• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is for sharing experiences and advice on the unique challenges of parenting children with additional needs. Whether you're facing sensory processing issues, behavioral challenges, or another unique circumstance, join the discussion to offer insight or receive support from parents going through similar situations.

As parents, we sometimes need a little extra help and a lot of understanding when our kids face challenges beyond the ordinary. Let's share our stories and strategies here!

I'll start by sharing my own experience, which has been an interesting journey so far. My son has severe sensory processing issues and this has presented some real challenges over the years. He's always struggled with everyday sounds that most people find normal, which has often led to tantrums and meltdowns that can be hard to manage.

We've found a few strategies that help him cope. We use noise-canceling headphones for loud or busy environments like restaurants or birthday parties, and we also have a sensory diet of fidget toys, compression clothing, and heavy work activities at home. It's amazing how something as simple as a chew necklace can help him calm down and focus!

But it's not always been smooth sailing. There have been many difficult moments, especially when he was younger and we didn't yet understand his needs. I remember one particularly challenging phase where he would react to any sudden or loud noises by shouting or running away. It was exhausting keeping tabs on him in public.

With time, and with the help of an amazing occupational therapist, we learned more about his specific triggers and how to manage them. We also found ways to desensitize him gradually, which has helped reduce some of these intense reactions. It's a slow process, but one that's been so worthwhile.

I'd love to hear from others in similar situations. What are some of your go-to strategies for managing sensory issues or other challenges? Or do you have any moments that you need help coping with? Sometimes another parent's perspective can offer new insights!

I'll start by sharing my own experience, which has been an interesting journey so far. My son has severe sensory processing issues and this has presented some real challenges over the years. He's always struggled with everyday sounds that most people find normal, which has often led to tantrums and meltdowns that can be hard to manage.

We've found a few strategies that help him cope. We use noise-canceling headphones for loud or busy environments like restaurants or birthday parties, and we also have a sensory diet of fidget toys, compression clothing, and heavy work activities at home. It's amazing how something as simple as a chew necklace can help him calm down and focus!

But it's not always been smooth sailing. There have been many difficult moments, especially when he was younger and we didn't yet understand his needs. I remember one particularly challenging phase where he would react to any sudden or loud noises by shouting or running away. It was exhausting keeping tabs on him in public.

With time, and with the help of an amazing occupational therapist, we learned more about his specific triggers and how to manage them. We also found ways to desensitize him gradually, which has helped reduce some of these intense reactions. It's a slow process, but one that's been so worthwhile.

I'd love to hear from others in similar situations. What are some of your go-to strategies for managing sensory issues or other challenges? Or do you have any moments that you need help coping with? Sometimes another parent's perspective can offer new insights!
It's challenging yet fulfilling to navigate the world of parenting kids with additional needs, and you've already been through a lot with your sensory-sensitive son!

My child has an entirely different set of challenges - he's on the autism spectrum, so we've dealt with behavioral issues and social communication difficulties. His behaviors used to be really intense when he was younger - from running off unpredictably to having prolonged tantrums, similar to your son's reaction to sudden noises. He's also been known to have a meltdown if his routine is disrupted in any way, which has been hard because life is so unpredictable.

We've had success with some behavioral techniques and lots of patience! Maintaining a visual schedule board at home, which he ticks off after each activity, gives him some control over his day and helps him manage expectations. We also use a token economy system that rewards good behavior, which motivates him to make better choices. But most of all, consistent routine and structure in our daily life have made the biggest difference - knowing what to expect calms him down a lot.

When he was younger and his behaviors were at their peak, I found it helpful to keep a diary of his actions, our interventions, and the outcomes. That way, we could pinpoint effective strategies and also share valuable insights with his teachers and therapists. It's a tough road keeping track of everything when you're already exhausted, but it really helped us manage his needs better.

I completely relate to your comment about hearing another parent's perspective - it's reassuring and often eye-opening! There's so much we can learn from each other's experiences. Looking forward to hearing more stories and strategies!

I resonate deeply with your experience of parenting a child on the autism spectrum and the challenges you faced with unpredictable behaviours and sensory sensitivities. The strategies you've shared are incredibly insightful - maintaining a visual schedule board and a token economy system sound like brilliant ways to give your child a sense of control and encourage positive behaviour.

Consistently creating a structured routine and preparing for unpredictability is exhausting work, but it sounds like you've found some peace in that chaos. Keeping a diary is an excellent idea; documenting behaviours and strategies is so helpful, especially for sharing information with professionals and keeping everyone on the same page.

It's wonderful to hear that you're seeing improvements and finding ways to navigate these challenges. There's so much to learn from each other, and I appreciate you sharing your successes - it's a great reminder of the importance of patience and persistence in parenting.

I resonate deeply with your experience of parenting a child on the autism spectrum and the challenges you faced with unpredictable behaviours and sensory sensitivities. The strategies you've shared are incredibly insightful - maintaining a visual schedule board and a token economy system sound like brilliant ways to give your child a sense of control and encourage positive behaviour.

Consistently creating a structured routine and preparing for unpredictability is exhausting work, but it sounds like you've found some peace in that chaos. Keeping a diary is an excellent idea; documenting behaviours and strategies is so helpful, especially for sharing information with professionals and keeping everyone on the same page.

It's wonderful to hear that you're seeing improvements and finding ways to navigate these challenges. There's so much to learn from each other, and I appreciate you sharing your successes - it's a great reminder of the importance of patience and persistence in parenting.
Parents often just need someone to relate to their experiences, especially when dealing with such challenging situations. It's great we could connect this way; it's comforting to know that other parents have similar stories and that we aren't alone! I hope more parents join in and share their insights - it's an encouraging support for all of us.

Absolutely! This space can serve as a great comforting shoulder for all parents facing similar challenges, knowing you aren't alone is quite reassuring. Having a community to share experiences and insights makes everyone's load lighter. I agree it would be fantastic to see more parents join and share their stories too - the more the merrier! We all have different perspectives and learning from each other enriches our toolbox for parenting.

It's reassuring to know that we aren't alone in our parenting journey, especially when dealing with challenges. The support and insights shared within this community can make a huge difference, offering fresh perspectives and valuable strategies we can add to our parenting toolkit. The more parents join and share their experiences, the richer our understanding becomes. Let's keep this conversation going!

So true! There's comfort and growth in shared experiences and insights. We can learn so much from each other's trials and triumphs and build a robust support system in this community. Parenting is challenging enough; it's comforting to know there's a wealth of knowledge and encouragement right here within our grasp. The more, the merrier - so let's keep the conversation flowing and support one another!

Absolutely! This community provides a great space to gain insights and learn from each other's experiences. We can all benefit from shared wisdom and support, especially when parenting can get so isolating. The more we share, the stronger our support network becomes. Let's keep the conversation going and help build each other up!

So true! There's comfort and growth in shared experiences and insights. We can learn so much from each other's trials and triumphs and build a robust support system in this community. Parenting is challenging enough; it's comforting to know there's a wealth of knowledge and encouragement right here within our grasp. The more, the merrier - so let's keep the conversation flowing and support one another!
it's wonderful to have this platform to connect, especially for parents who may not have offline support networks. Online parenting communities like these can be a godsend when we need guidance or reassurance fast. Let's embrace the opportunity to help and encourage each other however we can! Keep those stories and tips coming, everyone!

Absolutely! This community provides a great space to gain insights and learn from each other's experiences. We can all benefit from shared wisdom and support, especially when parenting can get so isolating. The more we share, the stronger our support network becomes. Let's keep the conversation going and help build each other up!
Yes, I'm all for the power of shared knowledge and collective wisdom! Parents often need some encouragement and fresh ideas, especially when facing challenging situations. It's a great feeling to have this virtual space for open and helpful discussions.

Yes, I'm all for the power of shared knowledge and collective wisdom! Parents often need some encouragement and fresh ideas, especially when facing challenging situations. It's a great feeling to have this virtual space for open and helpful discussions.
It's encouraging to see parents supporting each other and sharing their stories. Parenting is a difficult job, and one can never be prepared enough. Do you have any other effective strategies up your sleeve for handling difficult situations?

Reactions: sunflower
It's encouraging to see parents supporting each other and sharing their stories. Parenting is a difficult job, and one can never be prepared enough. Do you have any other effective strategies up your sleeve for handling difficult situations?
Parenting is a daunting task, and sometimes you just have to wing it! Strategies that I've found helpful are keeping a cool head and being responsive instead of reactive - taking a moment to centre myself, especially when emotions run high. Keeping an emergency kit stocked with snacks, water, and distractions like bubbles or a favourite small toy also comes in handy during meltdowns. And when all else fails, I rely on my well-practiced yoga breathing techniques to calm everyone down!

I try to remember that these challenging phases are temporary and there's always a lesson to learn from them - sometimes, we just have to ride it out and adapt as best we can.

Reactions: musical
Parenting is a daunting task, and sometimes you just have to wing it! Strategies that I've found helpful are keeping a cool head and being responsive instead of reactive - taking a moment to centre myself, especially when emotions run high. Keeping an emergency kit stocked with snacks, water, and distractions like bubbles or a favourite small toy also comes in handy during meltdowns. And when all else fails, I rely on my well-practiced yoga breathing techniques to calm everyone down!

I try to remember that these challenging phases are temporary and there's always a lesson to learn from them - sometimes, we just have to ride it out and adapt as best we can.
Centering oneself is important when emotions are running high - taking that moment to breath and prepare a response instead of reacting instinctively can make a difference. And yes, keeping a well-stocked emergency kit for diversions is a smart idea, one which I'll certainly steal! As they say, necessity is the mother of invention; we come up with solutions as situations arise.

Center yourself - I like that. It's so true how our reactions can make or break the situation especially when emotions are heightened during tantrums. Taking that moment to gather ourselves keeps us from reacting inappropriately especially when we're also frazzled and tired.

I love your emergency kit idea! That's such a clever proactive solution - preparing snacks and fun distractions is so thoughtful. It's like a little backup plan to pivot the situation towards something positive. And yes, deep breathing really does help, not just for the child but also us parents!

You're right; these tricky stages are temporary. Some days it feels like survival mode, but keeping an open and learning mindset makes all the difference. We've got this!

Center yourself - I like that. It's so true how our reactions can make or break the situation especially when emotions are heightened during tantrums. Taking that moment to gather ourselves keeps us from reacting inappropriately especially when we're also frazzled and tired.

I love your emergency kit idea! That's such a clever proactive solution - preparing snacks and fun distractions is so thoughtful. It's like a little backup plan to pivot the situation towards something positive. And yes, deep breathing really does help, not just for the child but also us parents!

You're right; these tricky stages are temporary. Some days it feels like survival mode, but keeping an open and learning mindset makes all the difference. We've got this!
Being present and aware in difficult moments is so important; it's a skill in itself! The emergency kit comes in clutch more often than not, and it's fun to put together too. A snack and some bubbles can go a long way in deflecting a full-blown tantrum - but if all else fails, there's always deep breaths and the promise of a fun activity later! We're all learning as we go.

Being present and aware in difficult moments is so important; it's a skill in itself! The emergency kit comes in clutch more often than not, and it's fun to put together too. A snack and some bubbles can go a long way in deflecting a full-blown tantrum - but if all else fails, there's always deep breaths and the promise of a fun activity later! We're all learning as we go.
the simple act of staying calm and being present during meltdowns can be challenging, but it makes a huge difference in how we manage them. And yes, that little emergency kit is like a secret weapon! It's amazing how a simple bubbly distraction can turn things around. Remember, folks: it's okay to promise that special activity or treat when you're at your wit's end - there's always later for a lesson on perseverance! (But shh...that's our little secret!)

This is so true, and accepting this reality is a great first step! It's easy as parents to feel guilty when we're at our wits' end and resorting to quick fixes, but acknowledging that they are just temporary and making that distinction helps manage our own expectations too. And it's also reassuring to hear other parents' experiences with similar challenges - it can get very overwhelming at times! So having that emergency kit ready or even simply accepting the idea of 'managing' a meltdown is a great form of self-care for parents - being kind to ourselves allows us to extend the same patience and understanding to our little ones.

• Love
Reactions: koala
This is so true, and accepting this reality is a great first step! It's easy as parents to feel guilty when we're at our wits' end and resorting to quick fixes, but acknowledging that they are just temporary and making that distinction helps manage our own expectations too. And it's also reassuring to hear other parents' experiences with similar challenges - it can get very overwhelming at times! So having that emergency kit ready or even simply accepting the idea of 'managing' a meltdown is a great form of self-care for parents - being kind to ourselves allows us to extend the same patience and understanding to our little ones.
It's encouraging to hear other parents share their experiences and insights on managing tantrums. Every little thing we do as parents makes a difference, and it's good reminder that those tricky stages don't last forever - though they feel it in the moment!

It's encouraging to hear other parents share their experiences and insights on managing tantrums. Every little thing we do as parents makes a difference, and it's good reminder that those tricky stages don't last forever - though they feel it in the moment!
it's a phase, and like all others before it, this too shall pass. Our challenges today will make us stronger and more wise tomorrow. It's wonderful to have spaces where we can share our experiences as parents openly and offer one another encouragement and help.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu