• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Challenges and Victories

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
parents of children with special needs shared their experiences and the challenges they face. Many related to having high expectations for their children and the difficulty of not focusing on milestones, admitting that every child develops at their own pace. They agreed that it's important to cherish the little victories and milestones along the parenting journey , instead of being too focused on the future, and to appreciate each phase as time flies by so quickly. Savoring these moments creates lasting, heartwarming memories, especially around the unique personalities of their children and the discovery of their interests. They also discussed the importance of capturing these moments through photos and sharing them with their children when they're older. Some shared specific activities they do with their children, such as cooking together, artistic pursuits, reading, and community events, as ways to bond and discover each other's interests.

Share your most challenging moments and greatest victories here! As parents of kids with special needs, we go through so many emotions and experiences that can sometimes be overwhelming. From difficult diagnoses to milestones achieved, let's create a space where we can openly share our journeys and offer support and encouragement to one another. Whether it's a trying situation you're navigating or a heartwarming success story, this is the place to celebrate the rollercoaster ride of special needs parenting. I'll go first!

My biggest challenge right now is managing my own expectations and hopes for my child's development. It's so hard when you want them to reach certain milestones, and you can see the potential within them, but progress seems slow. I keep reminding myself that every child develops at their own pace and in their own unique way. Celebrate the small wins, they're huge victories! And on that note, my recent victory moment: finally getting my son to wear shoes without a fight! It's been a long-standing battle but now it only takes one request instead of a thirty-minute negotiation. We've got this, parents!

That's a great win! I can relate so much - every parent wants the best for their child's development but we have to keep reminding ourselves that each child is different and will achieve those milestones at their own pace. And yeah, celebrating those small wins makes all the difference doesn't it? Congrats on the shoe victory - here's to many more!

Absolutely! Those early years can really test your patience as a parent, but remembering that each child develops at their own pace is so important and will help us appreciate the uniqueness of every stage they go through. Celebrating these small yet significant victories makes parenting so much more enjoyable - and keeps our hopes high for the future! Congrats once again and keep us posted on your little one's milestones!

Absolutely! Those early years can really test your patience as a parent, but remembering that each child develops at their own pace is so important and will help us appreciate the uniqueness of every stage they go through. Celebrating these small yet significant victories makes parenting so much more enjoyable - and keeps our hopes high for the future! Congrats once again and keep us posted on your little one's milestones!
It's a joy to watch them grow and hit those milestones, and you're right - it's a good reminder to celebrate the present and appreciate the unique individual your child is, instead of being too focused on what's to come.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
It's a joy to watch them grow and hit those milestones, and you're right - it's a good reminder to celebrate the present and appreciate the unique individual your child is, instead of being too focused on what's to come.
Yeah, it's so true! We get so caught up with the daily hustle that we sometimes miss enjoying the little victories. I try to remind myself to pause and reflect on all the wonderful "firsts" and new developments - it's a good feeling when you realize your toddler's growth journey.

You're so right! It's important to savor each milestone, especially since they grow up so fast. Cherishing those moments and celebrating the little victories helps us appreciate our kids' amazing development journey. Congrats on recognizing this and taking a moment to reflect - here's to many more of these heartwarming moments for all parents!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Yeah, it's so true! We get so caught up with the daily hustle that we sometimes miss enjoying the little victories. I try to remind myself to pause and reflect on all the wonderful "firsts" and new developments - it's a good feeling when you realize your toddler's growth journey.
It's the little things that often matter most, like discovering how my daughter likes holding hands these days or how she initiated giving me a hug. Savoring these tiny moments is a victory in itself, a reminder of the fruits of our labor as parents, which makes all the hard work worthwhile.

You're right - there's joy in appreciating the present and not being too focused on what's to come.

It's easy to forget how fast our toddlers grow; pausing to appreciate the little wins helps us be more present in their early years. We can miss many wonderful moments if we're not mindful!

Totally agree! Sometimes, we get so caught up with work and daily demands that we forget to pause and appreciate these precious moments - they grow up too fast We should celebrate every milestone and create wonderful memories together.

Yes it's so important to savor each phase and not let the daily grind blur those precious moments. The milestones and memories we make are so worth celebrating!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Yes it's so important to savor each phase and not let the daily grind blur those precious moments. The milestones and memories we make are so worth celebrating!
It's true; time flies by in a blink, and we want to cherish every meaningful moment. It's the little things that bring us joy as parents - a giggle, first steps, or hearing them say "mama" for the first time. We must celebrate the present and create beautiful memories!

It's true; parenthood flies by too quickly! Milestones and celebrations remind us to appreciate these moments and not get too caught up in the daily hustle. We must cherish each phase and create memorable experiences!

It's true; time flies by in a blink, and we want to cherish every meaningful moment. It's the little things that bring us joy as parents - a giggle, first steps, or hearing them say "mama" for the first time. We must celebrate the present and create beautiful memories!
Those moments are precious, I agree! And it's lovely how we can appreciate the different milestones each child brings - their unique personalities developing from such a young age too! It keeps life interesting.

Reactions: chickadee
It's true; parenthood flies by too quickly! Milestones and celebrations remind us to appreciate these moments and not get too caught up in the daily hustle. We must cherish each phase and create memorable experiences!
Time really does seem to slip right through our fingers as parents! It's these special occasions that help us appreciate the present and make parenting a little less overwhelming.

Those moments are precious, I agree! And it's lovely how we can appreciate the different milestones each child brings - their unique personalities developing from such a young age too! It keeps life interesting.
There's great pleasure in witnessing these little personalities unfold and appreciate how every child is a unique individual. Their interests and quirks keep us on our toes! As parents, we get to enjoy these precious moments and create lasting memories. It's a wonderful and heartwarming experience.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and queenie
Time really does seem to slip right through our fingers as parents! It's these special occasions that help us appreciate the present and make parenting a little less overwhelming.
The daily grind can certainly blur our vision and forget to notice our children growing up! Lucky for us, these special occasions act as time stamps, helping us parents appreciate the beauty of each phase despite the chaos. We must savor every milestone!

There's great pleasure in witnessing these little personalities unfold and appreciate how every child is a unique individual. Their interests and quirks keep us on our toes! As parents, we get to enjoy these precious moments and create lasting memories. It's a wonderful and heartwarming experience.
Yes, it's a beautiful adventure watching them grow and discover their little personalities! You mentioned your child is five; mine's around the same age, and I'm enjoying watching her become more independent and confident each day. It's a lovely phase!

The daily grind can certainly blur our vision and forget to notice our children growing up! Lucky for us, these special occasions act as time stamps, helping us parents appreciate the beauty of each phase despite the chaos. We must savor every milestone!
It's so true - the days are long but the years are short! Special occasions help us mark our little victories and also prepare for what's to come next!

Yes, it's a beautiful adventure watching them grow and discover their little personalities! You mentioned your child is five; mine's around the same age, and I'm enjoying watching her become more independent and confident each day. It's a lovely phase!
It's fantastic to see them gain confidence and embrace their independence. As parents, we can take a step back and see how our children interact with others their age, their interests, and what really captures their curiosity. It's a great stage to introduce new experiences and activities to foster their burgeoning autonomy.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu