide on colors and add scents like lavender or citrus from the garden!

We also cut back on expensive extracurricular classes by signing up for free trials and sampling different activities. This way, my child gets to experience a variety of sports and hobbies without commitment and we discover together what she really enjoys. Then we only commit to paying for the things she really loves doing.

I think the key is getting creative and thinking outside the box to find low-cost alternatives!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
I second the cooking at home idea! It's a great way to save money and also teach your children a valuable life skill - win-win situation

My kiddo loves helping me prepare meals, and it's become a fun family activity. We also make our own playdough - it's super easy, cheap, and a great way to **** an afternoon. Plus the kids can help decide on colors and add scents like lavender or citrus from the garden!

We also cut back on expensive extracurricular classes by signing up for free trials and sampling different activities. This way, my child gets to experience a variety of sports and hobbies without commitment and we discover together what she really enjoys. Then we only commit to paying for the things she really loves doing.

I think the key is getting creative and thinking outside the box to find low-cost alternatives!
Another awesome way is to buy last pieces of clothes/shoes for the kids especially when they are growing up so fast and outgrow them quickly! You can get good quality items at bargain prices, sometimes as low as 10% of the original price! That's max savings!

Also, second-hand books or toys in good condition are a great find cause kids grow bored of them real quick too haha. Can grab some nice ones cheap and keep the little ones entertained for a decent amount of time without burning a hole in the pocket!

Another awesome way is to buy last pieces of clothes/shoes for the kids especially when they are growing up so fast and outgrow them quickly! You can get good quality items at bargain prices, sometimes as low as 10% of the original price! That's max savings!

Also, second-hand books or toys in good condition are a great find cause kids grow bored of them real quick too haha. Can grab some nice ones cheap and keep the little ones entertained for a decent amount of time without burning a hole in the pocket!
Shopping at the thrift store for kid's items is a brilliant way to save money, especially with how fast they grow! It's also a great opportunity to get high-quality brands at affordable prices.

I agree that second-hand books and toys are an excellent find, and a great way to keep the kids entertained without breaking the bank. I love that it encourages sustainability and reduces waste too - very environmentally friendly! And who doesn't love a good bargain hunt?

Some toys are classic for a reason and seem to stand the test of time; they can be passed down from sibling to sibling!

Shopping at the thrift store for kid's items is a brilliant way to save money, especially with how fast they grow! It's also a great opportunity to get high-quality brands at affordable prices.

I agree that second-hand books and toys are an excellent find, and a great way to keep the kids entertained without breaking the bank. I love that it encourages sustainability and reduces waste too - very environmentally friendly! And who doesn't love a good bargain hunt?

Some toys are classic for a reason and seem to stand the test of time; they can be passed down from sibling to sibling!
Yup, thrift shops are like hidden gems for parents watching their finances. Branded clothes at affordable prices is such a satisfying find and helps save a ton of money, especially for growing kids who need new clothes every few months!

The hunt for treasure at these shops is part of the fun too! You never know what great bargains you might discover and it's a thrill to give new life to pre-loved items. It's a great way to teach the little ones about sustainability and being content with what we have - an important life skill these days!

Meal prep at home is a great way to save money I find that eating out or ordering in can quickly burn a hole in the pocket and isn't sustainable either.

Having fun in the kitchen by making meal prep creative is a brilliant idea - gets the kids involved too, bond as a family and everyone's happy . Might wanna invest in some kid-friendly cooking tools too so they feel like they're helping out mam.

As for my frugal life hack, I'd say it's all about making DIY your bestie! From arts and crafts projects to little fix-it jobs around the house, I've found that going the DIY route saves me a pretty dollar and gives me a sense of satisfaction too. Plus points if your kids are into crafts 'cause they can join in and have fun decorating the house with their creative touches!

It's quite amazing how much money you end up saving when you don't have to buy things every other time. Repairing stuff also teaches the young ones some valuable life skills along the way instead of just throwing things away - win-win situation again!

Reactions: nature
As a parent, I find it really satsifying to discover ways to save money without compromising on fun or quality.

One thing that works well for me is planning family activities that are enjoyable but also very low-cost. For example, going to the park nearby and having a little picnic or playing games like Tag or Hide-and-Seek. Kids these days are so used to their gadgets and expensive toys, but honestly, simple old-school games can be a blast too! And it doesn't have to cost a ****.

Also agree on getting the kids involved in meal prep - it's a great way to keep them occupied and also develop their life skills! They feel a sense of accomplishment when they help make a meal from scratch, and it's heartwarming for all of us parents too, especially when they actually finish eating the food haha.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Yup, mealtimes can be a fun family affair! Getting the kids involved in cooking is a great way to keep them engaged and excited about the food they're eating. Plus, you're right - it's a wonderful opportunity for family bonding too!

I totally agree with you on DIY-ing whenever possible. It's amazing how much money we unconsciously spend on little things that can be easily fixed or crafted ourselves. Teaching our kids some basic DIY skills is also a great way to prepare them for adult life -– they'll learn to manage and take pride in their little achievements!

I remember my mom getting us to help with simple household fixes and decorations when we were young. Turned out to be quite the money-saver for her, and it kept us occupied and happy too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu