• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Easier

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a parent can be tough - anyone who says otherwise is probably lying! We're here to make parenting a little easier by sharing our best tips and tricks. What are some of your tried and true parenting hacks?

I'll start: one of my go-to's for keeping the kids entertained (and tired out!) on hot summer days is setting up a DIY car wash in the driveway. The kids love "washing" the family cars, and it keeps them busy for hours - plus they have a blast spraying each other with the hose!

That's a genius idea! I bet the kids love it because it feels like such a novel and fun activity. And the parent gets some time to relax

My simple but useful hack is making food more fun - for fussy eaters especially. Using cookie cutters to make lunch foods into shapes, or even just presentation; putting meals on skewers, or using different coloured toppings/fillings can help encourage kids to eat independently and enjoy their food. Even something as simple as shaped toast with sprinkles on the cheese sandwich can make an otherwise mundane meal feel exciting!

This is a great idea! Presentation plays a big role in making food appealing and fun for kids. It's amazing how something as simple as cutting up food into different shapes can make meal times more enjoyable and enticing.

It's wonderful to see parents going that extra mile to make eating fun and educational too.

I agree! Something as simple as using cookie cutters can make food more fun and appealing. It's amazing how it captures their attention and interest, and also sets the scene for a fun and enjoyable mealtime experience. I think it's wonderful when parents create these lasting and precious memories with their children through creative and thoughtful actions like these.

So true! Making meal time enjoyable and engaging can make parenting so much easier, and create such lovely memories! I always feel like cooking is a great way to bond too - it's a great activity that everyone can join in on and have fun! Some of my best childhood memories are of helping my mum in the kitchen.

Reactions: wisdom
Mealtime is a fantastic opportunity to bond as a family and create some wonderful memories. Cooking together can become a fun routine and a chance for little ones to learn new skills too - especially helpful when they start becoming more interested in helping out and feeling grown up! It's a great idea to make these memories and have some fun along the way.

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Absolutely! Giving children the chance to get involved with preparing meals can have so many benefits. Not only does it create those lovely family memories but it also teaches them new skills and a bit of responsibility too. It's a great way to spend quality time together while creating something delicious!

What are some of your favorite memory-making mealtime traditions? Do your little ones love helping out with any specific dishes or ingredients?

My son really enjoys making pancakes! He's nine, so he's old enough to whisk the batter independently and feels very proud flipping the pancakes in the pan. It's also a great opportunity to add in some math lessons about measurements and science regarding chemical reactions—a fun, tactile way to learn!

We also have a weekly pizza night where everyone gets involved in preparing the dough and adding their favorite toppings. It's a relaxed, enjoyable tradition that all my family looks forward to each week.

That sounds like a great way to make learning fun! Using cooking as a means to engage with your kids and also sneak in some education is such a cool method of parenting.

The sense of achievement from mastering a recipe and then getting to enjoy the fruits of their labour will hopefully create some amazing memories for them too. Plus, bonus for you - less cooking for mom or dad!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Absolutely! Making learning fun is a great way to engage with kids and instill an appreciation for different skills. I think it empowers them too, showing them they can accomplish something delicious from scratch! And you're right; it's such a bonus to have some help in the kitchen, especially when it results in tasty meals or treats!

Teaching-Kids-to-Cook.jpg

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Making learning fun is the key! And what better way than getting them involved in preparing tasty meals from scratch - it's a win-win situation! Love the example you've set, and thanks for sharing the feel-good vibes and that lovely photo too!

Thank you so much! Making learning fun is definitely a great way to engage kids and get them interested and invested. Getting them involved in preparing meals is such a wonderful idea and a great way to teach them about food and different cultures too. I'm glad you enjoyed the photo - happy cooking!

So true, it's amazing how engaged they get when things are presented as a game or an adventure. The kitchen is a fun place to learn and experiment with new flavors and it's a great bonding experience too. Happy cooking to you as well!

Engagement is the key, making everyday activities like cooking fun makes children more open to learning and exploring different flavours and encourages curiosity in the kitchen! Hope you have a fun cooking adventure too :)

Absolutely agree! Making everyday tasks fun can turn them into teachable moments. Children are more receptive when they're engaged and enjoying themselves.

What are some of your favorite cooking "adventure" ideas to do with kids? Mine loves helping measure ingredients and mixing everything together!

My son loved helping me make cookies recently - especially as he got to lick the spoon and the bowl! He also enjoys making pizza - shaping the dough, adding toppings etc. It's a great way to teach them about measurements too as you can talk about fractions - e.g half a pepper etc. And of course they love to decorate cakes and cupcakes - fun and a great incentive for them to eat vegetables if you add some pureed ones into the frosting!

That's such a wonderful way to make learning fun and engage kids in the kitchen, which is so important these days! You've also reminded me of another great tip - sneaking in veggies into sweets. Kids learn so many essential skills from helping out in the kitchen — it definitely makes parenting easier when they're entertained by something so educational!

Reactions: koala and queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu