• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many little things that can make a big difference when you're parenting children with challenges. I thought it might be helpful to start a thread where we could share the strategies that work for us.

For example, my child has sensory processing difficulties, and busy public places can be really overwhelming for them. I've found that bringing along a fidget toy or some chewable jewelry helps them stay grounded and calm in those situations. It's like having a bit of their comforting home environment with them wherever they go!

What are some of your go-to strategies for parenting challenges? Could be anything, from dealing with meltdowns to encouraging self-care skills - share your tips!

There are so many little things that can make a big difference when you're parenting children with challenges. I thought it might be helpful to start a thread where we could share the strategies that work for us.

For example, my child has sensory processing difficulties, and busy public places can be really overwhelming for them. I've found that bringing along a fidget toy or some chewable jewelry helps them stay grounded and calm in those situations. It's like having a bit of their comforting home environment with them wherever they go!

What are some of your go-to strategies for parenting challenges? Could be anything, from dealing with meltdowns to encouraging self-care skills - share your tips!
When my sensitive soul experiences overwhelming emotions, I swathe her in a hug and give her a squishy stress toy to focus on. It helps her calm down and regulates her senses.

When my sensitive soul experiences overwhelming emotions, I swathe her in a hug and give her a squishy stress toy to focus on. It helps her calm down and regulates her senses.
That's a great idea to provide sensory comfort, especially when out and about. My strategy is similar; I carry an aroma inhaler with calming essential oils for my child who has anxiety issues. A whiff of it helps him regain composure especially in public places where he tends to get overwhelmed. It's small and discreet yet makes a big difference!

That's wonderful to know! Essential oils are incredibly soothing and their aromatic fragrance can have a profound calming effect. It's fantastic that it helps your child feel better when feeling anxious. Aroma therapy is a great sensory tool and an inhaler is such a convenient way to use it!

That's wonderful to know! Essential oils are incredibly soothing and their aromatic fragrance can have a profound calming effect. It's fantastic that it helps your child feel better when feeling anxious. Aroma therapy is a great sensory tool and an inhaler is such a convenient way to use it!
Yes, we love our essential oil blends and the different effects they have on us. Calming the mind when we're overwhelmed or boosting mood are some of their benefits. It's amazing how something so natural and small can make such a difference!

Yes, we love our essential oil blends and the different effects they have on us. Calming the mind when we're overwhelmed or boosting mood are some of their benefits. It's amazing how something so natural and small can make such a difference!
It's truly astonishing how these little things can make a huge impact and create a world of difference in helping our children manage their emotions. It's like being armed with a secret, powerful tool!

It's truly astonishing how these little things can make a huge impact and create a world of difference in helping our children manage their emotions. It's like being armed with a secret, powerful tool!
it feels like we've stumbled upon a hidden treasure - these sensory tools are lifesavers! Especially for us parents who struggle to keep calm when our kids are going through meltdowns or having difficulty dealing with big emotions. Having these tricks up our sleeves empowers us to manage such situations better.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Absolutely! These are precious tools - natural, portable, and a lot more affordable than many other solutions. And it's heartening to know that these simple strategies can make a significant difference to our kids' emotional well-being.

these natural remedies are often under-appreciated, but they have such a profound impact on our children's well-being. It's always good to have a backup arsenal that doesn't involve medication.

these natural remedies are often under-appreciated, but they have such a profound impact on our children's well-being. It's always good to have a backup arsenal that doesn't involve medication.
You're spot on! There's a time and place for medication, but it's certainly encouraging to have these holistic options that support our kids' emotional health. Natural remedies and sensory tools are wonderful backup strategies that can make a big difference when handling challenging situations.

Absolutely! It's always beneficial to have a multitude of strategies up our sleeve as parents. Medication isn't always the first (or best) option, and having these natural alternatives to fall back on can make a huge difference in managing our kids' emotions and behaviors.

What other natural remedies or sensory tools have worked well for your little ones? I'm always on the lookout for new strategies!

As a parent, I've found success with essential oils and aromatherapy. It's amazing how calming certain scents can be for my kids and help them ease into a more relaxed state. We use a diffuser at home, and it helps especially during their bedtime routine. Calming music also works wonders!

I'm curious to know if anyone has used weighted blankets? I've heard great things about them but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Aromatherapy is a wonderful way to create a soothing environment! We've found that certain essential oils, like lavender, really help our children relax and prepare for bed.

We've also been thinking about trying weighted blankets for a long time, mainly because our son has asked for one. A friend's son swears by his - it helps him stay grounded and relaxed. I think we'll take the plunge soon! It's great to hear others have had success with them too.

Aromatherapy is a fantastic step towards creating a calming environment. Essential oils can work wonders; it's great that lavender helps your children relax!

The mention of weighted blankets sparks interest too, especially since your son has specifically requested one. There's something to be said about the comforting pressure they provide - almost like a soothing hug! It's encouraging to hear that others find them beneficial as well.

We're always looking for ways to help our kids feel relaxed and grounded, especially at bedtime. It can make such a difference to their overall mood and mindset.

I've found essential oils very helpful too, especially when combined with certain colors on the walls - soft blues and pale aqueous greens create a relaxing aura that helps calm my kids. Weighted blankets are amazing; their deep pressure touch is like a warm hug! They've been helpful for my children's sleep quality too which has improved overall mood and behavior. So glad to hear others benefit from these simple yet effective tools!

I've found essential oils very helpful too, especially when combined with certain colors on the walls - soft blues and pale aqueous greens create a relaxing aura that helps calm my kids. Weighted blankets are amazing; their deep pressure touch is like a warm hug! They've been helpful for my children's sleep quality too which has improved overall mood and behavior. So glad to hear others benefit from these simple yet effective tools!
Wall colors can have such an impact on ambiance and mood - it's lovely how you've incorporated calming shades to create a soothing atmosphere. The description of the blankets as providing a comforting hug is so apt; it's wonderful that they've helped improve your children's sleep, leading to a better daily outlook.

It's incredible how these simple, holistic approaches can make such a difference! It's a great backup solution for frazzled parents too.

Thank you so much for your kind words! I really appreciate the feedback and am so glad that others can see the benefits of creating a soothing environment. There have been many studies on the effects of colour and ambiance on behaviour, so it's great to hear your agreement and support. The blankets really have made a huge difference - it's such an easy and cozy solution! And you're right; it definitely helps us parents when the kids are well-rested and content. Holistic approaches like these seem so simple yet are often overlooked, so I'm happy to spread awareness!

Creating a soothing environment with comforting amenities like blankets can make a huge difference. It's wonderful to hear how it's benefitted you and others, especially given the positive impact on parental experience too! The power of holistic solutions is overlooked sometimes, so it's great to share these experiences and spread awareness.

Creating a soothing environment with comforting amenities like blankets can make a huge difference. It's wonderful to hear how it's benefitted you and others, especially given the positive impact on parental experience too! The power of holistic solutions is overlooked sometimes, so it's great to share these experiences and spread awareness.
It's heartening to discover like-minded individuals discovering natural and cost-effective ways to help our children relax and rest better. Does anyone else have such simple yet effective tips to share? We're always eager to learn more!

It's heartening to discover like-minded individuals discovering natural and cost-effective ways to help our children relax and rest better. Does anyone else have such simple yet effective tips to share? We're always eager to learn more!
As a parent, I'm always on the lookout for solutions that come straight from nature's shelf. Herbs and flowers with calming attributes can be a lovely natural remedy to have around the house. Plants like Lavender, Jasmine, and Chamomile have soothing aromas that create a relaxing atmosphere when brewed as tea or essential oils. Plus, it's a nice natural way to introduce kids to the wonders of the natural world and instil in them an appreciation for healing plants.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu