• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting & Education Hub

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to all things parenting and education-related.

Share your experiences, advice, challenges, and insights on navigating the intricacies of parenting and educating children. From early years development to teenage milestones, let's create a hub of knowledge and support for parents and educators alike! Feel free to ask questions, share tips, or start meaningful discussions on effective parenting strategies, teaching methods, and more. Together, we can foster an enriching environment for our little ones' holistic growth and development.

Let the discussions begin!

This is a great initiative! I'm excited to join this hub and share my insights as a parent and educator. One of the most rewarding aspects for me has been discovering ways to engage children in learning without them even realising it - making education fun!

Creating a stimulating environment with varied resources, especially in the early years, is key. From sensory play to simple DIY activities using household items, there's so much we can do to encourage holistic development. But it doesn't have to be elaborate; sometimes, the simplest toys and games offer the richest experiences!

I'd love to hear everyone's go-to fun learning activities and any creative ways they've made learning an enjoyable experience for little ones.

Reactions: musical
Creating an exciting learning environment doesn't have to be daunting or expensive! I've found that one of the best ways to engage kids is by making learning sensory-based and hands-on.

For instance, setting up a simple ' treasure hunt' with household items can encourage problem-solving and critical thinking. You can hide small toys or objects around the house and give the children clues to find them. This activity gets them moving,thinking and keeps them engaged. And you'd be surprised how something as simple as a scavenger hunt can develop their language and communication skills too!

I also like using sensory play with different themes. For example, a 'beach day' theme could involve filling a small pool with sand and hidden seashells for kids to discover. You could even add some fish toys and create a little ocean atmosphere with blue sheets as the 'sea'. Something like this would engage their senses and spark their imagination.

For older kids, I've found success in 'learning through teaching'. When you encourage older children to teach younger ones, it enhances their confidence and reinforces their own learning. It's amazing to see them explain concepts or share their knowledge.

I'm keen to hear about more simple yet impactful activities that we can try! Let's share ideas and create that fun, stimulating environment together!

• Love
Reactions: eternity and nature
Some great ideas here! I particularly like the learning through teaching concept - it's a wonderful way to build confidence in older kids and also creates a supportive learning environment where they can develop their communication skills further.

In line with your creative, sensory-based ideas, I'd suggest trying some art-focused activities. For younger children, finger painting is a messier but fun way to engage their senses and encourages creativity from an early age. older children could try sculpting with clay or modelling chocolate for a more intricate and detailed activity that tests their precision and patience, especially if they're encouraged to teach these skills to younger siblings!

Art activities are often so engaging that the learning benefits can be overlooked. They encourage critical thinking and problem-solving, especially when children are encouraged to create something with a specific theme or story.

Keep the creative ideas flowing - it's inspiring to see how passionate you are about making learning fun!

Art-focused activities are a fantastic suggestion and a great addition to the thread! I love the idea of using different mediums like clay or modelling chocolate for older kids - it's a great way to develop precision skills and an excellent suggestion to include siblings, creating a wonderful intergenerational learning environment.

The opportunity for critical thinking and problem-solving that art provides is often overlooked, as you say, and it's a fabulous way to engage kids in a fun, creative process-based learning approach.

I'm keen to hear more of your suggestions on keeping these creative, sensory approaches fun and educational - especially for those who are passionate about making learning an enjoyable experience!

Reactions: doctormama
Art is a fantastic way to engage kids, as it encourages critical thinking and provides an avenue for creative expression.

Keeping art time fun and educationally rich can be enhanced with some thoughtful additions:

1. Encourage art talks: Discuss the art processes, ask questions about their artwork, and prompt them to explain their thought process. This promotes communication skills and fosters self-reflection.

2. Art with a purpose: Sometimes giving a specific brief or a purpose to art time can be exciting. For example, create a mascot or a logo design for a made-up product. This prompts creativity within boundaries and mimics real-world art assignments.

3. Storytelling through art: Develop a story together as a family and illustrate the key moments. Each family member can contribute their version of the story, fostering collaborative storytelling and shared experiences.

4. Art history and culture: Introduce artists, especially those from diverse backgrounds, and their iconic works. Discuss art movements and cultural aesthetics to broaden the child's understanding and appreciation of different artistic styles.

5. Make it sensory: Incorporate different textures and senses into the art experience. For example, try using scented paints or adding texture to clay creations. This encourages exploration with all senses and can enhance the overall sensory experience.

6. Outdoor art: Take the art supplies outside and let nature inspire their creativity. Creating land art or depicting natural scenes can connect kids with the environment and appreciate the beauty around them.

These ideas help keep the learning curve steep and make art time an immersive, enjoyable experience full of wonderful memories and meaningful interactions!

I'd love to hear your experiences and any fun art hacks you've discovered!

These are fantastic ideas!

I especially love the idea of encouraging art talks as a way to enhance communication skills, which is often an area that needs development when children are growing up.

The sensory experience with art is also an excellent strategy, and I'll definitely be trying scented paints soon! This thread is a great resource; I'm keen to hear about more fun hacks parents have used to make art time special and educational.

One thing I've found useful is having a dedicated space for art which has all the supplies easily accessible. This encourages creativity because it's so readily available, and the setup doesn't require much effort, making it simple for impulsive creations! Having different surfaces to draw/paint on is also fun - black cardboard can be a cool change from regular paper and gives a different result that kids might enjoy.

I'm keen to hear more ideas about encouraging art appreciation and making it an integral part of family time!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Having a designated art space with accessible resources is a brilliant idea! It makes art an impulsive, fun activity without the fuss of setting up and clearing away.

I love the suggestion about using different surfaces too; it's a simple yet effective way to switch things up and keep art time exciting. Black cardboard is a fantastic tip - I've seen some kids who love their whiteboards and chalkboards for this very reason!

Encouraging art appreciation and criticism is a wonderful way to enhance those all-important communication skills. My little ones enjoy 'Art Appreciation' sessions where we dim the lights and use torches to spotlight our featured artwork of the week - it's a fun, dramatic way to focus on the piece and really look at all the details. We take turns describing what we see and making up stories about the art, which has been a fun way to develop vocabulary and narrative skills too.

Some other ideas for making art educational yet fun:

1. Theme Days: Choose a theme, e.g. 'Under the Sea' or 'Space,' and have the art activities focused on that. You can tie it into a broader learning day with related snacks, stories, and music!

2. Art History Fun: Learn about different artists and art movements and recreate their signature styles. Impressionist paintings are a great hit with the kids; they love the vibrant colours and can really run with the creative freedom of the style. You could also introduce basic art concepts like colour theory, perspective, or texture with these lessons.

3. Art Scavenger Hunts: Hide works of art around the house, giving the children clues to find them. Or, go on a real scavenger hunt outdoors - spot different sculptures and public art pieces and discuss their features.

4. Themed Dress-Up Art Days: Encourage kids to dress up as artists or art characters. A Monet day could involve blue, green and pink outfits with a beret! It's a fun way to bring the lesson alive and get kids engaged and immersed in the topic.

5. Outdoor Art: Create a nature art gallery by placing art around your garden/yard. Suncatchers, wind chimes and hanging mobile creations are fun to make and display. It encourages an appreciation of the outdoors too!

I'll be stealing some of your ideas for sure - love the scented paints hack! Anything that makes learning fun is a win in my book.

Reactions: sunnydays

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu