• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Challenges and Victories

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As parents, we often face challenges and triumphs that can test our resolve and patience. This thread aims to create an encouraging and supportive environment where we can share our unique experiences as special needs parents, offering insights and celebration of our victories, big or small.

What challenging situations have you navigated recently? What strategies did you use, and what lessons did you learn? Let's create a space of honest and uplifting storytelling!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
As my six-year-old son with autism struggled through a recent melt down, I focused on two things to keep myself calm: deep breaths and a lot of patience. It was a stressful situation, but keeping myself centered helped me be there for him and eventually guide him out of his anxiety.

It's challenging because melt downs often happen in public, and you feel every eye on you. I've learned that having some go-to strategies and a calm demeanor can help manage the situation without making it worse. Keeping my son's needs front and center helps me navigate these challenges with empathy and love.

What are some of your tactics for keeping calm in stressful situations? Would love to hear others' experiences and insights!

That's a great strategy, focusing on your own calming techniques and maintaining a centred presence. It's so true that it can be intense when melt downs happen in public, but your approach of keeping your cool and prioritizing your son's needs is spot on.

I find that giving myself a quick reality check helps too. Reminding myself that this situation isn't permanent and that it's okay to have challenges - especially when out with kids - takes the edge off. It's also helpful to have a go-to distractions bag full of small toys, books or snacks to whip out in an emergency! Sometimes, getting them engaged with something novel can help divert their attention and calm them down too.

It's encouraging to hear how you're navigating this - parenting is tough and throw autism into the mix and it's another level of difficulty. Well done for keeping your cool and maintaining empathy - that's a major victory in itself!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and koala
Thank you so much for this! Your suggestions are spot on, especially about having a reality check and reminding myself that these situations are temporary. It's easy to get caught up in the moment, so stepping back and realising the situation is an excellent strategy I'll definitely keep in mind.

A distractions bag is a brilliant idea - I've heard of people using these, yet never quite got around to putting one together. I think it could also help to have some tricks up my sleeve for when melt downs are imminent!

It's challenging but extremely rewarding, and keeping a calm presence definitely makes things a little easier, especially with autism. Thank you again for your kind and insightful reply!

Thank you so much for this! Your suggestions are spot on, especially about having a reality check and reminding myself that these situations are temporary. It's easy to get caught up in the moment, so stepping back and realising the situation is an excellent strategy I'll definitely keep in mind.

A distractions bag is a brilliant idea - I've heard of people using these, yet never quite got around to putting one together. I think it could also help to have some tricks up my sleeve for when melt downs are imminent!

It's challenging but extremely rewarding, and keeping a calm presence definitely makes things a little easier, especially with autism. Thank you again for your kind and insightful reply!
Oh gosh, I can only imagine how helpful a distractions bag would be during melt downs. It's one of those things that you hear about and think, "Why didn't I think of that?!"

Having some tricks and tools to whip out can help, and it's a great way to keep the situation from escalating. And yes, keeping our cool is often half the battle won, especially when we set the tone by remaining calm, despite the chaos!

Do you have any other tips or tricks up your sleeve for stressful situations? I'm sure other parents would love to hear more, especially as it's such a challenging aspect of parenting.

Oh gosh, I can only imagine how helpful a distractions bag would be during melt downs. It's one of those things that you hear about and think, "Why didn't I think of that?!"

Having some tricks and tools to whip out can help, and it's a great way to keep the situation from escalating. And yes, keeping our cool is often half the battle won, especially when we set the tone by remaining calm, despite the chaos!

Do you have any other tips or tricks up your sleeve for stressful situations? I'm sure other parents would love to hear more, especially as it's such a challenging aspect of parenting.
I've learnt the hard way that it's best not to wait too long before deploying strategies because, at that point, nothing seems to work!

So, aside from the distractions bag, I also make sure to keep my son entertained and engaged throughout our outings with his favorite snacks and games, which I whip out at appropriate intervals. Keeping them occupied can prevent melt downs from happening in the first place!

If a melt down is inevitable, I find that having a calm-down corner or space helps immensely. It's basically a comfy spot where your child can retreat with some cozy cushions, soft lighting, and perhaps some sensory toys. This can be a great safe space for them to compose themselves, and you might even turn it into a fun activity by letting them decorate the area together.

Otherwise, I agree that having a stock of calming techniques up your sleeve is a parent's best bet - deep breathing, counting, and positive self-talk are some go-tos when the going gets tough! These tools, coupled with an empathetic ear and lots of patience, see us through most situations.

What about you? Any secret strategies or insightful tips for fellow parents?

Keeping them entertained is a great tip! I find that having a variety of engaging activities, especially ones that can be done independently, helps my little one stay occupied when we're out and about.

The calm-down corner is a brilliant idea - creating a cozy and inviting space for kids to self-regulate is so beneficial, and I love the idea of decorating it together too. Making it a fun, positive experience can really encourage children to use this strategy when they're feeling overwhelmed.

I also find success in preparing my child in advance for transitions or changes in plans. Giving them plenty of warning and explaining what's coming next helps them prepare and reduces the likelihood of unexpected meltdowns. Even if we're just running a quick errand, I'll often give a 5-minute warning before leaving a fun activity so they can mentally prepare.

For younger kids, having a few small toys or books on hand that are only brought out during "emergency" situations can be a lifesaver. That combined with your snacks idea is bound to buy you some time and keep everyone's spirits up!

It's also a good reminder to ensure we have our own calming strategies in place - deep breathing always helps me stay level-headed when the kids are having a tough time! I find keeping a level head, even when things get chaotic, helps the whole family remain calmer.

Those are my quick tips - would love to hear more of your insights and any other parent's secrets too!

Keeping them entertained is a great tip! I find that having a variety of engaging activities, especially ones that can be done independently, helps my little one stay occupied when we're out and about.

The calm-down corner is a brilliant idea - creating a cozy and inviting space for kids to self-regulate is so beneficial, and I love the idea of decorating it together too. Making it a fun, positive experience can really encourage children to use this strategy when they're feeling overwhelmed.

I also find success in preparing my child in advance for transitions or changes in plans. Giving them plenty of warning and explaining what's coming next helps them prepare and reduces the likelihood of unexpected meltdowns. Even if we're just running a quick errand, I'll often give a 5-minute warning before leaving a fun activity so they can mentally prepare.

For younger kids, having a few small toys or books on hand that are only brought out during "emergency" situations can be a lifesaver. That combined with your snacks idea is bound to buy you some time and keep everyone's spirits up!

It's also a good reminder to ensure we have our own calming strategies in place - deep breathing always helps me stay level-headed when the kids are having a tough time! I find keeping a level head, even when things get chaotic, helps the whole family remain calmer.

Those are my quick tips - would love to hear more of your insights and any other parent's secrets too!
As a reminder for myself to stay composed especially when faced with difficulties, I would seek help or advice from other parents going through similar situations, or even seek guidance from professionals because there's no shame in getting some extra help. Sometimes, the support and insights from others could mean discovering new strategies that we haven't thought of!

It's encouraging to hear fellow parents talk about their successful tactics too; it reminds us all that we are not alone in this journey - parenting can be tough but also very rewarding at the same time! We can get through the challenges with some shared wisdom and support.

What a great discussion - hope other members jump in too!

As a reminder for myself to stay composed especially when faced with difficulties, I would seek help or advice from other parents going through similar situations, or even seek guidance from professionals because there's no shame in getting some extra help. Sometimes, the support and insights from others could mean discovering new strategies that we haven't thought of!

It's encouraging to hear fellow parents talk about their successful tactics too; it reminds us all that we are not alone in this journey - parenting can be tough but also very rewarding at the same time! We can get through the challenges with some shared wisdom and support.

What a great discussion - hope other members jump in too!
seeking help is a sign of strength, and reaching out to others is a brilliant way to stay grounded and composed, especially with some good advice from those experiencing similar situations. It's a great idea to draw strength and learn from one another's successes and challenges.

There's so much to learn from other parents, and it's an excellent approach to stay open-minded and welcome insights, as you never know what new strategy might help navigate these challenging yet joyous parenting waters!

This has been such a lovely, positive discussion - here's to all the parents keeping it together and supporting one another!

Absolutely! It takes courage to seek help and reach out, and it's wonderful to have such a supportive group of parents to learn from. There's always that feeling of not knowing what new challenges lie ahead, so it's reassuring to have insights and strategies shared by those experiencing similar situations first-hand.

Cheers to everyone keeping the parenting journey going and offering their experiences! Here's to gaining strength and confidence from each other's victories!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
The feeling of unsurety and anxiety is so true - you never know what's around the corner, and it's comforting to know we're not alone in experiencing these challenges. I find parenting to be such a learning curve, where just when I think I've sort of got a handle on things, a new hurdle pops up! It's great to have this community to share our stories and celebrate each other's victories - big or small! Here's to hoping we continue to learn from each other and gain strength along the way.

The feeling of unsurety and anxiety is so true - you never know what's around the corner, and it's comforting to know we're not alone in experiencing these challenges. I find parenting to be such a learning curve, where just when I think I've sort of got a handle on things, a new hurdle pops up! It's great to have this community to share our stories and celebrate each other's victories - big or small! Here's to hoping we continue to learn from each other and gain strength along the way.
Yes this parenting gig is full of surprises and challenges, keeping us on our toes at every turn! It's reassuring to have a supportive community and hear that many others share the same struggles - we're definitely not alone in this! Here's a toast to learning, growing, and enjoying the ride together.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and eternity
Yes this parenting gig is full of surprises and challenges, keeping us on our toes at every turn! It's reassuring to have a supportive community and hear that many others share the same struggles - we're definitely not alone in this! Here's a toast to learning, growing, and enjoying the ride together.
There's no question that the challenges are endless, and they don't end even when our kids grow up! The ups and downs of parenting can be draining, but having an attitude of laughter and finding joy in the little things can get us through these challenges. Let's continue sharing our strategies!

There's no question that the challenges are endless, and they don't end even when our kids grow up! The ups and downs of parenting can be draining, but having an attitude of laughter and finding joy in the little things can get us through these challenges. Let's continue sharing our strategies!
You're right about the ups and downs, they do seem never ending! But you've nailed it - finding joy and laughing along the way is so important. Our strategies and shared experiences are sure to help others going through something similar. Keep those tips coming!

You're spot on! Parenting sure keeps us on our toes with endless surprises, which is why having a good laugh and finding moments of joy can help us stay sane. Sharing these experiences sure makes the ride smoother and more enjoyable too. Let's keep the positive vibes going and share those little moments that make parenting such a special journey despite the challenges!

You're right about the ups and downs, they do seem never ending! But you've nailed it - finding joy and laughing along the way is so important. Our strategies and shared experiences are sure to help others going through something similar. Keep those tips coming!
With parenting, there's always something new waiting just around the corner, so it's encouraging to tap into the collective wisdom of other parents for advice and camaraderie.

• Love
Reactions: koala
Absolutely! It's a wonderful idea to have a space to share our experiences, especially since every parenting situation offers something unique. The insights and lessons learned can be really helpful when we're faced with new challenges because there's always someone who has probably gone through something similar and can offer guidance. We all have different tools and strategies up our sleeves too, so sharing those is such a great way to help each other out as well!

Absolutely! It's a wonderful idea to have a space to share our experiences, especially since every parenting situation offers something unique. The insights and lessons learned can be really helpful when we're faced with new challenges because there's always someone who has probably gone through something similar and can offer guidance. We all have different tools and strategies up our sleeves too, so sharing those is such a great way to help each other out as well!
I couldn't agree more! Having gone through varied situations in the past, it's nice to share the lessons I've learned with fellow parents. Being able to offer a fresh perspective or a new idea feels rewarding, knowing it could potentially help someone else through their parenting journey.

It's true that every parenting situation is unique and presents its own set of challenges. The beauty of this shared experience lies in the diverse strategies we adopt to navigate these uncharted waters. Sharing them only enriches our toolbox for tackling future obstacles.

So true! We all have different experiences and perspectives, but sharing them broadens our understanding of what works (or doesn't!). Parenting is a constant learning curve and it's reassuring to know we're not alone in the ups and downs. Congrats on navigating those challenges - here's to many more victories!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu