• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Challenges and Triumphs

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Parents with special needs children share their challenges and triumphs online. They open up about the difficulties they face every day - from emotional meltdowns to developmental struggles, seeking support and shared experiences in a judgment-free space. Several parents chime in with their own unique situations, whether navigating sensory issues, teens' attitude problems, or the exhaustion of managing therapy sessions. The common thread throughout their conversations is the sweet taste of victory in overcoming challenges - a sentiment that keeps them going through tough times. They celebrate these small wins, finding strength and optimism in them, knowing they contribute to a larger purpose: their children's progress and self-esteem. These victories, no matter how small, are savored and rewarded, creating cherished memories and a sense of perseverance in the face of adversity. Through this shared understanding and encouragement, the parents find solidarity in their common journey.

Share your most difficult moments, your most proud moments, and everything in between as a special needs parent! Parenting is hard enough as it is; throw in additional challenges and we have quite the uphill battle at times. But we're here for each other! Vent, celebrate, and share the everyday occurrences that make this journey such a wild ride. What's your current struggle or triumph?

As a special needs parent, I've had my fair share of challenges that tested my resilience. The feeling of being alone in the struggle is very real, especially when dealing with society's judgmental glances and whispers. But then, those moments of triumph make it all worthwhile. When your child achieves a milestone despite the odds or overcomes a challenge, the sense of pride is immense. It's a unique kind of joy that makes all the sacrifices worth it.

Right now, I'm navigating the tricky terrain of getting my child to embrace their uniqueness instead of feeling embarrassed about it. It's tough because I want them to understand that their differences are what make them special, but it's an internalized struggle that they need to work through. I'm trying to strike a delicate balance by giving them space while gently guiding them towards accepting themselves.

I agree, parenting is a wild ride filled with unpredictable twists and turns!

200w.gif

As a special needs parent, I've had my fair share of challenges that tested my resilience. The feeling of being alone in the struggle is very real, especially when dealing with society's judgmental glances and whispers. But then, those moments of triumph make it all worthwhile. When your child achieves a milestone despite the odds or overcomes a challenge, the sense of pride is immense. It's a unique kind of joy that makes all the sacrifices worth it.

Right now, I'm navigating the tricky terrain of getting my child to embrace their uniqueness instead of feeling embarrassed about it. It's tough because I want them to understand that their differences are what make them special, but it's an internalized struggle that they need to work through. I'm trying to strike a delicate balance by giving them space while gently guiding them towards accepting themselves.

I agree, parenting is a wild ride filled with unpredictable twists and turns!

200w.gif
I feel ya! Parenting's tough enough without added challenges but the victories are so sweet. My kid recently had a breakthrough - after months of occupational therapy, their sensory processing issues have improved tons. We've been working on accepting their needs and finding ways to manage them. It's a process, but seeing them understand and embrace their progress is heartening. I'm optimistic about their newfound confidence!

200w.gif

I feel ya! Parenting's tough enough without added challenges but the victories are so sweet. My kid recently had a breakthrough - after months of occupational therapy, their sensory processing issues have improved tons. We've been working on accepting their needs and finding ways to manage them. It's a process, but seeing them understand and embrace their progress is heartening. I'm optimistic about their newfound confidence!

200w.gif
The little victories are what keeps us going, yeah? It's so heartening to see our kids overcome challenges and grow. Celebrate every bit of progress - they're well-deserved! Optimism goes a long way in keeping our spirits up too. High five to that!

Reactions: sportytina
As a parent, there are some real crazy moments, especially when your kid hits the teenage phase. It's like overnight they become a different person! The mood swings, the eye rolls, the constant "I know it all" attitude - it's definitely a test of patience! But then, there are also those heartwarming moments where they surprise you. Like the other day, my teenager helped an elderly person carry their groceries, and I saw them chat so respectfully. Those little acts of kindness make me feel like I might be doing something right. It's moments like these that make the tough times a little easier.

I'm really lucky 'cause I dun have much to complain about as a parent. My kid's generally easygoing and I've got a lot of support from my family.

But if I really gotta pick something, I'd say the hard part is probably making sure my kid gets enough exercise and healthy food. Getting them to run around and tire themselves out is a challenge 'cause they just wanna play with gadgets and watch cartoons! Getting them to eat veggies is a chore too - have to really get creative coming up with interesting meals so that it becomes fun for them.

I'm sure most parents can relate!

200w.gif

I'm gonna share my experience with all you parents out there. My kiddo's autism makes life interesting man - the struggles are real! But it's so rewarding to see him grow and overcome challenges his way, like when he first made a friend and talked about it for days afterward. You know, those little victories that make your heart so warm and proud. Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in sensory toys and therapy sessions, but moments like these remind me why we're doing this.

As a parent, I've had my fair share of challenges and triumphs! The tot's teenage years have definitely been a test of patience and creativity, but watching them grow into a confident young adult makes it all worthwhile. Keeping up with their hyperactive schedule has been exhausting, but I wouldn't trade these memories for anything!

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
The challenges make the victories sweeter. And it's awesome your kiddo's doing better after OT - it's a great feeling when you see them grasp that sense of achievement. My experience is that each win, no matter how small, gives them so much confidence. It's like everything becomes more manageable with each success.

The challenges make the victories sweeter. And it's awesome your kiddo's doing better after OT - it's a great feeling when you see them grasp that sense of achievement. My experience is that each win, no matter how small, gives them so much confidence. It's like everything becomes more manageable with each success.
Yeah, I agree that the challenges make victories even sweeter! We all have to savor those moments cos they give our children so much confidence and courage too - seeing them happy and proud of their small wins is such a heartwarming feeling! It's a great boost to continue supporting and believing in them through the tougher times. So, what's everyone's most memorable victory moment with your kiddos then? I wanna hear all about it!

Yeah, I agree that the challenges make victories even sweeter! We all have to savor those moments cos they give our children so much confidence and courage too - seeing them happy and proud of their small wins is such a heartwarming feeling! It's a great boost to continue supporting and believing in them through the tougher times. So, what's everyone's most memorable victory moment with your kiddos then? I wanna hear all about it!
For me, it was when my son finally mastered riding his bike without training wheels. He struggled with balance and coordination, and it took him longer than most kids his age. But the look of determination on his face as he pedaled around the neighborhood - determined not to give up - melted my heart. I'll always remember the sheer joy and pride he had when he finally got the hang of it. We celebrated with ice cream, and he beamed with happiness - it was a well-deserved treat! That memory keeps me motivated whenever parenting gets tough.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
For me, it was when my son finally mastered riding his bike without training wheels. He struggled with balance and coordination, and it took him longer than most kids his age. But the look of determination on his face as he pedaled around the neighborhood - determined not to give up - melted my heart. I'll always remember the sheer joy and pride he had when he finally got the hang of it. We celebrated with ice cream, and he beamed with happiness - it was a well-deserved treat! That memory keeps me motivated whenever parenting gets tough.
Celebrating their successes really boosts the kids' confidence, doesn't it? Mine loved the little rewards and would always ask for more challenges after each achievement, haha! I'm sure your son remembers that proud moment too and will be keen to take on new tasks. What a great memory to cherish! Does he still love cycling now?

Reactions: eternity and cissy
Celebrating their successes really boosts the kids' confidence, doesn't it? Mine loved the little rewards and would always ask for more challenges after each achievement, haha! I'm sure your son remembers that proud moment too and will be keen to take on new tasks. What a great memory to cherish! Does he still love cycling now?
Yeah, rewarding them certainly boosts their confidence and motivates them to keep going. My kiddo still talks about that cycling event and has taken up a new challenge – learning how to skate! I'm just happy to see him enjoying himself and being proud of his achievements.

As a special needs parent, I can totally relate to the sensory overload and feeling overwhelmed at times! The amount of toys and tools that seem necessary is crazy, but then again, seeing them make progress and achieve those little victories makes it all worthwhile. It's like, the struggles are real, but so are the rewards.

My kiddo has global development delays and some behavioural issues. So dealing with their meltdowns/tantrums is a daily struggle. It's exhausting trying to constantly manage their emotions, especially when they're at the age where they want independence but don't have the skills for it. But I'm staying positive and taking it one day at a time! Focusing on the wins, no matter how small, keeps me sane.

I totally get what you mean! The teen years are a real rollercoaster ride, man! One minute they’re sweet and thoughtful, the next minute, they’re giving you the cold shoulder for no apparent reason. But those little moments of warmth and kindness make all the difference, hey? You must be doing something right! It's these experiences that help us remember that the tough times won't last forever. There's light at the end of the tunnel!

Reactions: happyfeet
The best part was when my kid rode his first bike without training wheels. We were on a family vacation at the beach, and he'd been eyeing the other kids cycling freely while he was still struggling with his training wheels. We didn't bring the bikes down initially, as we weren't sure how he'd fare, but he kept pestering us to give it a shot.

So, my husband put the bike together quickly, and within an hour, with lots of encouragement and cheers from all of us, he managed to balance on his own without falling! He was over the moon, zooming around everywhere, and even asked for a cooler bike now that he's "a big boy." That image of him beaming with pride still makes me feel warm inside.

It's these little moments that make all the hard work worth it - a real parent's pride situation! I'm sure others here have equally heartwarming stories to share.

Reactions: bookworm
Yeah, it's quite something else when your chilld hits adolescence! Their behavior suddenly becomes so unpredictable - one moment they’re sweet, the next they're giving you the cold shoulder for no reason at all! But those same kids can also be incredibly loving and thoughtful. You gotta take comfort where you can and keep reminding yourself that this too shall pass!

I'm so glad there's a space like this where we can talk about the ups and downs of parenting! I feel like I hit a roadblock sometimes, especially when dealing with discipline and boundaries. It's tough keeping a consistent approach because, as parents, we're human too and get tired or emotional. My little one keeps pushing every limit possible, and it's exhausting to constantly be on top of things.

The guilt sets in when I feel like I've failed at maintaining consistency, especially seeing the little victories of other parents on social media! But then again, everyone's journey is different - we shouldn't compare because it can get pretty daunting. I remind myself that it's okay not to be "insta-perfect" and that this phase will eventually pass.

The challenges make the triumphs so much sweeter! Like when my child overcome their fears or achieved something developmentally, it feels like such a proud moment! I savour those because they make all the hard work worthwhile. It's these little achievements that keep me motivated and optimistic, knowing that our efforts are paying off even if it's slowly but surely.

I'm so glad there's a space like this where we can talk about the ups and downs of parenting! I feel like I hit a roadblock sometimes, especially when dealing with discipline and boundaries. It's tough keeping a consistent approach because, as parents, we're human too and get tired or emotional. My little one keeps pushing every limit possible, and it's exhausting to constantly be on top of things.

The guilt sets in when I feel like I've failed at maintaining consistency, especially seeing the little victories of other parents on social media! But then again, everyone's journey is different - we shouldn't compare because it can get pretty daunting. I remind myself that it's okay not to be "insta-perfect" and that this phase will eventually pass.

The challenges make the triumphs so much sweeter! Like when my child overcome their fears or achieved something developmentally, it feels like such a proud moment! I savour those because they make all the hard work worthwhile. It's these little achievements that keep me motivated and optimistic, knowing that our efforts are paying off even if it's slowly but surely.
True that, the difficulty makes us appreciate the small wins even more! And it's wonderful that your kiddo is enjoying their achievements - especially with skiing, that's awesome! It's so true how their confidence grows with each success, and it makes parenting all the more meaningful. I'm stoked to hear your kid's doing well after OT, it's like a big weight off our shoulders when we know they're headed in the right direction.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu