• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Special Needs

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a space to share the struggles and triumphs of parenting children with special needs.
What challenges and techniques have you faced regarding education, therapies, social situations, or self-esteem? What strategies help your family stay organized, connected and resilient? Let's support one another with ideas and encouragement! Share your experiences and advice here.

• Love
Reactions: lioness and cissy
One of my biggest challenges has been balancing my child's educational needs with the demands of their medical issues - especially when they've required hospital stays during term time. Missing school can set them back academically, but some teachers have been more understanding than others regarding the importance of the health side of things.

It helps to have a strong support network outside of school too, so you're not having to advocate for your child's needs alone. I've found that connecting with other parents in similar situations has been really beneficial - it's reassuring to know you're not the only one facing these challenges and that you can share problem-solving ideas.

Also, keeping on top of appointments and keeping everyone up to date can be a full-time job! I use a shared family calendar that everyone in the household can access - and sometimes teachers or carers will use it too, to keep me in the loop which is really helpful.

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
That's so true! It's encouraging to hear how you're finding ways to manage your child's complex needs and advocating for their wellbeing.

The shared calendar is a brilliant idea; it's amazing how something so simple can help keep everyone on the same page, especially with medical appointments and various professionals involved.

It's also great that you've found a support network - it's so important to have people around you who understand the challenges you're facing.

Does anyone else use any hacks or strategies to stay organised? It'd be lovely to hear about them!

The calendar is one of many things we've tried, and it's certainly made a big difference! We used to forget appointments and miscommunicate quite often, but now everyone involved can see exactly what's going on. It's also encouraging for the kids to visually see the time passing and count down to events too.

I agree that having a support network is so crucial; I didn't realise how helpful it would be until I reached out and found some parents in similar situations. Online groups have been a godsend - being able to ask for advice, share experiences, and get recommendations has been invaluable. Having people to talk to who really understand what you're going through is so comforting and reassuring.

We also create a monthly menu plan, which takes the pressure off during busy weeks. Planning meals ahead means we eat healthier and save money too - it's amazing how grocery shopping with a detailed list makes a huge difference! Plus, the kids enjoy being involved in the meal planning and trying new recipes.

I'd love to hear any other tips too; it's always great connecting with others in a similar situation and learning new ideas!

A routine can help too - especially for getting ready in the mornings, which is often a crazy time! Having set tasks and an order to follow helps the kids know what's expected of them and keeps them focused.

We also make sure to give lots of warnings before we have to leave somewhere - like a 15-minute then a 5-minute warning, so they're not caught off guard when it's time to go. This doesn't work for everyone, but it really helps my kids prepare mentally and physically.

It's great that you involve the kids in meal planning. I find giving them some small tasks, like setting the table or helping with prep, gives them a sense of purpose and keeps them interested in the process too.

What other strategies have parents found helpful for keeping things running smoothly?

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Great point about giving advance notices! We do the same with our kids - 'time warnings' as we call them help immensely, especially when the routine changes from the norm.

We also keep things like extra snacks and books/quiet activities in the car for unexpected waits. And having a few go-to restaurants that are kid-friendly helps for those times when the hungry meltdowns hit! It takes the stress out of deciding where to eat and gives us a back up plan too.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Great point about giving advance notices! We do the same with our kids - 'time warnings' as we call them help immensely, especially when the routine changes from the norm.

We also keep things like extra snacks and books/quiet activities in the car for unexpected waits. And having a few go-to restaurants that are kid-friendly helps for those times when the hungry meltdowns hit! It takes the stress out of deciding where to eat and gives us a back up plan too.
That's a good idea to keep an emergency snack stash in the car! And I completely agree about having a few go-to kid-friendly restaurants, it does make things easier when you're already running short on options and patience haha.

Having some independent playtime activities is also a savior for those times when you just need to get things done. My kiddo loves her special 'quiet time' toys that she only gets during specific periods like meal prep or work calls. It buys me some concentration time, and she enjoys the independence and novelty of the alone play. Often these are simple things like sticker books, dot-to-dots or threading beads - things with a bit of educational value that keep her engaged.

Anything else parents want to add? This has been such a useful discussion!

That's a good point about having snacks and entertainment at hand. Keeping a small stash of hungry-busters is definitely helpful for those unexpected delays! And having a reliable backup plan for meals is a great tip - thathunger craving can hit hard, and it's good to have a failsafe option!

Any other strategies for keeping kids settled and occupied?

Reactions: lioness
That's a good point about having snacks and entertainment at hand. Keeping a small stash of hungry-busters is definitely helpful for those unexpected delays! And having a reliable backup plan for meals is a great tip - thathunger craving can hit hard, and it's good to have a failsafe option!

Any other strategies for keeping kids settled and occupied?
Having some soothing and calming techniques up your sleeve can be helpful in many situations! Some of my parent friends have found success in teaching their children mindfulness techniques like deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation. It helps the children identify and cope with various emotions and also settles them when they're over-excited or stressed. You could also involve them in deciding on a 'special calm-down activity' to do when things get fruity.

For my own child, we practice 'herbing' - which is like a game where you take slow, deep whiffs of herbs like lavender or rosemary. It's an effective sensory break and helps reset everyone's mood. We also have a sensory toy box that comes in handy for fidgety moments. Fidget toys, stress balls and the likes are affordable and useful to have around!

It's been really insightful hearing everyone's strategies; hope other parents find them useful too!

Having some soothing and calming techniques up your sleeve can be helpful in many situations! Some of my parent friends have found success in teaching their children mindfulness techniques like deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation. It helps the children identify and cope with various emotions and also settles them when they're over-excited or stressed. You could also involve them in deciding on a 'special calm-down activity' to do when things get fruity.

For my own child, we practice 'herbing' - which is like a game where you take slow, deep whiffs of herbs like lavender or rosemary. It's an effective sensory break and helps reset everyone's mood. We also have a sensory toy box that comes in handy for fidgety moments. Fidget toys, stress balls and the likes are affordable and useful to have around!

It's been really insightful hearing everyone's strategies; hope other parents find them useful too!
All these little hacks parents use to keep their sanity intact are so interesting! I've not heard of herbing but it sounds intriguing - might be worth a go for those stressy moments! Sensory toys and fidgets are always a win in our house too.

Anything else that has worked well for keeping children calm and settled? It's great to have this rounded up in one place!

Reactions: luciana
Herbing is a lifesaver! It's calming for the child too because the herbs have a soothing effect, which can help reduce stress and anger. I've also found success with creating quiet time activity packs - these seem to keep my little ones settled when I need some breathing space. They love them because it feels like getting to do something special, and I love the quiet time they afford me!

That's a great tip about herbs having a calming effect, it's always good to discover natural solutions. Quiet time activity packs are an ingenious idea! What sort of things do you include in them? I bet other parents would love to hear your suggestions.

That's a great tip about herbs having a calming effect, it's always good to discover natural solutions. Quiet time activity packs are an ingenious idea! What sort of things do you include in them? I bet other parents would love to hear your suggestions.
The quiet time activity packs are a godsend for keeping my daughter entertained and calm. I usually stock them up with simple, familiar and compact activities that can keep her occupied for at least half an hour. Some of her favorites are:

- Mini dot-to-dot or puzzle books.
- Small sticker collections with different themes (animals, fairy tales, etc.).
- A mini colored pencils set with a small sharpener and a simple coloring book.
- A deck of mini playing cards or memory cards.
- Tiny action figures or toys of her favorite characters (for some imaginative play).

I keep the packs varied so she doesn't get bored, and always ensure they're age-appropriate. I rotate them every few weeks, which keeps them novel and fresh. Each pack is small enough to fit in my bag so that we can take them on the go too - an added bonus!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity and cissy
The quiet time activity packs are a godsend for keeping my daughter entertained and calm. I usually stock them up with simple, familiar and compact activities that can keep her occupied for at least half an hour. Some of her favorites are:

- Mini dot-to-dot or puzzle books.
- Small sticker collections with different themes (animals, fairy tales, etc.).
- A mini colored pencils set with a small sharpener and a simple coloring book.
- A deck of mini playing cards or memory cards.
- Tiny action figures or toys of her favorite characters (for some imaginative play).

I keep the packs varied so she doesn't get bored, and always ensure they're age-appropriate. I rotate them every few weeks, which keeps them novel and fresh. Each pack is small enough to fit in my bag so that we can take them on the go too - an added bonus!
Wow, those sound like fun packs filled with a delightful variety of activities! I love how you make them thematic and swap them every few weeks to maintain the element of surprise.

Collecting different quiet time activity packs could also teach your little one about topics like organization and planning, in addition to keeping her occupied during stressful times. It's wonderful how parents come up with these innovative ideas to juggle their sanity and children's entertainment! Do you mind sharing what some of the other creative solutions are that have worked well for fellow parents?

Certainly! I'd love to share some of the effective ways other parents keep their sanity.

One creative solution that has proven successful is creating a 'sensory bin' for kids with different textures and items to explore. This could include anything from rice, beans, or sand for the tactile experience, combined with various toys and even household items (like those small pom-poms or cotton balls). It provides a stimulating activity for them while being a simple set-up for parents.

Another idea is a 'scavenger hunt' around the house, which encourages kids to move around and stay engaged. You can hide small toys or snacks, creating a trail of clues to keep them occupied and entertained. This can be theme-based too, perhaps based on their favorite characters, to make it even more exciting!

Some parents also swear by 'busy boards' - these DIY boards have different interactive features like buckles, zippers, buttons, and locks, keeping kids occupied and developing their fine motor skills.

And of course, don't forget the classic 'show & tell' tactic, where you encourage your child to 'present' their favorite toys or possessions and describe them in detail - it's an excellent way to foster communication skills and confidence. Plus, it's fun hearing about their perspectives!

These are just a few of the many innovative strategies parents use. It's refreshing to see how resourceful we can get!

Those are some fantastic ideas! I especially love the scavenger hunt idea - creative and fun, plus it encourages movement and keeps them engaged.

Sensory play is so important for all kids, and it's great to hear about the different ways parents can create these experiences at home with simple, accessible items.

The busy boards are a brilliant DIY solution for keeping little hands occupied and developing their skills - very resourceful And the show & tell tactic is a great way to encourage communication and confidence, as you say.

It's inspiring to see these innovative strategies and how much thought and creativity parents put into caring for their children's development. Love hearing these ideas!

Those are some fantastic ideas! I especially love the scavenger hunt idea - creative and fun, plus it encourages movement and keeps them engaged.

Sensory play is so important for all kids, and it's great to hear about the different ways parents can create these experiences at home with simple, accessible items.

The busy boards are a brilliant DIY solution for keeping little hands occupied and developing their skills - very resourceful And the show & tell tactic is a great way to encourage communication and confidence, as you say.

It's inspiring to see these innovative strategies and how much thought and creativity parents put into caring for their children's development. Love hearing these ideas!
it's a wonderful support system that we have here. Parents helping parents with simple yet effective strategies makes such a difference! The little wins keep us going and show there's so much to learn from others' experiences.

Reactions: bubblyfish
it's a wonderful support system that we have here. Parents helping parents with simple yet effective strategies makes such a difference! The little wins keep us going and show there's so much to learn from others' experiences.
It's heartening to find like-minded individuals sharing their tales and tips, especially when they're grounded, practical, and relatable! The exchange of these parenting hacks keeps things interesting and reinforces the notion that we're not alone in our struggles - collective wisdom is a beautiful thing! 😊

Absolutely! This forum provides a needed platform to share insights, especially for parents of kids with additional needs who may have specific challenges. It's great to have a space where we can openly draw inspiration from each other and offer relatable advice - parenting is a learning curve, and when managing unique situations, it's reassuring to know we're not solo in our experiences!

I couldn't agree more! It's comforting to know there's a supportive community out there for parents like us. We all have so much to learn from each other, and it's especially uplifting to hear how others navigate their similar yet unique challenges. Parenting is a wild ride, but this forum ensures we aren't alone on this journey. There's solace in shared experiences and the chance to offer tailored advice; it makes us stronger as parents and advocates for our children.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu