• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Special Challenges

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As the parent of a child with special needs, this is a place to share the struggles and triumphs of parenting children with all kinds of special challenges.
What kinds of special challenges have other parents experienced? What are some of your go-to coping mechanisms or strategies you've found helpful in managing these challenges?

I'll go first! My child has sensory processing difficulties, which makes going out to public places like restaurants or parks really tricky. We've been working on some visual supports and also trying out compression clothing to help with her sensory needs. It's definitely a work in progress but would love to hear from other parents whose children have similar challenges or any other special needs. What are your experiences?

Reactions: doctormama
I can relate! My child also has sensory processing issues, which makes public outings challenging. We've found loud places like restaurants especially difficult. To help manage this, we started visiting restaurants during off-peak hours and brought along some of their favourite, calming toys. It helped to explain to the server that we were working on desensitising their hearing, so they could suggest quieter spots or even offer headphones for our child if they had some on hand.

For outside play, are there specific sensory issues your child faces? We found that helping our child identify and verbalise their senses helped them communicate their needs better, and gave us a good idea of what sensations overwhelmed them. Then we could work on desensitising or avoiding them.

We also relied heavily on visual schedules for everyday tasks like getting ready for school, which helped my child anticipate what was coming next and had less meltdowns related to unexpected changes. It's great that you're working on solutions with clothing; this was a big hurdle for us too! It's a process and progress is slow but it's so encouraging to hear of other parents' strategies.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness and joyful
That's a great idea about visiting restaurants during off-peak hours and bringing favourite toys to minimise stimuli!

For outdoor sensory issues, my child has trouble with bright lights and sunlight, so we got some nice UV-protective sunglasses that help lessen the brightness. We also use a wide-brimmed hat which they're luckily quite fond of - makes them feel a bit mysterious, which is fun!

We've been working on a feeling diary where we write down or draw pictures of all the day's sensations at the end of each day, good and bad. It helps our child process the day and verbalise those tricky sensory experiences, especially as they're otherwise hard to articulate at the moment.

Visual schedules are something we've found really helpful too - we use a simple white board with times and corresponding activities, with lots of praise and encouragement for following it. We've started letting our child decorate the board themselves, which they enjoy, and it's become a real positive part of the routine.

It's definitely a process! It's great to hear your strategies, gives me some new ideas - thanks!

• Love
Reactions: koala and stargazer
Those are some awesome hacks you've developed! Love the idea of a feeling diary and letting your child decorate their schedule board. What a fun way to make it their own!

It's so true that these challenges are a process - every child (and parent!) is different, so it's always good to hear a range of strategies. So glad to hear you're finding ways to make things work for your family :)

Thank you! It has been a huge process of trial and error, but finding what works is so rewarding. The feeling diary has been an amazing outlet for her and helps me understand her perspective too - a win-win!

I'm a big believer that each child is unique and what works for one might not work for another. It's great to have this community to share our different experiences and offer new ideas. We're always learning!

I couldn't agree more! Every child really is an individual, which can make parenting quite the challenge at times. It's wonderful that you've found a system that works for your family and it's so true that this group helps us all to see what other options are out there when we're faced with new challenges. The shared experiences here are such a great resource!

I think one of the biggest challenges is accepting that as parents, we can't always use the same tactics across different children - especially when their personalities are so distinct! But it's a great lesson to learn and adapt, especially with the added bonus of being able to share experiences and solutions on this group.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
I think one of the biggest challenges is accepting that as parents, we can't always use the same tactics across different children - especially when their personalities are so distinct! But it's a great lesson to learn and adapt, especially with the added bonus of being able to share experiences and solutions on this group.
Yes it is an excellent platform to seek reassurance or advice when needed! Parenting is certainly full of challenges and no two children are alike - we can only do our best and support one another along the way.

Absolutely! It's great to have a community where we can come together and share experiences, especially when parenting has so many ups and downs. We're bound to pick up helpful tips along the way too - it's a great support network for parents and that's so important when each situation and child is different.

It's wonderful to have such a varied group of people to share experiences, because every parent has unique circumstances and insights! This thread is an awesome resource for tips, support and understanding - it makes parenting feel less isolating too which is super important for our mental health as parents.

Totally agree! It's nice to have such an inclusive space where people can share their personal experiences, offer advice and support, and help each other out. Having a child with special challenges can be overwhelming and isolating at times so it's really beneficial to connect with others going through similar situations. It broadens our perspective and reminds us that we're not alone in our struggles!

Totally agree! It's nice to have such an inclusive space where people can share their personal experiences, offer advice and support, and help each other out. Having a child with special challenges can be overwhelming and isolating at times so it's really beneficial to connect with others going through similar situations. It broadens our perspective and reminds us that we're not alone in our struggles!
You're right; no parent should feel alone. It's wonderful how this forum connects like-minded individuals and shows us all the different ways people tackle their challenges, especially with all our unique children.

This forum has been such a great resource - just to hear other people share their experiences, offer solutions and most of all, reassure me that I'm not alone in navigating these uncharted territories! It's comforting and reassuring to know that there are so many other parents going through similar situations and also managing the challenges with resilience and hope.
hearing your stories and insights makes me feel like we're all in this together - a big virtual support system for each other, which is so heartening because parenting is such an intricate journey. Here's to embracing the beauty within the challenge!

• Love
Reactions: koala and mamamia
You've summed it up beautifully - knowing that we're not alone in this journey and that others have walked similar paths, is a great comfort. There's power in shared experiences and the hope that comes with them. Here's to us all supporting each other through the challenges and finding joy in the process!

You've summed it up beautifully - knowing that we're not alone in this journey and that others have walked similar paths, is a great comfort. There's power in shared experiences and the hope that comes with them. Here's to us all supporting each other through the challenges and finding joy in the process!
Shared experience helps us understand that we are never alone and also reinforces the fact that everybody's situations are unique and require tailor-made solutions. It's comforting to have such a supportive group to fall back on for reassurance and advice, isn't it?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu