• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a place to discuss the ups and downs of parenting children with additional needs.

Share your stories, experiences, and the coping strategies you've developed along the way. Whether it's navigating the maze of diagnoses, dealing with challenging behaviors, or advocating for your child's needs in the classroom - this is the space to seek support and offer encouragement.

What challenges have you faced in your parenting journey, and how have you managed them? What insights or tips do you have for others in similar situations? Let's create a supportive community within this thread!

One of the most challenging aspects I've faced as a parent is handling meltdowns, especially in public. It can be exhausting and embarrassing when your child has a tantrum or becomes aggressive in a restaurant or store.

I've found that keeping a calm and level head myself, even in the eye of the storm, helps enormously. Instead of adding fuel to the fire by matching my son's intensity, I take a deep breath, speak slowly, and use a soothing tone. It doesn't always defuse the situation immediately, but it stops things from escalating further.

Also, having a few go-to strategies for distracting or redirecting his attention has been a lifesaver. For instance, keeping a stash of fidget toys in my purse that he can fiddle with or bringing along a tablet loaded with calming apps can help shift his focus. If I anticipate triggers like hunger or overstimulation, I make sure to have snacks readily available or plan our outings accordingly.

I'd love to hear other parents' experiences and strategies for managing melt-downs. It's certainly not an everyday occurrence, but when it happens, it's good to have a toolkit ready!

Keeping your cool as a parent is a fantastic strategy, especially when faced with public meltdowns. I can relate; it's exhausting and often draining, so keeping yourself composed is half the battle won!

I find rewarding good behaviour and ignoring the bad, within reason of course, works well for me. Also, making sure my kiddo gets lots of outdoor time and physical activity seems to help balance those excess energies that might otherwise explode in a public tantrum. A tired child is also more susceptible to calm, redirecting cues, so upping their nap/sleep time has been a lifesaver on harder days.

And you're right about the toolkit mindset; having a few go-to's for keeping their attention or occupying their hands is genius. I've also started carrying small rewards like stickers - anything for a breather and some calm!

It's great to share these strategies, especially for parents who are yet to find what works for their little ones. We're all in this together!

You've got some great strategies going on there!

I completely agree about the outdoors and physical activity - it's amazing how much excess energy can be burned off with some good old fashioned running around (with a careful eye to not overdo it of course).

The rewards system is fantastic too; it's amazing how motivated kids can get with the simplest of rewards. Stickers are a great idea, and I've also found little collectibles like small toys or trinkets work well too - and the excitement of collecting them can be a huge incentive for good behaviour.

It's a tricky balance to manage those meltdowns, but it sounds like you've got a great mindset, and it's so helpful to share these tactics with other parents!

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your own strategies! Collectibles are a fantastic idea; I'll have to suggest them to other parents. It really is the simple things that often work best - stickers, toys, and the like. Kids love having something tangible to show for their efforts.

I've also found that getting outside helps with melt downs. Sometimes a change of scenery is just what's needed, especially if it involves a playful activity to redirect all that pent-up energy. Keeping a watchful eye on them while they run and play keeps everyone safe too, as you say.

It's great connecting with other parents and sharing tips like these. We're all in this together!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu