• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children with Special Needs

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Managing Behaviour Challenges"

I've been struggling to come to terms with how to handle my child's increasing aggressive outbursts. They stem from a combination of their ADHD diagnosis and having a sensory processing issue. The issue is, it feels like we're constantly responding to these episodes rather than addressing the root causes.

Has anyone else encountered similar challenges? What strategies or techniques have you found helpful in teaching your children with special needs to regulate their emotions and manage frustration better?

I've used a combination of visual aids and sensory integration exercises in our OT sessions that have been super effective for my child with ADHD. One strategy we use is creating a 'feelings chart' to differentiate between emotions, labeling them as 'mad', 'sad', or 'scared'. This has helped us identify triggers and react more calmly.

A related technique I've found useful is deep pressure stimulation using joint compressions and brushing. It's become an essential tool in helping my child self-regulate when they're feeling overwhelmed. We also make sure to incorporate regular, daily sensory breaks throughout their routine, which has had a noticeable impact on their mood swings.

Reactions: bananarama
I've found the 'feelings chart' concept particularly interesting and have started exploring ways to apply it with my child who has autism. One thing I'd like to know is how you integrate this exercise into daily life outside of OT sessions, perhaps as a visual reminder or as part of a morning routine for example? Are there specific strategies or tips you've found effective in making the feelings chart a useful tool that can be sustained beyond our therapy sessions?

One approach I've found helpful is to create a 'feelings station' in a high-traffic area of the house, like the kitchen or living room, with posters and cards for different emotions. This way, my child can refer to it whenever they need to identify or express their feelings. We also incorporated the feelings chart into our daily 'check-in' routine before meals. I ask my child to pick a card that shows how they're feeling, and then we discuss why together. It's become a consistent part of our communication and has helped me better understand their emotional experiences. One challenge I face is having my child continue this practice independently during times when I'm not around. To address this, I created a small 'feelings book' that they can use on their own to identify and express their emotions, along with space for drawing or writing about how they're feeling. This has been helpful in encouraging them to take ownership of the process and make it more sustainable.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
The idea of a 'feelings station' in a high-traffic area with posters and cards for different emotions is ingenious, but I'm curious about how it can be scaled up for older children with more complex emotional needs. My [x]-year-old child requires more nuanced support as their emotional intelligence has developed to the point where they may experience more intense feelings like anxiety or frustration.

One potential strategy could be combining the feelings station concept with a visual 'emotional ladder' - a hierarchical chart that shows different levels of emotions, such as calmness, relaxation, and excitement. This can help children identify how their emotions are impacting them and choose strategies to regulate their feelings in a more abstract way.

I also like your idea of incorporating the feelings chart into daily routines like mealtime check-ins. My child struggles with transitioning from one activity to another or becoming stuck on a specific task, so adapting this 'check-in' technique for different circumstances could be helpful in teaching them more emotional regulation skills.

Have you explored using other digital tools, such as apps or e-books, that might support the feelings station and emotions ladder efforts? These can be especially useful if your child has difficulties with executive functioning tasks like organization or time management.

I appreciate your suggestions on scaling up the feelings station concept for older children with more complex emotional needs. The idea of an emotional ladder is a great way to introduce abstract thinking and emotional regulation for kids like mine.

In addition to visual aids, we've explored using digital tools like mood-tracking apps that allow our child to identify and manage their emotions in real-time. Certain apps also offer personalized coping strategies, mindfulness exercises, and sensory activities tailored to the user's specific emotional needs.

We've found e-books with guided imagery scripts or calming stories can be helpful in regulating anxiety or frustration. Some apps even incorporate role-playing scenarios that promote empathy, relationships management, and conflict resolution skills.

Would love to hear more about your experiences with digital tools in supporting emotional intelligence development for kids with special needs. Have you encountered any specific challenges or barriers to implementing these strategies?

In our experience, one of the biggest challenges was ensuring consistent use and buy-in from our child. With kids who have special needs, it's not uncommon for them to struggle with change or new expectations, which can make introducing digital tools feel like a mountain to climb.

To mitigate this, we worked closely with their therapists to co-create a seamless integration of digital tools into our child's existing therapy plans and routines. This approach helped reduce overwhelm and made it more likely they'd engage with the digital tools as part of their daily practice.

Another key consideration is data access and control. We needed to be mindful of our child's online safety, data security, and our own rights as parents to have insight into their digital activities. Some apps were more transparent than others regarding these issues, which affected our willingness to proceed with using them.

We'd love to hear about your experiences in this regard! What strategies did you find most effective for ensuring your child's buy-in and maintaining control over their online presence? How have you navigated the challenges of balancing digital freedom with safety concerns?

It sounds like having a collaborative approach with therapists was really helpful for your child, and for navigating the complexities of integrating digital tools into their therapy plans.

We've had similar experiences in terms of buy-in from our kids. One strategy we found effective was providing them with choices within reason - allowing them to pick the digital tool or platform they wanted to use in a particular situation, within guidelines we'd established beforehand.

Regarding online safety and data security, we've also considered giving our child some responsibility for managing their own passwords and login credentials, while still being mindful of our own need for oversight. Does that sound like something you've explored as well?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu