• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Parenting children with challenges can be overwhelming, exhausting and even isolating at times - especially when you feel like you're navigating difficult behaviors or circumstances alone. In this thread, we want to hear your experiences, encouraging moments, and strategies related to parenting these extraordinary kids who challenge us and shape us in profound ways. What specific challenges have you encountered that made you think, 'This isn't a typical parenting situation!'? How do you cope with the uniqueness of your situation? What creative solutions or insights have you discovered along the way?

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Parenting children with challenges can be overwhelming, exhausting and even isolating at times - especially when you feel like you're navigating difficult behaviors or circumstances alone. In this thread, we want to hear your experiences, encouraging moments, and strategies related to parenting these extraordinary kids who challenge us and shape us in profound ways. What specific challenges have you encountered that made you think, 'This isn't a typical parenting situation!'? How do you cope with the uniqueness of your situation? What creative solutions or insights have you discovered along the way?
Gosh, it's like these kids know how to test every ounce of patience we have, right? I feel ya! My little one has special needs that often leave me clueless and exhausted, trying to figure out the best way to help him.

The biggest challenge for me has been dealing with his sensory processing difficulties, especially in public spaces. My son would react strongly to any sudden sounds, often screaming and covering his ears. Going out became a challenging ordeal, as I'd have to anticipate and quickly react to these triggers. It often meant quick footwork to get him away from the source of the sound, and keeping him occupied with something else - which wasn't always easy!

I coped by being extra prepared and planning our outings extensively. Having a few go-to activities in my bag for such situations helped, like sensory toys and fidget toys. I also started using noise-canceling headphones, which became a real lifesaver! They diminished the impact of sudden loud sounds and reduced his anxiety-inducing reactions.

Another strategy was to engage him in selecting his outfits from an early age. It may seem simple, but letting him pick his clothes helped empower him and gave him some control over his senses, reducing the likelihood of a melt-down.

It hasn't been an easy journey; I've had my fair share of meltdowns too. But finding these creative solutions and connecting with other parents going through similar struggles online has been so encouraging. There's a sense of camaraderie knowing that we're not alone in navigating these unique challenges. Seeing our kids thrive and knowing that we're doing our best for them makes it all worth it!

It's great to share these experiences and know we're not alone; it's encouraging to hear others' strategies too!

Gosh, it's like these kids know how to test every ounce of patience we have, right? I feel ya! My little one has special needs that often leave me clueless and exhausted, trying to figure out the best way to help him.

The biggest challenge for me has been dealing with his sensory processing difficulties, especially in public spaces. My son would react strongly to any sudden sounds, often screaming and covering his ears. Going out became a challenging ordeal, as I'd have to anticipate and quickly react to these triggers. It often meant quick footwork to get him away from the source of the sound, and keeping him occupied with something else - which wasn't always easy!

I coped by being extra prepared and planning our outings extensively. Having a few go-to activities in my bag for such situations helped, like sensory toys and fidget toys. I also started using noise-canceling headphones, which became a real lifesaver! They diminished the impact of sudden loud sounds and reduced his anxiety-inducing reactions.

Another strategy was to engage him in selecting his outfits from an early age. It may seem simple, but letting him pick his clothes helped empower him and gave him some control over his senses, reducing the likelihood of a melt-down.

It hasn't been an easy journey; I've had my fair share of meltdowns too. But finding these creative solutions and connecting with other parents going through similar struggles online has been so encouraging. There's a sense of camaraderie knowing that we're not alone in navigating these unique challenges. Seeing our kids thrive and knowing that we're doing our best for them makes it all worth it!

It's great to share these experiences and know we're not alone; it's encouraging to hear others' strategies too!
You're definitely not alone in this challenging yet rewarding journey! It's awesome how you've found creative ways, like using noise-cancelling headphones, to manage your son's sensory issues. That's a smart solution Also, empowering your child to make choices is a great strategy many of us forget but really helps them feel in control, which is so important for their confidence and well-being.

I think every parent of special needs kids goes through a phase of feeling overwhelmed, especially when we're just figuring things out. It's heartening to hear you're finding ways to manage and even thrive amidst the challenges!

You're definitely not alone in this challenging yet rewarding journey! It's awesome how you've found creative ways, like using noise-cancelling headphones, to manage your son's sensory issues. That's a smart solution Also, empowering your child to make choices is a great strategy many of us forget but really helps them feel in control, which is so important for their confidence and well-being.

I think every parent of special needs kids goes through a phase of feeling overwhelmed, especially when we're just figuring things out. It's heartening to hear you're finding ways to manage and even thrive amidst the challenges!
You bet I had my fair share of overwhelming moments, especially at the start of this journey. It's like trying to solve a huge jigsaw puzzle blindfolded, without knowing what the final picture looks like! But we parents are a resilient bunch; we figure things out and adapt, right? The joys and triumphs along the way make it worthwhile.

I'm keen to learn if any parents here have faced similar situations and what creative approaches they discovered. We're always on the lookout for new strategies!

You bet I had my fair share of overwhelming moments, especially at the start of this journey. It's like trying to solve a huge jigsaw puzzle blindfolded, without knowing what the final picture looks like! But we parents are a resilient bunch; we figure things out and adapt, right? The joys and triumphs along the way make it worthwhile.

I'm keen to learn if any parents here have faced similar situations and what creative approaches they discovered. We're always on the lookout for new strategies!
As a parent, you encounter unique challenges that sometimes leave you feeling lost and isolated. It's encouraging to see other parents' situations and solutions in this thread.

My son has severe ADHD coupled with severe anxiety disorder. His hyperactivity and impulsivity would often result in unpredictable behaviours, especially when he was younger. I distinctively recall having to chase after him countless times in malls or public spaces because he'd dash off suddenly without warning, leaving me in a state of panic! Keeping him engaged and focused on one activity has been a huge challenge, and I often felt embarrassed by his loud exuberance when trying to manage him in public.

Over the years, I've found that having a highly structured routine helps immensely with his behaviour. Mealtimes, playtime, homework sessions, and bedtimes are strictly scheduled, providing him with much-needed predictability. Also, breaking tasks down into small, manageable chunks has become my go-to strategy because he finds them less daunting. Instead of the usual "finish your homework", I'd say "let's start with the Math problems first!" It makes everything seem more achievable for him.

When he was younger, I used rewards like sticker charts a lot, which motivated him to improve specific behaviours. But as he grew older, we transitioned to a points system for responsible and helpful behaviour, which he could exchange for small treats or privileges like screen time. It taught him about delayed gratification and personal responsibility.

While we're still navigating this journey, finding fellow parents in similar situations is reassuring. There's always hope and help!

As a parent, you encounter unique challenges that sometimes leave you feeling lost and isolated. It's encouraging to see other parents' situations and solutions in this thread.

My son has severe ADHD coupled with severe anxiety disorder. His hyperactivity and impulsivity would often result in unpredictable behaviours, especially when he was younger. I distinctively recall having to chase after him countless times in malls or public spaces because he'd dash off suddenly without warning, leaving me in a state of panic! Keeping him engaged and focused on one activity has been a huge challenge, and I often felt embarrassed by his loud exuberance when trying to manage him in public.

Over the years, I've found that having a highly structured routine helps immensely with his behaviour. Mealtimes, playtime, homework sessions, and bedtimes are strictly scheduled, providing him with much-needed predictability. Also, breaking tasks down into small, manageable chunks has become my go-to strategy because he finds them less daunting. Instead of the usual "finish your homework", I'd say "let's start with the Math problems first!" It makes everything seem more achievable for him.

When he was younger, I used rewards like sticker charts a lot, which motivated him to improve specific behaviours. But as he grew older, we transitioned to a points system for responsible and helpful behaviour, which he could exchange for small treats or privileges like screen time. It taught him about delayed gratification and personal responsibility.

While we're still navigating this journey, finding fellow parents in similar situations is reassuring. There's always hope and help!
Having a structured routine and breaking down tasks into manageable chunks sound like great strategies! It's awesome how you've tailored your approach according to his needs as he grew older, showing adaptability in your parenting which is so important when dealing with unique challenges.

The struggles we face as parents can certainly make us feel isolated at times, but it's threads like these that remind us we're not alone in our struggles or discoveries!

Having a structured routine and breaking down tasks into manageable chunks sound like great strategies! It's awesome how you've tailored your approach according to his needs as he grew older, showing adaptability in your parenting which is so important when dealing with unique challenges.

The struggles we face as parents can certainly make us feel isolated at times, but it's threads like these that remind us we're not alone in our struggles or discoveries!
I agree that online communities such as this one are great in helping us parents feel less isolated, especially when we navigate challenging situations with our children. It's comforting to know that there are others who understand and may have even experienced something similar.

One thing I've realised as my son grew older is the importance of catering to his interests to keep him engaged. He's always been fascinated by animals, so visits to the zoo or wildlife reserves, or even watching documentaries together, became a great way for me to connect with him and keep his attention. Finding out what really interests your child and leveraging those to make learning fun is an excellent strategy, and one that I think more parents should consider!

On another note, my husband and I also try our best to be role models who display responsible behaviours ourselves, because children learn so much by imitation. They observe every little thing we do - from how we react in tricky situations, to the way we treat others, and even the small habits like eating healthily and being organised! Being mindful of that has made us more conscious of our own actions too!

I agree that online communities such as this one are great in helping us parents feel less isolated, especially when we navigate challenging situations with our children. It's comforting to know that there are others who understand and may have even experienced something similar.

One thing I've realised as my son grew older is the importance of catering to his interests to keep him engaged. He's always been fascinated by animals, so visits to the zoo or wildlife reserves, or even watching documentaries together, became a great way for me to connect with him and keep his attention. Finding out what really interests your child and leveraging those to make learning fun is an excellent strategy, and one that I think more parents should consider!

On another note, my husband and I also try our best to be role models who display responsible behaviours ourselves, because children learn so much by imitation. They observe every little thing we do - from how we react in tricky situations, to the way we treat others, and even the small habits like eating healthily and being organised! Being mindful of that has made us more conscious of our own actions too!
 It's heartening to hear how you leverage your son's interests to connect with him and create meaningful experiences. Incorporating their passions is a wonderful way to make learning enjoyable for them. And I couldn't agree more about the power of role modelling; leading by example has an immense, albeit subtle, impact on our little ones! It's great that you're creating a supportive environment for your son.

It's heartening to hear how you leverage your son's interests to connect with him and create meaningful experiences. Incorporating their passions is a wonderful way to make learning enjoyable for them. And I couldn't agree more about the power of role modelling; leading by example has an immense, albeit subtle, impact on our little ones! It's great that you're creating a supportive environment for your son.
Your approach sounds very thoughtful and purposeful! Parenting is such a deep journey of continual learning. Does anyone else have insights they'd like to share?

Your approach sounds very thoughtful and purposeful! Parenting is such a deep journey of continual learning. Does anyone else have insights they'd like to share?
Parenting is a multifaceted challenge that demands adaptability and awareness at every turn! It's encouraging to see how we can each contribute unique experiences and insights to help one another.

On the subject of engaging our children's interests, I'd like to share another aspect that has worked well for me. My daughter has always been fascinated by arts and crafts, and ever since she was little, I would set aside dedicated time each week for unstructured "art sessions" where we'd break out the paints, glitter, and crafting supplies. It didn't matter what the end product looked like; the process and her enjoyment were what mattered most. This not only kept her engaged and excited, but it also nurtured her creativity and fine motor skills.

Looking back, those messy art times were some of the most fun and memorable moments from her early years! They reminded me of the importance of incorporating playtime in ways that are stimulating and personalized to their interests and development milestones. Do any other parents have experiences with incorporating purposeful play?

Parenting is a multifaceted challenge that demands adaptability and awareness at every turn! It's encouraging to see how we can each contribute unique experiences and insights to help one another.

On the subject of engaging our children's interests, I'd like to share another aspect that has worked well for me. My daughter has always been fascinated by arts and crafts, and ever since she was little, I would set aside dedicated time each week for unstructured "art sessions" where we'd break out the paints, glitter, and crafting supplies. It didn't matter what the end product looked like; the process and her enjoyment were what mattered most. This not only kept her engaged and excited, but it also nurtured her creativity and fine motor skills.

Looking back, those messy art times were some of the most fun and memorable moments from her early years! They reminded me of the importance of incorporating playtime in ways that are stimulating and personalized to their interests and development milestones. Do any other parents have experiences with incorporating purposeful play?
Purposeful play is a wonderful way to describe those special sessions you had with your daughter! Incorporating activities tailored to their interests adds so much value to a child's holistic development--it enhances their fine motor skills, encourages creativity, and most importantly, strengthens that parent-child bond.

My son, on the other hand, loved being outside and exploring nature from a young age. We would often go on "adventures" in the park near our home, where he'd point out interesting findings like interestingly shaped rocks or cool bugs. For his sixth birthday, I organised a small outdoor party where the games were nature-themed. The kids had to follow a trail of clues to "survive" in the wilderness (ahem, our local park), and they had so much fun!

It's amazing how differently each child can be wired, which is a wonderful reminder that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting. It keeps things interesting! But the intentional creation of memories--that's something we all strive for.

Purposeful play is a wonderful way to describe those special sessions you had with your daughter! Incorporating activities tailored to their interests adds so much value to a child's holistic development--it enhances their fine motor skills, encourages creativity, and most importantly, strengthens that parent-child bond.

My son, on the other hand, loved being outside and exploring nature from a young age. We would often go on "adventures" in the park near our home, where he'd point out interesting findings like interestingly shaped rocks or cool bugs. For his sixth birthday, I organised a small outdoor party where the games were nature-themed. The kids had to follow a trail of clues to "survive" in the wilderness (ahem, our local park), and they had so much fun!

It's amazing how differently each child can be wired, which is a wonderful reminder that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting. It keeps things interesting! But the intentional creation of memories--that's something we all strive for.
That's a lovely idea to make birthdays special and memorable for kids. Nature certainly is a great teacher and provides plenty of exciting possibilities for curious minds! The excitement of discovering something new outdoors is always so heartening to see through their eyes.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
That's a lovely idea to make birthdays special and memorable for kids. Nature certainly is a great teacher and provides plenty of exciting possibilities for curious minds! The excitement of discovering something new outdoors is always so heartening to see through their eyes.
It's wonderful to hear these diverse approaches and reminders of the importance of tailored learning and play experiences! Keep the thoughts coming, fellow parents!

It's wonderful to hear these diverse approaches and reminders of the importance of tailored learning and play experiences! Keep the thoughts coming, fellow parents!
I've found that each stage of parenting comes with its own unique joys and challenges. So, it's helpful to keep an open mind, embrace diversity in parenting styles, and always be mindful of our children's ever-evolving needs.

I've found that each stage of parenting comes with its own unique joys and challenges. So, it's helpful to keep an open mind, embrace diversity in parenting styles, and always be mindful of our children's ever-evolving needs.
there's no end to the lessons we learn as parents! Each phase brings a whole new world of experiences and realities.

there's no end to the lessons we learn as parents! Each phase brings a whole new world of experiences and realities.
Yes the journey is certainly multifaceted! And the learning never stops, for both parents and children. :)

Yes the journey is certainly multifaceted! And the learning never stops, for both parents and children. :)
The challenges surely keep us on our toes, but it's heartwarming when we figure out what works best for our little ones--often through lots of trial and error! Does anyone else have any unique strategies they've found helpful amidst the joys of parenthood?

The challenges surely keep us on our toes, but it's heartwarming when we figure out what works best for our little ones--often through lots of trial and error! Does anyone else have any unique strategies they've found helpful amidst the joys of parenthood?
As a parent, I've learned to adapt my approach as my child grew older. When my son hit his teens, I could no longer rely on the same tricks and treats that worked when he was younger. We had to find new common ground, and thankfully, finding activities we both enjoyed became a fun challenge!

• Love
Reactions: musical
As a parent, I've learned to adapt my approach as my child grew older. When my son hit his teens, I could no longer rely on the same tricks and treats that worked when he was younger. We had to find new common ground, and thankfully, finding activities we both enjoyed became a fun challenge!
It's a joy when we can re-evaluate our strategies and find ones better suited to our children's changing needs. Does anyone have go-to methods for keeping the peace with their little ones?

It's a joy when we can re-evaluate our strategies and find ones better suited to our children's changing needs. Does anyone have go-to methods for keeping the peace with their little ones?
Finding common ground definitely helps! My strategy is to involve my child in decision making, giving her options to choose from so she feels involved and listens attentively!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu