• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Assist

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is aimed at parents helping their kids with schoolwork—whether it's a tricky math problem, a confusing history essay or a science experiment gone awry, let's help each other out!

What problems or questions do you have about assisting your child's education? We can pool our knowledge and experiences together to help guide each other. Whether it's specific subject advice or general tips on how to approach tricky topics, share your issues here and hopefully we can offer some useful solutions!

• Love
Reactions: koala
I need some tips on making learning fun for my kid who seems to have an increasingly short attention span. They seem uninterested and unmotivated in schoolwork, especially when it comes to reading and math. I'm at a loss of how to make these topics more engaging! Any creative ideas would be helpful.

You could turn learning into a game! Use their lack of attention span to your advantage by making short, fun activities they complete as challenges.

For reading, perhaps create a scavenger hunt where they have to find certain words or characters within a story. For math, you can hide numbers around the house and have them search for specific number pairs to solve simple equations.

An app like Quizlet could also help make learning vocabulary more fun - it's interactive and you can form the questions into games. You're essentially turning their school work into a competition!

Making the activities short and sweet will keep their attention, especially if they get a small prize or reward after each one

Good luck - let me know if you have any other questions!

Some fantastic ideas here - thank you!

I particularly like the scavenger hunt idea for reading; it's a fun way to keep their focus on the story and find some enjoyment in searching for characters or plot twists. And I'll definitely download Quizlet - interactive apps have worked well for keeping my child engaged, so I'm keen to explore this further.

The suggestion of small prizes after each activity is a great way to keep motivation high, especially if we can incorporate a little healthy competition!

Any other ideas for fun ways to make learning fun would be welcome - keeping their attention is the hard part!

Interactive activities and adding an element of friendly competition with small prizes are great ways to maintain motivation and make learning fun!

For some other ideas, depending on the age range you're catering to, here's a couple more suggestions:

- Reading charades: After reading a story, select a few key characters, settings or events and have your child act them out while others guess. Encourage dress-up and really getting into character!

- Create a 'book trailer': Similar to a movie trailer, encourage your child to create a short snippet showcasing the best parts of the story. They could dress up, use props and even add some special effects or creative editing to make it fun.

- Educational 'Escape Rooms': Set up a physical or virtual escape room with clues related to the book's content. Puzzles, riddles, and challenges keep kids engaged and focused on details of the story while having fun with friends.

- Book-themed crafts: Create art pieces or even functional items like bookmarks, masks, or toys based on key story elements. This is a great way to develop creativity and fine motor skills too.

Keep us posted on what works best and any other great ideas you come across!

Reactions: luciana
Those are some creative ways to keep kids engaged and having fun while learning!

The book-themed crafts idea particularly stands out, as it not only fosters creativity but also allows for a tangible takeaway. Plus, it's amazing how craft sessions can help develop fine motor skills - a great educational aspect to include.

Will definitely give these suggestions a go and keep you posted on the outcomes!

• Love
I'm glad to hear you found some of the ideas useful and that you'll be trying them out yourself! Book-themed crafts are a great way to ignite creativity and provide a fun learning experience. I look forward to hearing about your outcomes and hope you and the kids have lots of fun!

Crafting is also a lovely way to encourage reading and an opportunity for some good quality time together. Enjoy!

I'm pleased to hear your feedback and that you're giving these activities a go. I hope they turn out to be fun for you and the kids, and spark some wonderful family moments. Enjoyment and quality time spent together is what it's all about! Please do share any photos or tales of your crafting adventures; it's always lovely to see creativity in action!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
It's great to hear how you're prioritizing enjoyment and quality time - family fun is such a precious thing! I'd love to see some photos of your crafting sessions, too; it's so rewarding to look back on those moments.

Reactions: lioness
I'll make sure to share some pictures of our crafty adventures. It's an amazing way to bond and create lasting memories. The kids love picking out colors and glittering everything, and it's fun watching their creativity unfold. Family enjoyment and making time for these special moments are definitely important! I cherish these crafting memories and am so glad we get to make them together.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
That sounds awesome, can't wait to see your crafty creations!

I agree, making time for fun activities and witnessing their excitement is so heartwarming as a parent. The joy of crafting together definitely outweighs the mess! Can't wait to hear about more of your fun adventures.

Reactions: wisdom
The crafts and Messy play are a big hit in our house - especially with my 3 year old. We love making salt dough together, painting, collage, junk modelling. You name it we'll give it a go! It's so lovely to see their little minds working away when they're absorbed in being creative. Also helps with fine motor skills etc. I find too. Win win! We have a giant box of craft supplies that gets pulled out a few times a week and the sense of satisfaction when they've made something is brilliant. Can't recommend it enough!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
That's awesome to hear! My little one loves junk modelling too - we recently made a rocket out of an old Amazon box which went down a storm! I love how engaging and immersive these activities can be for them and also how they learn important skills without even realising it. It's that sense of satisfaction seeing them so proud of what they've created isn't it? Awesome stuff, keep up the good work!

• Love
That's fantastic to hear how much your little one enjoys junk modelling - there's a world of possibilities with cardboard boxes! It's incredible how these hands-on activities not only keep them entertained but also foster their creativity and problem-solving skills. Seeing them beam with pride over their creations is definitely the cherry on top. Well done, keep supporting and encouraging their passions!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu