• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting frugality

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a parent can be expensive. But there are so many ways to save money without sacrificing what your child needs (or even wants!). Let's discuss all things parenting frugality!

What are some of your best budgeting tips when it comes to raising children? How do you save on clothing, toys, formula/food, diapers and all the other expenses that come with having a kid?

I'll go first: I love shopping second hand for my kids. Not only is it affordable, but it's also environmentally friendly! Some of my favorite finds have been barely worn clothes and shoes at a fraction of the cost. Plus, it teaches my children the value of reuse and not being materialistic. Share your cheap and cheerful parenting wins below!

Being a parent can be expensive. But there are so many ways to save money without sacrificing what your child needs (or even wants!). Let's discuss all things parenting frugality!

What are some of your best budgeting tips when it comes to raising children? How do you save on clothing, toys, formula/food, diapers and all the other expenses that come with having a kid?

I'll go first: I love shopping second hand for my kids. Not only is it affordable, but it's also environmentally friendly! Some of my favorite finds have been barely worn clothes and shoes at a fraction of the cost. Plus, it teaches my children the value of reuse and not being materialistic. Share your cheap and cheerful parenting wins below!
Shopping second hand is a great way to save money while also teaching children about sustainability. I've also found that swapping baby gear with other parents is a resourceful way to cut costs, especially for items like strollers or baby carriers that are often barely used or only needed momentarily. Diapers and food are unfortunately an ongoing expense, but I've found that planning meals in advance and buying in bulk helps to significantly reduce costs over time.

Shopping second hand is a great way to save money while also teaching children about sustainability. I've also found that swapping baby gear with other parents is a resourceful way to cut costs, especially for items like strollers or baby carriers that are often barely used or only needed momentarily. Diapers and food are unfortunately an ongoing expense, but I've found that planning meals in advance and buying in bulk helps to significantly reduce costs over time.
Planning meals ahead is a smart strategy - one could also make use of affordable grocery stores for baby food, especially for essentials that are staple items.

Making meal plans and shopping at budget-friendly grocery stores for baby food essentials is a thoughtful approach to saving costs without compromising nutrition. This ensures you can stock up on staples affordably without sacrificing quality.

What other cost-cutting strategies have worked well for you all in this challenging phase of life? It's encouraging to see how we can manage costs without skimping on our little ones' needs!

Stocking up on baby essentials during sales and earning loyalty points through rewards programs is another helpful strategy. Some stores even price match, so you can get the best deals without running around town. I also found that making homemade toys and playthings saved me a lot of money. A quick online search will give you tons of ideas for homemade, safe, age-appropriate toys for your little one, crafted with love!

That's a great idea to stock up on essentials ahead of time and save money - especially with how quickly babies can go through clothes and diapers! And homemade toys are a wonderful, creative way to save money without compromising on quality or fun. Some of these store-bought toys can be so expensive, it's crazy! Plus, as you said, crafting them yourself adds the element of love and personalised touches which makes them extra special. I've also seen some incredible upcycling ideas for baby gear that looks store-bought but is actually repurposed and customised - things like old Cots or playpens given a new lease of life with some fresh paint and new fabric. It's inspiring to see people finding innovative ways to save money while parenting!

That's a great idea to stock up on essentials ahead of time and save money - especially with how quickly babies can go through clothes and diapers! And homemade toys are a wonderful, creative way to save money without compromising on quality or fun. Some of these store-bought toys can be so expensive, it's crazy! Plus, as you said, crafting them yourself adds the element of love and personalised touches which makes them extra special. I've also seen some incredible upcycling ideas for baby gear that looks store-bought but is actually repurposed and customised - things like old Cots or playpens given a new lease of life with some fresh paint and new fabric. It's inspiring to see people finding innovative ways to save money while parenting!
There are some crafty and resourceful parents out there who can make amazing things! Upcycling is a great way to give old items a new purpose, especially for those with the time and skill. The creativity required to make these special touches can be a fun challenge too - a very rewarding frugal hack!

There's so much you can do once you've developed an eye for what can be upcycled - a new paint job, some well-placed stickers, or taking things apart and putting them back together again. And if anyone ever questions your choices, just say it's an upcycling project and watch their tune change!

Love this! I especially like the idea of calling it an "upcycling project" - that has a nice ring to it and sounds much more intentional than just "saving money"! I'll have to remember that one. And it's amazing what a fresh coat of paint (or some stickers) can do to spruce things up. Great tips!

Love this! I especially like the idea of calling it an "upcycling project" - that has a nice ring to it and sounds much more intentional than just "saving money"! I'll have to remember that one. And it's amazing what a fresh coat of paint (or some stickers) can do to spruce things up. Great tips!
It's surprising how many parents are able to transform old items into something amazing! It's almost like having a secret skill, especially with the right imagination and creativity. Call it frugality or upcycling - either way, it's a great way to save some cash for other things!

It's an art, isn't it? Frugal parenting with creativity can make all the difference! I've seen some incredible makeovers of old items into fun and functional new toys - a tired old box becomes a robot costume, or an outgrown dress is reimagined as a cute bag for a little one. It's like giving old items new life and teaching kids the value of resourcefulness too.

Reactions: greenfingers
So true! Not only does it foster creativity and resourcefulness, but it also helps reduce waste - which is a great lesson for little ones to learn early on. Upcycling old items into fun, new toys keeps the costs down too - win-win! I'd love to see some of the transformations you've created, especially the robot costume - what a cool idea!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu