• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a place to discuss the ups and downs of parenting children with additional challenges and special needs. Share your hard-earned victories, the strategies that work (and don't work) for you, vent about your struggles, or ask for advice from this supportive community of parents going through similar experiences. While every child is unique, there's strength and solidarity in shared stories. Welcome to a judgment-free space to talk about the joy and the challenges!

This might help fellow parents of children who struggle with executive dysfunction issues - I find creating detailed schedules for my kids helps a lot. Every Sunday, we sit down together and plan out their week - it gives them a sense of ownership, and they're more invested in doing the tasks when they've had a hand in writing them down.

We use a white board with plenty of space to lay out the days of the week and time blocks for each day. It's satisfying for them to wipe off tasks once completed, and we celebrate the week's accomplishments together at the end of Friday. Seeing the week laid out visually seems to help them understand timelines better and makes planning ahead less daunting than it would be otherwise.

It's not a perfect system; some days things still slip through the cracks, but having that visual timetable has brought us some success! I'd love to hear other parents' strategies too - it's always good to have a toolkit of tactics!

Reactions: joyful
This might help fellow parents of children who struggle with executive dysfunction issues - I find creating detailed schedules for my kids helps a lot. Every Sunday, we sit down together and plan out their week - it gives them a sense of ownership, and they're more invested in doing the tasks when they've had a hand in writing them down.

We use a white board with plenty of space to lay out the days of the week and time blocks for each day. It's satisfying for them to wipe off tasks once completed, and we celebrate the week's accomplishments together at the end of Friday. Seeing the week laid out visually seems to help them understand timelines better and makes planning ahead less daunting than it would be otherwise.

It's not a perfect system; some days things still slip through the cracks, but having that visual timetable has brought us some success! I'd love to hear other parents' strategies too - it's always good to have a toolkit of tactics!
That's a great strategy! My children also enjoy the satisfaction of physically ticking off completed tasks. I've found that keeping a simple and visually appealing activity calendar works well, especially for younger kids.

For my son, who has additional needs, we use a reward system alongside the calendar to motivate him. Stickers and small treats help him stay focused and keep track of his progress throughout the week. It's a simple strategy but has brought some structure to our chaotic weeks!

That's an excellent strategy! My kiddo also benefits from visuals and a hands-on approach. We use a large calendar with stickies for special reminders, and each Sunday, we prepare her planner, marking down important events, due dates, and assignments. Using different colored markers makes it fun.

For instance, my daughter enjoys drawing an intricate web of due dates for her school projects using different colors for various tasks and categories. Then, she takes ownership of the project, referring to the planner often and crossing off tasks as she completes them with satisfaction!

I agree that giving them control over the scheduling reduces the power struggle. It's heartening to see them take charge and pride in their achievements.

That's an excellent strategy! My kiddo also benefits from visuals and a hands-on approach. We use a large calendar with stickies for special reminders, and each Sunday, we prepare her planner, marking down important events, due dates, and assignments. Using different colored markers makes it fun.

For instance, my daughter enjoys drawing an intricate web of due dates for her school projects using different colors for various tasks and categories. Then, she takes ownership of the project, referring to the planner often and crossing off tasks as she completes them with satisfaction!

I agree that giving them control over the scheduling reduces the power struggle. It's heartening to see them take charge and pride in their achievements.
It's great how every parent has a unique approach. The hands-on, visual strategies seem to be a hit among our kids! Keep those creative parenting ideas coming; they're valuable!

• Love
Reactions: musical and lioness
It's great how every parent has a unique approach. The hands-on, visual strategies seem to be a hit among our kids! Keep those creative parenting ideas coming; they're valuable!
it's fascinating to discover these little hacks that make parenting less daunting and our children's lives more organized! Keep them coming 😊

I couldn’t agree more! It's amazing how small changes can make a big difference, especially when it comes to parenting. Sharing some of these hacks can help others too and build a repository of solutions for situations many parents might find themselves in - win-win!

One simple yet effective one I've found is using a visual calendar for kids' activities. Whether you use a dry erase board or a chalkboard, mark it up with the entire week's worth of activities, events, and reminders. It helps children visualize the days ahead and encourages them to plan and look forward to specific activities. It also prepares them for any routine changes, giving them time to adjust mentally and allowing for open discussions about what's coming up.

The calendar can also be a great visual tool to teach about seasons and weeks and help them understand the passage of time - an added bonus! Would love to hear your thoughts on this and other hacks you all have found helpful!

That's a brilliant hack! Visual tools are incredibly beneficial for children, especially those with cognitive delays who struggle with executive functioning skills like planning and visualizing time.

I've found success with creating a picture book of routine activities, especially for transitions - e.g., photos of them brushing their teeth, choosing their outfit for the day, packing school snacks, etc. It empowers them to anticipate the day's events and gives them a sense of control.

Another trick is playing the "What If" game. Children with anxiety or who struggle with unpredictable change often worry about the 'what ifs.' So I turn it into a fun game where we brainstorm together all the 'what if' scenarios and then discuss our plans for each situation. It helps them feel prepared and in control, reducing those anxiety levels!

I'm keen to hear more ideas on fostering adaptability and resilience - half the battle as parents is won with creative strategies like these!

Reactions: travelmum
What a fantastic idea about creating a picture book of routine activities! That's definitely one to keep in mind for the future.

The "What If" game is an ingenious way to help kids with anxiety. I can see how it would make them feel more in control and prepared for the day, and also help them understand that unpredictable things are not so scary when you have a plan.

One thing that has worked well for us is practicing mindfulness. We do simple exercises like deep breathing together - it helps calm everyone down when emotions are high, and it's amazing how just a few moments of focused breathing can change the whole tone of our day.

We also make it a point to celebrate every small win. For instance, if our child has had a particularly challenging morning but manages to stay calm through it all, we'll celebrate that calmness and resilience, which encourages them to keep up that behaviour. Positive reinforcement goes a long way!

What a fantastic idea about creating a picture book of routine activities! That's definitely one to keep in mind for the future.

The "What If" game is an ingenious way to help kids with anxiety. I can see how it would make them feel more in control and prepared for the day, and also help them understand that unpredictable things are not so scary when you have a plan.

One thing that has worked well for us is practicing mindfulness. We do simple exercises like deep breathing together - it helps calm everyone down when emotions are high, and it's amazing how just a few moments of focused breathing can change the whole tone of our day.

We also make it a point to celebrate every small win. For instance, if our child has had a particularly challenging morning but manages to stay calm through it all, we'll celebrate that calmness and resilience, which encourages them to keep up that behaviour. Positive reinforcement goes a long way!
That's true; small victories are worth celebrating We also practice mindfulness and find that deep breathing exercises help our child too. It's amazing how quickly things can escalate when handling strong emotions, so having a toolkit of simple strategies like this can really change the outcome of the situation!

I'm curious to know if any parents have found apps or online tools that help with these challenges. I've heard some use reward charts that are apps which the whole family can access - any recommendations for effective digital tools?

We've had success with an app called 'Calm'. It has a whole section of breathing exercises for kids and also some great bedtime stories that help with mindfulness. There's a free version, but we ended up getting the subscription because it was worth it for us.

Also, I keep hearing great things about 'Insight Timer'. It has a lot of children-specific meditations and stories, though I haven't used it as much as Calm myself. It's free with some paid content.

As for reward charts, we've had success with the old-school method of a physical chart with stickers - very tactile and visual which my kid loves. But I'd be keen to hear about any good app recommendations too!

Reactions: musical
We've used Calm too, and found it really helpful especially the breathing exercises - very simple yet effective, and the kids love the visuals.

We also use a physical rewards chart - mostly for tooth brushing, which is our current battle! But I'm keen to hear about app recommendations too as my child might be more receptive to something new and shiny!

We've used the Insights timer app for meditation, also has a lot of sleep stories, breathing exercises etc. which the kids really enjoy. Also had some success with the Smiling Mind and MyLife apps - the latter has a whole parent support section too which is fantastic.

Rewards charts are a great idea - we've found them useful for establishing routines, especially after holidays/school closures when things get a little haywire! Sticker charts are a big hit in our house and seem to work wonders, sometimes I write a little reward (of their choice) on each sticker too to keep the motivation high.

We've used the Insights timer app for meditation, also has a lot of sleep stories, breathing exercises etc. which the kids really enjoy. Also had some success with the Smiling Mind and MyLife apps - the latter has a whole parent support section too which is fantastic.

Rewards charts are a great idea - we've found them useful for establishing routines, especially after holidays/school closures when things get a little haywire! Sticker charts are a big hit in our house and seem to work wonders, sometimes I write a little reward (of their choice) on each sticker too to keep the motivation high.
It's great to have some app recommendations! It's amazing how technology can help these days. Stickers have a special magic to them - they always seemed to work like a charm!

Reactions: travelmum

I think we've hit upon a great topic here - visual and practical tools that help our children sound like fantastic solutions for many parents! I think the key is finding what works best for your child, and these ideas are a brilliant starting point!

I think we've hit upon a great topic here - visual and practical tools that help our children sound like fantastic solutions for many parents! I think the key is finding what works best for your child, and these ideas are a brilliant starting point!
it's fascinating to hear about all of these wonderful strategies that help make parenting easier and more enjoyable! It proves that every problem has a creative solution.

every child is unique andparents would know best about what works for theirchild's personality and needs. These suggestions can serve as a pool of wonderful resources for parents to dip into and explore further!

Reactions: techsavvy
Absolutely! Each child is special and comes with their own set of quirks and personalities, which makes parenting an exciting journey full of surprises. It's great to have a pool of ideas to refer to, especially when parents can then tailor them to suit their little ones' individual needs.

The joy and wonder of discovering your child’s unique personality is a special experience. Parenting requires adaptability, embracing the unexpected challenges and triumphs, and having a repository of varied strategies to draw upon is a wonderful resource for tailoring approaches to suit each child's distinctive needs.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu