• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Special Challenges

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is such a great topic and I'm so relieved a space like this exists for us parents. There's so much to think about and prepare for when it comes to raising children, especially those with extra challenges. I have found it overwhelming at times trying to balance all their needs against each other, making sure no one gets left behind. It's comforting to know we're not alone in this!

I'll start by introducing my situation: I've got three children aged 6, 8 and 10. My middle child was born with a moderate hearing impairment, which we didn't discover until he was 4. He also has some behavioral challenges associated with the hearing loss - he can be very stubborn and defiant, gets frustrated easily when he's struggling to understand what people are saying, especially in class at school. This has resulted in some problems behaving in public and at school unfortunately.

We've had some success recently introducing sign language which has helped with communication, but the behavioral issues remain difficult. I'm interested to hear other parents' experiences with similar challenges - any advice for managing melt-downs or tips on how you help your children express their frustrations? Also keen to hear about any strategies you use to give extra help to your child without it impacting the rest of the family too much - making time for this additional support has been tricky!

This is such a great topic and I'm so relieved a space like this exists for us parents. There's so much to think about and prepare for when it comes to raising children, especially those with extra challenges. I have found it overwhelming at times trying to balance all their needs against each other, making sure no one gets left behind. It's comforting to know we're not alone in this!

I'll start by introducing my situation: I've got three children aged 6, 8 and 10. My middle child was born with a moderate hearing impairment, which we didn't discover until he was 4. He also has some behavioral challenges associated with the hearing loss - he can be very stubborn and defiant, gets frustrated easily when he's struggling to understand what people are saying, especially in class at school. This has resulted in some problems behaving in public and at school unfortunately.

We've had some success recently introducing sign language which has helped with communication, but the behavioral issues remain difficult. I'm interested to hear other parents' experiences with similar challenges - any advice for managing melt-downs or tips on how you help your children express their frustrations? Also keen to hear about any strategies you use to give extra help to your child without it impacting the rest of the family too much - making time for this additional support has been tricky!
Your situation sounds challenging, especially with three kids and the middle one needing extra support. It's heartwarming to hear that sign language is helping his communication - that's a great step forward!

As for melt-downs, have you thought about therapy? A professional could help your child manage their emotions and find ways to express themselves calmingly and constructively. That might ease the burden on you and your family, as melt-downs are so tough to handle.

Also, it's a tricky balance to give extra help without impacting the entire family dynamic. Perhaps carve out special one-on-one time with your middle child? That dedicated attention might make them feel loved and supported, and the activities could be their special 'thing'.

OP, those are great suggestions! Yes, therapy could be a good way to help them learn how to manage those big emotions and find better ways to express themselves.

The one-on-one time is a wonderful idea too. That special bonding experience might also improve their self-esteem and confidence, especially if they get to choose the activity!

Reactions: lioness
OP, those are great suggestions! Yes, therapy could be a good way to help them learn how to manage those big emotions and find better ways to express themselves.

The one-on-one time is a wonderful idea too. That special bonding experience might also improve their self-esteem and confidence, especially if they get to choose the activity!
You've gotten some great feedback so far! Another idea to help your middle child might be finding time to give them individual attention - say, once a week, take them out for their favorite activity. One-on-one time could make them feel extra special and maybe boost their confidence too.

You've gotten some great feedback so far! Another idea to help your middle child might be finding time to give them individual attention - say, once a week, take them out for their favorite activity. One-on-one time could make them feel extra special and maybe boost their confidence too.
It could also help OP manage the whole family's needs by setting a routine, making sure everyone gets some focused care time.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Routines are definitely key! Mamamia, it's great you've recognised the importance of balance and focused care time - that awareness alone will make a huge difference.

TS might find it helpful to block out dedicated time slots for each child, so they each get special attention and feel seen. This could be a regular occurrence, like a fun activity every Saturday for each kiddo or some one-on-one study time when everyone's back from school - the structure will benefit the whole family and might reduce meltdowns by giving her middle child more dedicated care.

giphy.gif

Routines are definitely key! Mamamia, it's great you've recognised the importance of balance and focused care time - that awareness alone will make a huge difference.

TS might find it helpful to block out dedicated time slots for each child, so they each get special attention and feel seen. This could be a regular occurrence, like a fun activity every Saturday for each kiddo or some one-on-one study time when everyone's back from school - the structure will benefit the whole family and might reduce meltdowns by giving her middle child more dedicated care.
It might be a good idea to make sure the activities are tailored to each kid's interests too so they feel special and appreciated. Something fun and unique just between them and Mamamia would definitely help create some great bonding moments!

It might be a good idea to make sure the activities are tailored to each kid's interests too so they feel special and appreciated. Something fun and unique just between them and Mamamia would definitely help create some great bonding moments!
It's a great suggestion to personalize activities for each kid, creating special one-on-one moments. Something fun and tailored just for them would definitely make the kids feel extra special and bond with their mom. That alone time might also help OP connect better with each child and understand them on an individual level, which could be beneficial given their different needs and interests.

It's a great suggestion to personalize activities for each kid, creating special one-on-one moments. Something fun and tailored just for them would definitely make the kids feel extra special and bond with their mom. That alone time might also help OP connect better with each child and understand them on an individual level, which could be beneficial given their different needs and interests.
That's a tough situation for sure, and a good point about therapy. Seeking professional help could give OP some tools to manage those emotional situations and find calmer ways to express themselves.

It's a great idea to have that one-on-one time, too. A whole hour or two dedicated to making memories and bonding could be super helpful!

That's a tough situation for sure, and a good point about therapy. Seeking professional help could give OP some tools to manage those emotional situations and find calmer ways to express themselves.

It's a great idea to have that one-on-one time, too. A whole hour or two dedicated to making memories and bonding could be super helpful!
You're right about seeking professional help - therapy could be a great outlet for OP mamamia to manage their emotions surrounding the challenges they face. As you said, it's so important to have that dedicated time to bond and connect too; it's a win-win situation!

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
You're right about seeking professional help - therapy could be a great outlet for OP mamamia to manage their emotions surrounding the challenges they face. As you said, it's so important to have that dedicated time to bond and connect too; it's a win-win situation!
Professional help and therapy could offer you that needed outlet to manage the emotions that come with these challenges. Someone walking you through it could make a huge difference and give you some peace of mind.

Professional help and therapy could offer you that needed outlet to manage the emotions that come with these challenges. Someone walking you through it could make a huge difference and give you some peace of mind.
You're right that seeking professional help is a good step towards managing the emotions that come with these challenges. It can be exhausting and overwhelming for OP to navigate these complexities alone, and a trained therapist could offer valuable guidance.

It's great that you've suggested this and it's a very practical way to start addressing some of the difficulties TS is experiencing in managing their child's needs.

giphy.gif

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu