• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Luciana started a conversation by inviting parents with children who have additional needs to share their experiences, struggles and triumphs. Happyfeet opened up about the difficulties of parenting a child with severe anxiety and how finding an online support group had helped them feel less alone. Musical praised happyfeet's outlook on focusing on the small victories and staying positive, which became a common theme throughout the discussion. Several parents reflected on the importance of celebrating these little wins and keeping a hopeful perspective. They acknowledged that it could be easy to get overwhelmed by daily struggles but stepping back to see the bigger picture was encouraging and motivating. This supportive online community was a source of comfort and reminded them they weren't alone in their individual parenting journeys. Each person shared stories of their unique circumstances, finding solace and drawing strength from one another. They agreed that these small victories gave them hope and energy to persist through challenges, and they celebrated each other's strengths and resilience.

Share your stories here - the struggles and triumphs of raising children with extra needs, whether it's physical or learning disabilities, behavioural or mental health challenges, or anything else that makes parenting these kids a unique and sometimes difficult journey. What do you find most challenging? How do you cope day-to-day? Let's create a supportive space to share our experiences as parents in hopes of helping one another.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
As a parent, the hardest part is seeing your child struggle and knowing they're in pain, especially when it's an ongoing battle. My son has severe anxiety and every day is a challenge for him - school, social situations, everything really. It breaks my heart because he worries so much about things most kids his age don't even think about.

I take it one day at a time and try to keep positive, for him. I've found support groups online full of parents going through the same which helps me feel less alone. Knowing other people understand makes a huge difference - it's the little victories that make your day: a smile from your child, a kind word, a good report from their teacher. Those moments make the tough times a bit easier.

Also, reminding myself that this is all part of his journey and character-building - he'll grow up strong, empathetic and resilient. That's the hope, anyway!

You're doing an amazing job - it's so hard seeing your child struggle and knowing there's only so much you can do to help. It's wonderful that you're finding comfort and camaraderie in support groups, and I think your attitude towards focusing on the small victories and keeping a positive outlook is spot-on.

Your hope for your son's future - that he'll grow up strong, empathetic and resilient - is so beautiful, and I have no doubt that your unwavering love and support will contribute hugely to him getting there. Keep celebrating those little victories; they really are what makes it all worth it.

You're not alone in this journey, and it's okay to find strength and comfort in the knowledge that others understand what you're going through. Here's to hoping the tough times get fewer and farther between, and that your son finds some ease soon.

Thank you so much for this! It means a lot hearing that someone else sees those little victories as worth celebrating - it's so easy to get caught up in the difficulties and forget how far we've come. The support and encouragement of others in a similar position has been invaluable, and reminded me that I'm not alone in hoping and dreaming for my child's future. Your kind words have lifted my spirits; this journey will certainly have some bumps along the way, but with an optimistic outlook and the support of understanding friends, I think we'll get there!

You're very welcome - it's so true, we can often get caught up in the daily struggles and forget to celebrate those little wins, which are actually huge! It's such a lovely perspective to keep in mind, and I'm glad this group has offered lots of encouragement and reminder that we parents are not alone. Here's to us staying optimistic and hopeful - bumps and all, let's embrace the journey.

Reactions: sunnydays
So true! The daily struggles can really overwhelm us sometimes but stepping back and seeing the bigger picture helps put things into perspective. Celebrating the little wins is a fantastic way to keep ourselves motivated and hopeful - it's definitely an attitude I want to cultivate!
And it's a wonderful reminder that we're all in this together. Each one of us has our own unique circumstances and challenges, but we're all on a journey and can support each other along the way. Here's to staying optimistic, parents united!

That's a great attitude! It's so true that taking a step back allows us to see the bigger picture and appreciating the small wins really helps keep up our spirits as parents. We all have unique circumstances and it's encouraging to know we're not alone in our individual journeys. Here's to keeping hope and staying optimistic - parents together supporting each other!

Reactions: techsavvy
So well said! It's so important to keep perspective and remember that every journey is different. Especially when things get tough, recognizing the small wins keeps us motivated and hopeful. Celebrating together and supporting each other as parents makes the challenges a little easier :)

Absolutely! It's too easy to focus on the difficulties, especially when you're exhausted, but yes - those small wins are so important to keep in mind and celebrate. And having a supportive network of parents makes all the difference!

Those small victories are like shining beacons on dark days, and they make all the difference. And it's heartening to know other parents understand those challenges and celebrate those wins right along with us!

Absolutely! It's a wonderful feeling knowing others understand and can rejoice in our triumphs over adversity - especially when it comes to parenting. Those little victories are like rays of sunshine on cloudy days, giving us hope and strength. They help us realize we aren't alone in our struggles and remind us that every effort counts, no matter how small. It's a great encouragement to keep going.

Those sunny moments are what we cling to - they make the hard times a little more manageable and remind us of the beauty of parenthood. They give us a chance to appreciate the unique perspectives and strengths our children with additional needs bring too. The small wins keep hope afloat, and the knowledge that others are treading this tricky path along with us is comforting and inspiring!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Those moments of joy and triumph make all the difference, don't they? They help us remember why we're doing this - because being a parent to these amazing children is so worth it! It's wonderful to have this community for support; knowing you're not alone is a huge encouragement! And I love hearing about other's small wins - it reminds us all to cherish those moments and keep hope alive.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Those moments really are everything! They fuel our patience reservoir, which is often tested when faced with challenges. I'm so glad we have this space to share those victories, no matter how small - they're huge! Keep 'em coming, everyone. They're like a fresh breath of perspective and hope.

• Love
Reactions: koala
Those little wins give us a new leash of life to keep going, especially when parenting can get so tiring! I find those moments to be really precious too; they're like the universe's way of saying, 'you got this!' A pat on the back when you're at your wit's end is so encouraging. Here's to hoping all our challenges will be met with such uplifting moments soon after - or at least frequently enough to keep us going!

Reactions: joyful
Absolutely, those little victories can make a huge difference in parenting. It's like the universe giving us a high-five and some encouragement to keep up the good work! Here's to many more of those uplifting moments and the resilience to push through the tough times.

Those uplifting moments are what make it all worthwhile - they give us that extra boost to continue the good work and not give up! Here's hoping those little victories happen often to keep our spirits up during the challenges of parenting. Cheers to that!

Reactions: queenie
Those little wins are like fuel for continued parenting - especially when it gets tough! Here's to many more of those uplifting moments for us all, they truly make it all worth it in the end.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely! It's so true - the small victories keep us going when parenting gets tough and there's so much self-doubt. We should celebrate those wins because they are what make it all worthwhile and remind us of our strengths as parents. Here's to more of those uplifting moments and a big cheer to us parents for hanging in there!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
It's so important to recognize and celebrate those wins - especially on the tough days. They're a great reminder of our strengths and perseverance as parents. Here's hoping those uplifting moments keep coming, giving us renewed hope and energy! We got this!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu