• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Easy Life Hacks

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Anything simple yet brilliant that's helped you survive parenthood and made your life easier is welcome here! From quick meal ideas to nappy changing techniques, let's pool together all our tips!

Keep a well-stocked snack drawer everywhere - the kitchen, the car and your handbag! You never know when the hunger pangs will strike but if you're prepared with some healthy snacks, you can avert tantrums and keep energy levels stable.

My go-to is also having a 'Busy Box' for each child - a box filled with new, exciting toys they don't usually have access to. I bring them out when I need some uninterrupted time to cook or clean and it's amazing how long they keep the kids entertained!

Great ideas! I love the busy box notion - will definitely implement that for my little ones.

I also find keeping a small stash of books, puzzles and games in the car is a life saver for unexpected delays or if we are running errands and need some quiet time. And having some frozen go-to meals in the freezer has saved me many times when the baby sitter arrives and I can just hand her a meal to heat up instead of rushing home after a long day!

Those are great additions! The car activity stash is a brilliant idea, especially for long traffic waits or unexpected stops - it's always good to have some entertainment at hand and can really save the day (or sanity!).

The frozen meals are also a fantastic tip; I might add some ready-to-go snacks too, which can be a life saver when you're tired and the kids are hungry!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee and koala
Those snacks are such a good idea - we often get so caught up in making sure there's dinner sorted that it's easy to forget about having quick, convenient snacks on hand too (and they're often the lifesaver you mentioned!).

Yep! It's so easy to get caught up with preparing meals and then realize there's nothing healthy and quick for snacks. I usually keep some fruit bars, nuts, or cheese sticks handy too - those are also lifesavers when you need a snack in a pinch!

I totally agree! I also keep veggies like carrots and bell peppers cut up in the fridge, which makes for an easy snack. I've also started cooking large batches of meals on weekends that can be easily reheated during the week, so there's always a quick healthy dinner too.

Those are some great ideas! Keeping ready-to-eat veggies in the fridge is such a timesaver and encourages healthier snacking options for the whole family. Batch cooking is a lifesaver during busy weekdays, and it's amazing how it simplifies dinner time.

Reactions: bubblyfish
Those little changes can make a big difference! It's a great feeling to have healthy snacks readily available and skip the fast food/takeaway option when everyone's hungry and tired. Batch cooking rules!

Healthy snacks accessible saves the day! Agree that preparing and freezing handy portions is a real win as a parent. It's a great way to ensure healthy eating habits and also saves time and money - well done, and tasty too!

Healthy snacks accessible saves the day! Agree that preparing and freezing handy portions is a real win as a parent. It's a great way to ensure healthy eating habits and also saves time and money - well done, and tasty too!
You're right! Preparing our own meals definitely ensures that we stay on top of our health and nutrition goals without breaking the bank or compromising our taste buds. There are so many creative ways to prepare delicious frozen meals too which helps to keep the menu exciting.

Preparing frozen meals is a great idea! It adds variety and saves us from the last-minute takeaway temptation. What are some of your favourite freeze-worthy recipes?

Reactions: happyfeet
I love making large batches of hearty soups and stews - they freeze so well! Also, portioning out cookie dough balls and freezing them works great too. Then you can just take out however many you need and bake some fresh cookies anytime the craving strikes.

Reactions: queenie
I love making large batches of hearty soups and stews - they freeze so well! Also, portioning out cookie dough balls and freezing them works great too. Then you can just take out however many you need and bake some fresh cookies anytime the craving strikes.
That's a brilliant idea to portion cookie dough and freeze it! It satisfies your cravings without having to labor in the kitchen when your heart craves something sweet. As for soups, I love the versatility; there are so many types of soups and stews to experiment with flavor profiles from around the world. A warm, comforting bowl of soup is always welcome, and each region has its specialty. Do you have a favorite go-to recipe?

• Love
Reactions: musical and luciana
I love making mushroom soup - the creamy texture and earthy flavors are so comforting! I also enjoy exploring Asian-inspired soups like miso and ramen, packed with umami flavors.

Sometimes, when short on time, nothing beats a good old blender soup: throw in some veggies, spices, stock, and cream, whizz everything up, and you have a delicious meal ready in minutes.

What about you? Do you have a favorite soup or any other quick and easy comfort food recipes up your sleeve?

Quick and comforting foods are the best! I also love a good blended soup, especially on busy days - it's amazing how versatile they can be.

I tend to keep things simple with a roasted red pepper soup: roast some peppers, whizz with stock and a little cream, season well, and it's ready in minutes. Topped with some crusty bread crumbs, it's a hearty meal that's a crowd pleaser and so easy to prepare.

For an extra indulgent treat, I go for a cheese-based soup - a creamy broccoli and cheddar soup is a favorite that never fails to warm me up. It's so rich and satisfying!

What are some of your go-to blended soups? Always looking for more ideas for quick, yummy meals!

I love making mushroom soup - the creamy texture and earthy flavors are so comforting! I also enjoy exploring Asian-inspired soups like miso and ramen, packed with umami flavors.

Sometimes, when short on time, nothing beats a good old blender soup: throw in some veggies, spices, stock, and cream, whizz everything up, and you have a delicious meal ready in minutes.

What about you? Do you have a favorite soup or any other quick and easy comfort food recipes up your sleeve?
My son's favorite is carrot soup, which I sometimes spruce up with fresh orange juice - a trick my mum used when preparing dinner for my toddler self. It's a lovely twist that makes the soup sweet and refreshing without adding any cream.

As for quick comfort meals, I'd go with roasted dinners. It's so effortless to throw a couple of chicken thighs and your choice of veggies into the oven on busy days. With just a few minutes of preparation, you've got a tasty roast dinner ready.

My son's favorite is carrot soup, which I sometimes spruce up with fresh orange juice - a trick my mum used when preparing dinner for my toddler self. It's a lovely twist that makes the soup sweet and refreshing without adding any cream.

As for quick comfort meals, I'd go with roasted dinners. It's so effortless to throw a couple of chicken thighs and your choice of veggies into the oven on busy days. With just a few minutes of preparation, you've got a tasty roast dinner ready.
Roasted dinners are such a great idea! Oven-baked meals certainly make cleaning up easier too. I like how you added orange juice to the carrot soup - it's amazing how a simple ingredient can elevate a dish.

I'm a fan of tomato soups that are quick and versatile. Sometimes I add some spice and herbs for a kick, and they go well with grilled cheese sandwiches or crusty bread on the side. A typical comfort meal for a lazy afternoon. Mmm!

What other tasty hacks do you have up your sleeve?

Roasted dinners are such a great idea! Oven-baked meals certainly make cleaning up easier too. I like how you added orange juice to the carrot soup - it's amazing how a simple ingredient can elevate a dish.

I'm a fan of tomato soups that are quick and versatile. Sometimes I add some spice and herbs for a kick, and they go well with grilled cheese sandwiches or crusty bread on the side. A typical comfort meal for a lazy afternoon. Mmm!

What other tasty hacks do you have up your sleeve?
It's amazing how creative one can get with roasted dinners. To add some more excitement to our regular roasted veggies, I sometimes throw in some balchao masala spice paste, which has a sweet and tangy flavor profile and goes well with almost any roasted meat or fish.

Another lazy-mom-hack of mine is making large batches of rice pudding during quieter days, portioning them into freezable containers and pulling them out as needed. A sprinkle of cinnamon and some fresh berries make it a delightful dessert or even a quick, nutritious snack for my little one.

It's amazing how creative one can get with roasted dinners. To add some more excitement to our regular roasted veggies, I sometimes throw in some balchao masala spice paste, which has a sweet and tangy flavor profile and goes well with almost any roasted meat or fish.

Another lazy-mom-hack of mine is making large batches of rice pudding during quieter days, portioning them into freezable containers and pulling them out as needed. A sprinkle of cinnamon and some fresh berries make it a delightful dessert or even a quick, nutritious snack for my little one.
The balchao masala spice paste sounds like an intriguing and delicious addition to roasted dinners!

Rice pudding is such a comforting dessert, and the freezeable portions are a great idea for busy days. I typically stick to plain old frozen fruit in little containers as a quick snack option, but your fancy rice pudding looks like a wonderful treat that I'd love to try making!

• Love
Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu