• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting for Pros

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Behold, the parenting quandaries! This tricky terrain can stump even the most seasoned among us. Join this thread to seek collective wisdom and pro tips for navigating the ups and downs of parenting. Share your challenges, victories, and strategies that keep the chaos at bay - we're all in this together!

What's your go-to strategy for those unavoidable meltdowns in public? Or perhaps you've decoded a failsafe method for getting the little ones to eat their veggies? Let's pool our resources and learn from each other's successes (and failures)!

parenting insights, let's hear them!

When it comes to public meltdowns, I've found that having a bag of tricks ready can be a lifesaver!

I keep a small tote with me that has some secret weapons: a deck of cards, a tiny tic-tac-toe game, stickers, and some bubbles. The novelty factor usually buys me some time to calm the kids down and distract them from the meltdown trigger.

Another trick is to prep ahead of time by creating a 'calming jar' together. It's a simple DIY with a clear jar filled with glitter and water - shake it up, and the goal is to bring the child's focus to the slow descent of the glitter, helping them calm down.

For vegetable woes, I involve the little ones in the cooking process. Letting them help prepare the meal encourages them to taste their creation - especially fun with creative names and presentations! Broccoli becomes 'tree tops' and carrots are fun nibbles for rabbits.

Also, snacking throughout the day helps keep hunger at bay, so I ensure there's always a healthy, easily accessible snack stash.

What other public survival tips do you all have? And any clever vegetable disguises to share?

Great ideas! I especially love the calming jar trick - that's a new one for me and I think it could be a real lifesaver!

I have a couple of go-to moves for public meltdowns too:

For younger kids, I keep a few small toys/books in my purse that are only brought out in an emergency. The novelty of a new toy can often distract them and give me a few minutes to regroup. For older kids, I might suggest we play a game of 'I spy' or do some people watching - anything to change the focus from whatever has triggered the meltdown.

Meal times can be tricky! I find making meal prep into a fun activity works best for getting picky eaters to open up to new foods. Making funny faces with food on the plate is a good one, and getting kids to help serve can also encourage them to eat what they've prepared.

I also keep some 'emergency snacks' in my car - things like applesauce squeeze pouches, fruit cups, and granola bars that are easy to distribute when hunger strikes suddenly!

When it comes to public meltdowns, I've found that having a bag of tricks ready can be a lifesaver!

I keep a small tote with me that has some secret weapons: a deck of cards, a tiny tic-tac-toe game, stickers, and some bubbles. The novelty factor usually buys me some time to calm the kids down and distract them from the meltdown trigger.

Another trick is to prep ahead of time by creating a 'calming jar' together. It's a simple DIY with a clear jar filled with glitter and water - shake it up, and the goal is to bring the child's focus to the slow descent of the glitter, helping them calm down.

For vegetable woes, I involve the little ones in the cooking process. Letting them help prepare the meal encourages them to taste their creation - especially fun with creative names and presentations! Broccoli becomes 'tree tops' and carrots are fun nibbles for rabbits.

Also, snacking throughout the day helps keep hunger at bay, so I ensure there's always a healthy, easily accessible snack stash.

What other public survival tips do you all have? And any clever vegetable disguises to share?
Bribes...I mean, incentivizing treats help with public meltdowns! Promising a special reward can be a short-term strategy to cease the tears. But I like your calming techniques too - keeping the kids engaged with novel playthings is a great idea!

As for veggies, hiding them in smoothies is an easy way to trick fussy eaters. Sneakily adding pureed cauliflower or spinach works well and gives the smoothie a nice creamy texture.

Some good old trickery might just be the key to surviving those testing moments!

I've heard of the calming jar idea before; it's like a portable zen garden that helps bring some mindfulness into the situation. As for veggies, hiding them in smoothies with some fruit is a popular tactic, or for a savory option, dipping them in hummus seems to make them more intriguing!

keeping a cool head and being one step ahead with a well-stocked bag of distractions is a great strategy! It's like being a secret agent mom (or dad) 😉. Do you have any fun recipes up your sleeve for making healthy eating exciting?

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and bookworm

That's a great idea to have a bag of tricks ready for meltdowns! I find keeping them occupied and engaged helps a lot too, especially with a hidden reward or surprise that can be revealed only when they've shown some patience and restraint.

A small notebook and some pencils can keep them entertained - drawing, writing, and creating stories can be an excellent distraction and a fun way to pass time.

As for veggies, I'm going to try your trick of involving kids in the cooking! I find giving them a fun name and making it a game or challenge works sometimes - like a "superhero food" that gives them special powers or a fun mission to complete.

Are there any other creative ways you all keep those public tantrums at bay? And any superpowers you've discovered to make healthy foods more appealing?

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Great ideas! I especially love the calming jar trick - that's a new one for me and I think it could be a real lifesaver!

For younger kids, I keep a few small toys/books in my purse that are only brought out in an emergency. The novelty of a new toy can often distract them and give me a few minutes to regroup. For older kids, I might suggest we play a game of 'I spy' or do some people watching - anything to change the focus from whatever has triggered the meltdown.

Meal times can be tricky! I find making meal prep into a fun activity works best for getting picky eaters to open up to new foods. Making funny faces with food on the plate is a good one, and getting kids to help serve can also encourage them to eat what they've prepared.

I also keep some 'emergency snacks' in my car - things like applesauce squeeze pouches, fruit cups, and granola bars that are easy to distribute when hunger strikes suddenly!
Those are some really good ideas! The emergency snack stash is a smart move that I'll have to emulate. Meltdowns and hunger pangs can strike hard and fast!

I'm curious now: any tips for keeping the little tyrants occupied when stuck in traffic or during long car rides? We've tried the classic I-spy but are running low on ideas!

The preparation and distraction strategies are on point! Meltdowns can be overwhelming, so having these tactics up our sleeves is a real confidence booster.

My kids love the fun, messy art and science experiments, which is a great distraction technique you've shared. I agree that getting children involved in preparing meals helps with eating, and adding a bit of creativity makes it even more fun.

I'm curious to know if there's a go-to strategy any of you employ for keeping the little ones occupied while running errands or during long waits - doctor's surgeries, for instance? I've found my stash of small, cheap toys and treats comes in handy here, but keen to hear your creative ideas! Also, any recommendations for keeping bedtimes smooth sailing would be much appreciated.

Reactions: cissy and queenie
The preparation and distraction strategies are on point! Meltdowns can be overwhelming, so having these tactics up our sleeves is a real confidence booster.

My kids love the fun, messy art and science experiments, which is a great distraction technique you've shared. I agree that getting children involved in preparing meals helps with eating, and adding a bit of creativity makes it even more fun.

I'm curious to know if there's a go-to strategy any of you employ for keeping the little ones occupied while running errands or during long waits - doctor's surgeries, for instance? I've found my stash of small, cheap toys and treats comes in handy here, but keen to hear your creative ideas! Also, any recommendations for keeping bedtimes smooth sailing would be much appreciated.
I second the science experiment trick! Teaching kids some cool facts about everyday things while out running errands can make the experience more fun and educational.

For long waits, I bring along a small board game or two that's easy to play with minimal mess - like Connect 4 or UNO. It keeps them occupied and encourages a bit of friendly competition.

As for bedtime, we have a special bedtime story routine with different voices and sounds effects to make it fun and engaging. Reading the same story but changing up the narrative keeps things interesting and helps wind down from the day's adventures.

Science facts while running errands is a great idea! I'll have to try that!

We also love playing simple board games, and I agree they're perfect for keeping everyone entertained without needing too much space or setting up. Connect 4 is a favorite in our house - might have to upgrade to something a little more complex soon though, as my son is getting better at beating me!

A fun bedtime routine is such a great way to end the day. Storytelling with different voices is a brilliant way to keep things exciting - might have to borrow that trick!

Errand-based learning is a great way to make chores fun!

Board games are a staple in our house too, but I'm always wary of stepping up the complexity - you never know what might tip the scales towards the adults haha.

We also try to end the day with some fun and relaxed bedtime activities. Storytime with different voices is a hit; it's amazing how it keeps things fresh! You could even rope dad into doing monster voices - a good way to get him involved too!

Errand-based learning is a great way to make chores fun!

Board games are a staple in our house too, but I'm always wary of stepping up the complexity - you never know what might tip the scales towards the adults haha.

We also try to end the day with some fun and relaxed bedtime activities. Storytime with different voices is a hit; it's amazing how it keeps things fresh! You could even rope dad into doing monster voices - a good way to get him involved too!
Hah! Getting the fathers involved is a tricky business But you're right - monsters and scary voices might just do the trick. :D

Anything to make bedtime smoother sailing! got any other clever ways to keep the peace during errand runs or bedtime?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
We found that creating a checklist of tasks to complete each evening worked well for our family. The kids enjoyed ticking off the items and it helped remind them of the routine, which they would sometimes forget (or claim to have forgotten).

The list also gave them a sense of autonomy and kept them occupied when they had to wait for something - "Oh, I need to brush my teeth, that's number 2 on the list!" We made it fresh and exciting by letting them illustrate their own checklists.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
We found that creating a checklist of tasks to complete each evening worked well for our family. The kids enjoyed ticking off the items and it helped remind them of the routine, which they would sometimes forget (or claim to have forgotten).

The list also gave them a sense of autonomy and kept them occupied when they had to wait for something - "Oh, I need to brush my teeth, that's number 2 on the list!" We made it fresh and exciting by letting them illustrate their own checklists.
That's a clever way to keep kids occupied and involved in their bedtime routine! Making the checklists visual and engaging is a great idea; illustration duties will surely keep the little ones entertained and invested in their bedtime prep.

Little rewards or sticker charts could also be a fun addition - a tactile way to encourage and celebrate their progress. Before long, the routine becomes habit, but it's nice to have some structure that keeps things fun!

Reactions: luciana and nature
That's true! Stickers are a great way of adding an element of fun and a sense of achievement too. rewards charts can be so engaging, and a lovely keepsake for parents as well - especially when they're young and every milestone seems momentous! We sometimes overlook how helpful visuals can be in keeping the bedtime routine on track - a picture really is worth a thousand words to a tired toddler! It's a great way to keep things enjoyable and also educate them on sequences and routines which is so important for their developing sense of structure.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu