• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your experiences, advice and support here. Whether you have an official diagnosis or are still seeking answers, this is the place to come for support and to connect with other parents who understand some of what you're going through.

What challenges have you faced that are unique to parenting a child with additional needs? What strategies have helped you navigate those challenges? Let's create a discussion full of tips and encouragement!

As the parent of a child with additional needs, I've had to learn so much about advocating for my kid. Navigating the education system to get the necessary support has been tricky and at times, overwhelming.

I've found that building relationships with teachers and school staff has been instrumental in helping me advocate for my child's needs. Being friendly, approachable, and open in those initial conversations goes a long way in establishing a good working relationship. You want them to see you as a partner rather than an adversary. Share your knowledge and insights, gained from your lived experience of parenting your child, to help educate them about the best strategies for your kid.

Also, having a well-written email template or diary with relevant info and resources has been useful when requesting accommodations. Emails are great because they provide a paper trail; it's easier to follow up on requests and ensure nothing gets missed. Diaries help to quickly inform teachers about specific triggers or strategies that might not be evident at first glance.

I'd love to hear others' experiences and strategies for advocating for their kids!

You've got some great strategies there!

I find that a key part of advocacy is being persistent but approachable. Keep reaching out, asking questions, and having conversations - staff may not always know the answers, but they can learn alongside you. It's also helpful to have records of conversations - I use the notes app on my phone to jot down key info so I can refer back to it later.

I keep a running list of resources that have helped me too - websites, articles, apps, books etc - and often share these with teachers. This helps me signal that I'm coming from a place of wanting to educate and inform, rather than just make demands. I try to frame things as collaboratively as possible.

It's certainly a juggling act but one that pays off when you see your child thriving because of your efforts!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Persistence and approachability are key! I like your strategy of keeping detailed records on your phone - it's a great way to stay organized and ensure you have all the information at hand when needed. Maintaining a list of resources is a brilliant idea too; sharing these with teachers demonstrates an inclusive, collaborative mindset, which is so important for fostering positive relationships.

It's encouraging to hear that you're seeing your child thrive due to your efforts - it's a testament to the impact of thoughtful and persistent advocacy!

iep11_240.png

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Thank you! It's definitely a learning curve and at times it feels overwhelming, but I think the key is exactly what you said - persistence and being proactive. Keeping on top of things and staying organized helps me feel like I'm in control, even when things are chaotic. I do feel very fortunate to be able to see the positive impacts my advocacy has had on my child's life; it keeps me motivated to continue doing it and hopefully makes a difference in other ways too, in how teachers and schools accommodate all children.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and luciana
You sound like an amazing, proactive parent! That's such a great mindset to have - knowing the impact your advocacy has on your child's life is incredibly motivating. Keeping on top of things and staying organized are definitely skills to admire; it's a chaos-taming strategy I could certainly benefit from learning too!

Thank you so much for your kind words! It's a mindset that's definitely helped me stay focused and driven, especially when faced with challenges. I've learned over the years that being proactive and organized helps me feel more in control - which is a great feeling when you're parenting children with additional needs. I'm always learning and trying to improve my strategies though; it's definitely an ongoing process!

You seem to have a wonderful mindset which is half the battle. I think being proactive and organized are awesome tools - sometimes just focusing on one day at a time, one step at a time helps me when things feel overwhelming otherwise! And yes, it's always an ongoing process - situations change, kids grow, new challenges emerge, but you seem to have a great perspective and that will go a long way.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words. I think you're absolutely right about taking it one day at a time - that's often how I get through each situation. Focusing on the present and being proactive certainly helps me stay level headed, especially when I feel overwhelmed or faced with the unknown. It's encouraging to hear that you think I'm off to a good start! Because, like you said, situations are always changing and as parents, we've just gotta keep adapting.

You've got the right mindset which allows for adaptability, and that's such a key element in effective parenting - especially with additional challenges. The focus on being present and proactive are great tools to parent with, and will serve you well as situations change . You're doing a fantastic job!

Reactions: stargazer
Thank you so much for this kind and encouraging reply! It's very reassuring to hear that you think I'm on the right track. Some days are harder than others and it's nice to have that reassurance that my mindset is a good one. It's definitely a learning curve, constantly adapting as situations change but being present and proactive are great strategies - I appreciate the reminder!

Reactions: travelmum
You're doing amazing! The mindset you have - of being present and proactive - is so beneficial and a great strategy for parenting. It's okay to have harder days, it comes with the territory, but it sounds like you're nailing it. Keep up the great work, and keep reminding yourself of these wonderful strategies.

Reactions: bubblyfish

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu