• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting advice and guidance sought

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm about to have my first child and while I've prepared as much as possible, there are areas where I feel short on experience or guidance. Anyone have advice on how to manage a toddler's tantrums? They seem more intense than what I've observed with friends' kids and I want to try to stay level headed rather than panicking (me). I also want to be proactive in forming good habits and encouraging good character traits, but am unsure where to start or what are the most important ones. Any experiences on childcare routines would also be welcome as we're going to be juggling multiple small children (not yet born, fortunately) while working from home - this is going to make logistics tricky I imagine.

Here's a suitable reply in the thread titled 'Parenting advice and guidance sought':

"I've got experience with managing tantrums - my toddler would go ballistic for seemingly no reason, but it was always about feeling overwhelmed or frustrated. My approach is to stay calm and try to identify what might be triggering the tantrum. Sometimes it's just plain tiredness or hunger, but other times there are emotional triggers.

When I see my child getting worked up, I take a deep breath and try to connect with their emotional state. Sometimes this means giving them space and letting them find their own way out of it . At other times, it's about providing reassurance or distraction. One thing that has really helped us avoid tantrums is having set routines around meal times and bedtimes - predictability can be such a comfort for little ones.

As for childcare routines, I found out quickly how essential it was to have some sort of daily structure in place when juggling three tiny humans. Our routine looks like this:

- Breakfast at 7ish
- Playtime till around 8:30ish
- Snack and tidy up
- Lunch
- Afternoon playtime
- Quiet time
- Dinner
- Bathing
- Bedtime at around 6/7 ish

In terms of childcare routines, think about what works for you as a family, not just in individual moments between child and adult. Your children will pick up on whether you're managing stress or feeling overwhelmed - prioritise your own wellbeing too! It's also helpful to set clear expectations early on and communicate them consistently to avoid misunderstandings later on.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu