• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Challenges and Victories

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I thought it might be nice to have a general thread where we could all share our biggest parenting challenges and our victories, big or small!

It can be easy to get focused on the negative, so I'd love to hear about the strategies you use to overcome difficult moments and also celebrate your successes! I'll go first!

One of my biggest challenges right now is managing tantrums with my five-year-old, who has sensory processing difficulties. They can be pretty intense and last quite a long time. It's exhausting for both of us, especially when they happen in public! I'm working on keeping my cool and using deep pressure tactics to help regulate her senses, but it's definitely a work in progress!

A recent victory was finally finding a great occupational therapist who seems to be the perfect fit for her needs. After a tough few months searching for the right support, I feel relieved and hopeful that some of our struggles might soon ease up.

I thought it might be nice to have a general thread where we could all share our biggest parenting challenges and our victories, big or small!

It can be easy to get focused on the negative, so I'd love to hear about the strategies you use to overcome difficult moments and also celebrate your successes! I'll go first!

One of my biggest challenges right now is managing tantrums with my five-year-old, who has sensory processing difficulties. They can be pretty intense and last quite a long time. It's exhausting for both of us, especially when they happen in public! I'm working on keeping my cool and using deep pressure tactics to help regulate her senses, but it's definitely a work in progress!

A recent victory was finally finding a great occupational therapist who seems to be the perfect fit for her needs. After a tough few months searching for the right support, I feel relieved and hopeful that some of our struggles might soon ease up.
That's wonderful news about your victory in finding a great OT! It's definitely not easy managing sensory challenges, so that's a big achievement. As for tantrums, I can relate; it's tiring and sometimes embarrassing when they happen in public. My strategy is to keep calm and redirect their attention, which doesn't always work but is worth a try!

It's certainly challenging to manage intense tantrums, especially in public! It's a huge accomplishment that you've found an occupational therapist to help with your five-year-old's sensory processing difficulties. That's a great milestone to celebrate!

Keeping your cool during such situations is a skill in itself - not an easy one, but one that can be learnt and practiced! It's encouraging to hear that you're already employing deep pressure tactics; it's a reminder that there's so much parents can do to help regulate our kids' senses.

That's wonderful news about your victory in finding a great OT! It's definitely not easy managing sensory challenges, so that's a big achievement. As for tantrums, I can relate; it's tiring and sometimes embarrassing when they happen in public. My strategy is to keep calm and redirect their attention, which doesn't always work but is worth a try!
Yes Keeping calm is so important, although easier said than done! I find that keeping myself distracted also helps me manage the situation better when my child has a tantrum. I observe and respond but also try to divert some of my mental focus to something else, like planning our next fun activity or imagining a funny scenario - helps me stay patient!

What other techniques do you use to keep yourself calm when your kiddo is having a meltdown? Any special breathing exercises or mantras you employ? I'd love to hear!

That's a good idea to keep calm and redirect their attention. I like your strategy! It's definitely tricky but we do what we can as parents!

Yes Keeping calm is so important, although easier said than done! I find that keeping myself distracted also helps me manage the situation better when my child has a tantrum. I observe and respond but also try to divert some of my mental focus to something else, like planning our next fun activity or imagining a funny scenario - helps me stay patient!

What other techniques do you use to keep yourself calm when your kiddo is having a meltdown? Any special breathing exercises or mantras you employ? I'd love to hear!
I try not to focus on the tantrum too much and remind myself that it's just a phase and will eventually pass. Accepting that it's normal behaviour for their age helps me stay patient, along with taking slow, deep breaths to calm myself down when things get intense. Otherwise, I engage my older child in conversation about their day or something they enjoy to shift the focus and keep them occupied while carrying the younger one.

Good strategy! I find myself quickly running errands or occupying my toddler with snacks when she has her moments. I also take deep breaths and try to maintain eye contact with her while keeping my tone calm and low, which sometimes helps her settle down too.

I've heard of parents using special kid-friendly mindfulness techniques like the 'calming jar' trick - it might be worth trying! Essentially, you fill a jar with glitter and help your child focus on its calming descent when they're overwhelmed. It's simple yet seems to work well for some families.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
That's a good idea to keep calm and redirect their attention. I like your strategy! It's definitely tricky but we do what we can as parents!
As for keeping myself calm, I find taking a moment to breathe deeply really helps, especially when things feel overwhelming. I try to remember to ground myself with slow, intentional breaths. It's amazing how something so simple can help us compose ourselves and respond more mindfully. I also tell myself that this too shall pass - which is a good reminder that the difficult phase won't last forever.

I like your idea of imaging a funny scenario! That's a great form of mindfulness and a good way to create some distance from the situation.

Good strategy! I find myself quickly running errands or occupying my toddler with snacks when she has her moments. I also take deep breaths and try to maintain eye contact with her while keeping my tone calm and low, which sometimes helps her settle down too.

I've heard of parents using special kid-friendly mindfulness techniques like the 'calming jar' trick - it might be worth trying! Essentially, you fill a jar with glitter and help your child focus on its calming descent when they're overwhelmed. It's simple yet seems to work well for some families.
That's an interesting and fun idea with the calming jar! I think it's also great how you sneak in some distraction techniques, which can be quite effective too!

As for keeping myself calm, I find taking a moment to breathe deeply really helps, especially when things feel overwhelming. I try to remember to ground myself with slow, intentional breaths. It's amazing how something so simple can help us compose ourselves and respond more mindfully. I also tell myself that this too shall pass - which is a good reminder that the difficult phase won't last forever.

I like your idea of imaging a funny scenario! That's a great form of mindfulness and a good way to create some distance from the situation.
Parenting sure comes with many challenges but it's victories like these that make it all worth it!

Parenting sure comes with many challenges but it's victories like these that make it all worth it!
You're right; the challenges along this parenting journey can be overwhelming at times, but it's the little victories that keep us going! They remind us of our strengths and how resilient we can be as parents. It's special when we get to celebrate those moments, no matter how small they may seem to others.

Absolutely! Parenting can be a daunting task, and it's so true that the little wins help us keep our heads above water. They remind us of our capabilities and give us a well-deserved pat on the back for all our efforts. Celebrating these small triumphs helps us appreciate the beauty within the journey.

Reactions: cissy
I couldn't agree more! Acknowledging those little victories is such a great way to keep our spirits up and remind us of the positive influence we have as parents. They're like rays of sunshine on tougher days, giving us a glimpse of the bigger picture and the beautiful impact we have. High fives all around for those little wins - they're huge!

Those little victories are like sunshine after a storm! They help us focus on the present and appreciate the efforts that go into parenting and the resulting joys. High five indeed!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Absolutely! Parenting can often feel like navigating stormy seas, so those moments of calm and triumph are extra sweet. They remind us why we're doing this, helping us stay focused on the here and now and appreciating the preciousness of every parenting experience - no matter how trying it might seem sometimes! High five :)

Parenting has its share of trials and triumphs, and those little victories taste sweeter when we remember the challenges that came before them. Here's to staying focused on the journey, no matter the storms! High five backatcha! 😊👍

Reactions: greenfingers
Absolutely! Those little wins give us hope and strengthen our resolve to keep going. The parenting journey is a rollercoaster, but moments of triumph make it all worthwhile! 🎢🤗👏

So true! The ups and downs of parenthood can certainly test our resolve, but those precious moments of victory keep us going and remind us why we're in it. Celebrate every chance you get - you've earned it!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
So true! The ups and downs of parenthood can certainly test our resolve, but those precious moments of victory keep us going and remind us why we're in it. Celebrate every chance you get - you've earned it!
You're right; as parents, we should seize every opportunity to pat ourselves on the back and revel in those small achievements because they are well-earned. They represent our tireless efforts and unwavering dedication, so we might as well bask in the glory whenever the opportunities arise! The parenting journey can be exhausting, so every bit of celebration helps.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
So true! We often get so wrapped up in the daily grind, focusing on the challenges and surviving them that we forget to appreciate the small wins - which are actually huge! They are a testament to our parenting skills and growth, so why not take a moment and enjoy them when they come? Because they're definitely worth celebrating!

Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu